The Over 50K debt Club - Join Here!!

Options
I'm not meaning to sound glib about my debts, in fact the reason I have started this thread is because I am still scared (despite all the great support on here). When I read about other people's experiences I do sympathise, and I understand completely that debt is a relative thing - being £10K in debt is very worrying if you have barely anything coming in. But my debts do sound huge compared to many others on this forum - and I just wanted to hear from other DFWs who are in the same position as me.

My DMP with Payplan has just started. But I am very worried about how quickly the interest is mounting on my cards. I would be interested to know how creditors treat you when you have this much debt? Is it as varied as the treatment of those with lesser debts? So far, the majority of my creditors have been OK, but I still get a nagging doubt from time to time that this is the calm before the storm!! And they still keep piling on that interest - hitting me where it hurts.

Doesn't matter how you got here, well it does but that's another discussion for later, if you are proud to be dealing with debts of over £50K, please post here and let me know that I'm not alone .
I'm moving on up now,
Out of the darkness,
My life shines on, my life shines on, my life shines on ;)
Member of Payplan since March 2007 (realistic debt free date May 2011):T
No 17 of the Mutual Support Club and proud of it :p

Comments

• lonely_2
    lonely_2 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    OK, I'll let you join if you have £40K worth of debt then ;)

Is there nobody else out there?
    I'm moving on up now,
    Out of the darkness,
    My life shines on, my life shines on, my life shines on ;)
    Member of Payplan since March 2007 (realistic debt free date May 2011):T
    No 17 of the Mutual Support Club and proud of it :p
  • olivetrees
    olivetrees Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    hey!

I owe over £43,000 - I'll be in your club!

I know exactly how you feel - I think if I 'only' owed 10k I would be SO happy and relieved but to other people thats a fortune!

Just briefly - as dinner is on! Payplan and CCCS would not take me on (lightweights;-)) I tried to do a self administered DMP by chickened out so I'm now my DMP starts with Myvesta at the end of this month.

So far none of my creditors have been particulaly helpful - but it's early days!!

Let me know how you are getting on

xxxx
    LBM 1st Feb 07 Abbey 12900 Cahoot 7000 HSBC 5058.32 Mint 500 Mint 3500 [STRIKE]Friend 1500 [[/STRIKE]STRIKE][STRIKE]Abbey - 540 Barclays 900 [STRIKE]Student loan - 734 cleared 30/06/10[/STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][strike]HSBC CC - £602.74[/STRIKE] cleared 27/03/07 [strike]Abbey CC - £5055.64[/strike] Cleared 28/8/07 F&F £1770.00 [strike]Black Horse £738.56[/strike] cleared 19/02/07 [strike]MBNA £5104.88[/strike] Cleared 20/08/07 F&F £1605.00
  • 4maxine
    4maxine Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lonely,

I started a year and a half ago with just over 50k. After the shock of my LBM I decided to start a DMP with Payplan. They have been absolutely fantastic :T .
    They will try their very best to get the interest on your cards, loans and overdrafts frozen so you have a fighting chance of seeing your debt go down.
    As for your creditors, at first they are a bit of a pain in the neck (major understatement here :rolleyes: ) but after a while they realise that you are not trying to avoid your debt. Payplan is a very reputable company and most banks and ccs trust them.
    I am now down to about 45k and things are good. I am so used to the dd coming out of my bank that I don't even notice anymore. Of course, things are very tight - that's why I spend so much time on this board ;) but the peace of mind is priceless.

If you need moral support this is the best place to be.
    2009: Headphones, Nintendo DSi , Baking Kit
    2010: Jan:T-shirt, 2xBooks, Headphones, Elvis CD, Buffera, Scarf Feb:CD, 2xBooks, Mascara, 3xT-shirts Mar: Lip balm, 2xBooks, 2xCD, mask, Koala, 6xCinema tickets, Chocolate box, Drive Backup Pro Apr: Elemis cream, Elemis Skin Buff

• smilealot
    smilealot Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi lonely! I love your new club :T

Can't join unfortunately, although I'm sure I could nudge my way up to the over £50k given half a chance... hmm!

Just wanted to wish you and everyone else who's in the same boat all the best.

smilealot
    :rolleyes2
    Member #4 of the DMP Mutual Support Club - DFW Nerd #335
    Debt at March 2007: £26,728.32
    Current debt: £0
  • 4maxine
    4maxine Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks smilealot, if you want I am sure I could spare some of my debt so you could join the club ;)
    2009: Headphones, Nintendo DSi , Baking Kit
    2010: Jan:T-shirt, 2xBooks, Headphones, Elvis CD, Buffera, Scarf Feb:CD, 2xBooks, Mascara, 3xT-shirts Mar: Lip balm, 2xBooks, 2xCD, mask, Koala, 6xCinema tickets, Chocolate box, Drive Backup Pro Apr: Elemis cream, Elemis Skin Buff

• hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Count me in x
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Bunnyinthelights Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lonely,
    I started my DMP a year ago with CCCS and at that point my debt was £51k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now under £49 (woohoo) and doing great. It took about 3 month for it all to calm down, gained a CCJ and very thick skin but I have a better life now.

Count me in if I'm still allowed, lol

Bunny
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • doitmyself
    doitmyself Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    Yep I'm in, not wanting to be elitist or anything... :)
  • JoJo_Sparkly
    Options
    Hi
    I'm up for joining too- My debt has risen since being on my DMP with CCCS as some CCs won't stop interest. There is light at the end of the tunnel but Oh Boy it's such a very , very long way off!

Jojo
  • savvykaz
    savvykaz Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - can I join too?

I'm not on a DMP or any other management plan, just tackling the debts ourselves, but this is totally within our means :o
    DMP starts June 2012, £38,180.

Balance June 2015 £26,046 (paid off 32%)

DMP mutual support thread no 434
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport