Organic food in supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Duchy Originals from Waitrose organic chocolate covered ginger biscuits.

First off, they are even smaller than usual ginger nuts and you only get 8-10 for the price. I bought from Ocado on offer but they are now 2.55 and just not worth it because the chocolate is poor quality. OH couldn't even taste the ginger and the labrador turned his nose up and wouldn't eat them.

You know biscuits must be pretty bad when a labrador won't eat them :D
  • Edwardia
    Options
    Snapped up in Sainsbury's Monday, Moo organic UHT milk (all types) normally £1 per litre, bought 2 for 1.50

Not on offer but mention because they are cute.. one person Duchy Originals from Waitrose organic Christmas pudding.. think they were 2.49, got one for OH for last lunch at work before Christmas. Other bigger sizes available too..

OH says the best organic baguettes are the Waitrose ones at 99p and he quite likes the Lurpak organic spreadable (so far only found in Ocado)

Waitrose has Higgidy pies and quiches on special offer, fed freezer with more on Monday. ;)
  • Edwardia
    Options
    Waitrose has put the 24 organic Weetabix up from 2.69 to 2.99 but they were still 2.69 in Sainsbury's Monday.

Kallo is doing an organic chicken gravy sachet for 89p, spotted them in Waitrose.
  • Edwardia
    Options
    Not sure whether it's organic but I know a lot of people like it and Iceland has the 800g loaf for just £1 at the moment.

Heinz does organic cream of tomato soup and baked beans so far but I seem to recall that none of their tinned pastas or soups have artificial colourings, flavourings or preservatives.

Iceland has Heinz big soups 2 for 1.50 and 4packs of Heinz spaghetti two packs ie 8 cans for £3
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not really done any shopping for meal items - but just to add a recommendation, for anyone who eats it (!) that Taifun organic tofu with almonds is lovely and much easier to use because of the consistency and flavour than normal softer tofu. Not cheap, paid £2.79 from Ocado but did 3 meals from that and probably could have done 4. Yet to find this on the high street but not been round them all yet, will probably order from Goodness Direct next time as they have a much bigger range.

Re the Duchy biscuits, I used to love the coconut ones but think they stopped making them ages ago :(
  • Edwardia
    Options
    I bought some organic vegan tofu with basil in Waitrose on Monday Kirri which was 2.79 so maybe same brand ? Used in salad cubed up and did me two salads. Rather good, very strong basil taste.
  • Kirri
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    I bought some organic vegan tofu with basil in Waitrose on Monday Kirri which was 2.79 so maybe same brand ? Used in salad cubed up and did me two salads. Rather good, very strong basil taste.

Ooh yes must be as I saw the Basil variety from Taifun on the Ocado site, had good reviews, I will try and do a visit to Waitrose then :D
  • Edwardia
    Options
    If you have a myWaitrose card take it with you Kirri as you can get a free drink, money off a newspaper and a free copy of Waitrose Kitchen at the moment.

Had a convo with a guy from Customer Services at Ocado today with a delicious South African accent and had a slight whinge about lack of organic fresh veg.

Abel & Cole has whole organic celeriac for 1.69, Romanesco cauliflower for 2.15 each, organic chard for 1.95, organic kale 400g for 1.59, Jerusalem artichokes 400g 1.45 and lots more.. purple carrots anyone ?

Also they are doing Christmas fruit & veg boxes for 6-8 people for £25 - parsnips, spuds, brussels sprouts, clementines, lemons, onions, carrots, red cabbage, rosemary, thyme and parsley - all organic.

Abel & Cole offers currently include 10% off Brown Cow Christmas Pudding organic yogurt 155g (sounds intriguing), Lye Cross Farm organic Red Leicester 245g, Laverstoke Park Farm organic buffalo Mozzarella 125g (though personally I think the Brescia brand from Ocado is better), whole wild pheasant 650g min and Mr Organic baked beans.

Ocado has some of the Lye Cross Farm cheese on offer atm too but looks like offers change 06/11
  • Kirri
    Options
    I have a myWaitrose card and always forget to scan it without fail! You've just reminded me of the freebies though ie the paper etc which is good. I have also won a comp through my card! I want to try and get to Waitrose next week.

I grew purple carrots this year and white ones! and you've reminded me my artichokes should be ready. Morrisons org carrots were £1 today, not sure if that is normal or offer but they were nice slim, small ones so should taste good and they were UK ones. I hate organic food being shipped in when it is still in season here. The Lye Cross cheese is good, never had the Laverstoke one as it has rennet in annoyingly. Like the sound of the A&C Christmas box.
  • Edwardia
    Options
    Kirri how much did the organic carrots weigh, do you recall ?

Organic carrots

500g
    Abel & Cole 90p
    Waitrose 89p (Waitrose and Ocado)

700g
    Tesco 1.10

750g
    Sainsbury's SO 1.10
    ASDA £1

1kg
    Waitrose 1.69 ( Waitrose and Ocado)

1.2kg
    Ocado 1.84
    Tesco 1.80

I have a carrot-eating labrador, who hasn't turned orange yet so we have loads..

Well done on winning comp .. hope it's all vegan.. well done with that I'd miss fish now :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure