Budget for Xmas

Glad
Glad Posts: 18,864
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Senior Ambassador
Make a list of all the food items that you buy every Xmas, and that have a shelf life of longer than 15 weeks (that's right peeps 15 weeks and it'll all be over),
buy one of these items each week with your weekly shop to cut down on the large bill just before Xmas  :)
Things with a shorter shelf life can be saved for weeks nearer Xmas
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622
    First Post
    Forumite
    What a great idea, glad!

Also, get a regular savers account which will take interest off you if you make more than one withdrawal a year. Pay in a set amount each month (£20 does it for me) and hey presto - £240 for xmas pressies and nights out!

Of course, I always realise in November that I have no idea where my passbook is to actually get the money out, but I always find it before Christmas Eve :D
  • Great idea Glad

I'm going to have to keep the stuff well hidden from the family though ;D
    Regards

Mark
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,553
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think there is a web site called organizedchristmas.com

A bit over the to as it's American but has some useful tips and pages to print out.
  • jaybee
    Forumite
    No you aren't, but I find it helps to think about in little bits rather than a huge out-of-hand panic at the end!

PS Noticed Christmas Cards in Marks & Spencer yesterday :o
  • Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • jaybee
    Forumite
    We've agreed to just give to the youngsters now. It all gets too out of hand these days.
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Very nice one, Glad! Bravo.

Just shows what a bit of organisation and common sense can do. :D
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I save all my Tesco Clubcard Reward Vouchers through the year and use them in the weeks leading up to Christmas for all the extras. I can usually get up to about £200 in the year by using my Tesco credit card for my business travelling, hotels petrol etc.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,940
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Last year I bought two Christmas items every week from the 1st of Oct. My Christmas week shop was then no more expensive than usual.
    A great idea thanks for reminding me to do it again this year. - Now what shelf are the mince pies on?
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure