Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Organic food in supermarkets - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Organic food in supermarkets

edited 10 October 2012 at 7:25PM in Gone Off!
2.9K replies 227K views

Replies

• KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had Veg Living in the past, Morrisons stock it I think - my local one is also a hellhole due to the people but the veg has gone very upmarket in there in types available though sadly lacking in organic. GD had the offer code on their facebook page up to 31 Oct so presume it must be an ongoing discount one way or another, will def be ordering from there at some point.
  • I will try it too I think but hey I was looking at Whole Foods website today and they are now doing UK-wide delivery of hampers starting from 13.99 via the High St Ken store. I called and asked when they are going to do groceries and they couldn't give me a timeline yet and took my details for Marketing dept.

I want to get deliveries from Whole Foods !

The uber-hot Alexander Skarsgard (True Blood, Generation Kill, Battleship, Straw Dogs, Hidden, Zoolander to name but a few) shops at Whole Foods btw ..he's been papped at stores in Hollywood and Vancouver several times.

Anyway off to do an Abel & Cole shop, really like their eggs. Made Pot au Feu (vegetarian vegan dish) last night and used Ocado organic carrots and have to say they tasted great.
  • Soil Association members..

Goodness Direct offer £10 off runs to end of December for orders over £35 see members' pages website

Planet Organic 10% off orders see members' pages and looking at website orders over £35 delivered free. Food marked FRESH is only available in London.
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »
    I will try it too I think but hey I was looking at Whole Foods website today and they are now doing UK-wide delivery of hampers starting from 13.99 via the High St Ken store. I called and asked when they are going to do groceries and they couldn't give me a timeline yet and took my details for Marketing dept.

I want to get deliveries from Whole Foods !

The uber-hot Alexander Skarsgard (True Blood, Generation Kill, Battleship, Straw Dogs, Hidden, Zoolander to name but a few) shops at Whole Foods btw ..he's been papped at stores in Hollywood and Vancouver several times.

Anyway off to do an Abel & Cole shop, really like their eggs. Made Pot au Feu (vegetarian vegan dish) last night and used Ocado organic carrots and have to say they tasted great.

Aww lust central for him, if he shopped in London WF I would hang out in there!

Whole Foods are supposedly opening a big new store in Richmond, they've been building it for something like 3 years though but I will be shopping there when it does finally open.

Olivers in Kew is a great, albeit small, shop in Kew if you are ever over in that direction for organic, natural products and I can get a lot of vegan stuff I can't get elsewhere - Jerry Hall has been spotted in there I believe though she does live in the area.

Went to Waitrose this morning to get bits I can't get anywhere else, Taifun tofu, org agave etc. I couldn't carry everything though but want to go back in this week as the Duchy organic light brown SR flour is on offer and it's really nice for cakes.
  • Thought I'd stop in here. I've always bought organic items which I like (e.g. I always insist on organic carrots, standard are tasteless!) but trying to up the organic items where possible.
    Kirri wrote: »
    Whole Foods are supposedly opening a big new store in Richmond, they've been building it for something like 3 years though but I will be shopping there when it does finally open.

Olivers in Kew is a great, albeit small, shop in Kew if you are ever over in that direction for organic, natural products and I can get a lot of vegan stuff I can't get elsewhere - Jerry Hall has been spotted in there I believe though she does live in the area.

I shop in the Ken branch fairly regularly, Richmond is due to open next year. I'm moving to North London soon though, so probably going to switch to Planet Organic as there'll be a branch about 10 mins away.

Ditto the Olivers recommendation, brilliant little shop. Pethers butcher in Kew is really good as well, although I'm not sure what in there is organic. Everything is free range though, which is a start.
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Lust central.. lurve that expression Kirri ! Dr Skarsgard is pretty much into
    the whole green-animals-anti-discrimination stuff judging by photos and charity stuff :T

Richmond.. lovely place but on the Tube from central London it takes longer to get to than from my house to central London - which is pretty daft because I live more than 70 miles outside of London now !

Laverstoke Park Farm has opened it's own butchers in Twickenham June last year at 35 King Street Parade but when my husband is anywhere near Twickenham he'd be too plastered after rugby to buy anything :rotfl:One time he called me from the train saying he was on his way to Portsmouth :eek: He managed to get on the wrong train.. from entirely the wrong station :D

LondonDreamer.. Daylesford has a shop in Notting Hill as well ;) Lurve their chicken and free range organic eggs.

Tonight we had some Hampshire Game venison burgers from Abel & Cole. OH couldn't remember whether farmed or wild. Rather dense, dark, earthy and also tasted a bit fishy to me so OH ate mine as well. Maybe these burgers were made from hung venison ???
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he is perfect in all ways then! (though I did prefer the longer hair look in TB1 but either way fine and fangs preferable!).

My mum uses the Laverstoke Twick shop, I saw the Hairy Bikers visit there in an episode and after googling realised about the shop just down the road! They don't get great reviews on their Ocado items strangely but the shop is popular and my mum has found the meat really good. Given the state of the rugby fans in the pubs on match days I'm not surprised he got on the wrong train!!!

LD - I don't know Pethers, or is that the one with the hot chickens outside?
    9.2K posts
    Now that we're on page three, for the benefit of anyone starting to read here rather than from the beginning, this thread is all about organic food.

Organic food is not necessarily more nutritious than non-organic food though it can be. It doesn't always taste hugely better, though it often does (organic unsmoked bacon is amazing). It can be a lot more expensive too. Nor is organic ice cream or chocolate less calorific than non-organic.

So why buy it ? The big selling points are firstly that it isn't full of chemicals and E numbers and secondly that the welfare standards for the animals are higher than normal.

Recently, Rip Off Food presented by Gloria Hunniford looked at organic food. The programme concluded that if you're on a budget and can't afford to go all-organic, then the things to choose were organic eggs, chicken and pork.

Organic food can be difficult to find in supermarkets and prices vary wildly so that's why this thread is here. Offers, reviews (and please join in even if it's to review a YS organic product), alternative stores (Approved Food sells organic food) the idea is to help anyone interested in eating organic even some of the time.

Just found Ectopia in Gloucestershire which delivers UK wide and orders over £50 get free delivery. https://www.ecotopia.co.uk
    9.2K posts
    Kirri you must have posted same time as me, only just seen your post..weird.

Absolutely perfect in every way.. <smirk> That's my Christmas present sorted ! (Pretty Please Father Christmas) It's the voice rather than fangs for me.

Laverstoke Park.. Sainsbury's sells some of their range, Ocado does and so does Abel & Cole. The last two don't seem to sell the same stuff though.

The buffalo burgers are great IMO ditto the lamb bones and beef bones for stock. To me, Brescia Mozzarella is better though. OH wasn't keen on the beer. HUGE admiration for Jody Scheckter. Man with vision.

If you look on the website there's a vid of Damon Hill opening the shop Kirri.

Had Daylesford chicken legs roasted in oven with Old Bay seasoning. Am coming to conclusion that I like the Daylesford chicken best.
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »
    If you look on the website there's a vid of Damon Hill opening the shop Kirri.

I'd have given in and bought some meat had I seen that he would be opening the shop! Will check out the vid :D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support