Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Organic food in supermarkets - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Organic food in supermarkets

edited 10 October 2012 at 7:25PM in Gone Off!
2.9K replies 227K views

Replies

• KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, only a small amount but think they more fell into the 'baby carrot type of premium range' than the bog standard sized/priced ones but they looked worth buying. Morries near me have gone all upmarket on veg after a shop re-fit. I used to have a dog who ate carrots, I thought it was unusual but then maybe not if you have one!!!!

Luckily I won (3 big desserts!) when veggie and not temporarily vegan :D
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    speaking of carrots, I got organic Asda carrots this week, and they were the biggest carrots I've ever seen and tasted amazing raw
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    berbastrike I think the ASDA organic stuff is good too and great on price BUT my local store only has carrots and mushrooms occasionally plus tinned organic tomatoes (not at all bad). No fresh organic meat or poultry at all (sorry Kirri ex veggie here married a carnivore)

I used to go to Lidl (carrots, Heirloom tomatoes, mushrooms), ASDA (carrots if Lidl out of stock plus mushrooms, tinned toms, EV olive oil) then Sainsbury's (rib eye, rump or sirloin steaks, lamb chops, Cloud Nine meatballs, lamb and beef mince, chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, fresh veg) and Waitrose (fresh veg if out of stock Sainsbury's, offers, bacon) every week but it was just too much running around.

Now I use Ocado and Abel & Cole mostly with forays into Waitrose and Sainsbury's -my mother still lurves shopping. Ocado is actually really competitive on price now for lots of things. Certainly it often beats Sainsbury's and Tesco on veg prices.
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I don't eat it now, am shocked that your local Asda have no org meat but then again I struggle to get the dried basics in my town and end up going to another town to go to Waitrose. If I could just only go to Waitrose easily I wouldn't bother going anywhere else at all.
    9.2K posts
    Have to say I'm not shocked at ASDA as in my town Morrisons and Lidl don't stock organic either though both have organic ranges. In fact plain fresh meat and poultry at my local ASDA takes up less than one side of an aisle, it's all ready meals.

My local Waitrose and my mother's local Waitrose are both pretty small so they don't stock anywhere near as much as Ocado. My mother is a lifelong Sainsbury's fan but she's really loving visiting Waitrose now. She really lurves their bread.

I've done product requests to Ocado for our favourite organic things from other supermarkets eg the Heirloom organic tomatoes (not own brand) at Lidl, Respect organic carrot cake (Sainsbury's, Tesco) and Cloud Nine organic meatballs (Sainsbury's) and other stores eg Kraft Dinner organic macaroni cheese (Amazon).

I can live in hope I guess :D
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never had one product added to Ocado from my requests pah! I've requested some fairly well known organic brands too albeit not ultra mainstream.

Asda used to stock the Respect organic carrot cake, I've not bought it for a while as I've been baking so much so not sure if they still stock it, it's SO good!

As for normal organic foods, I find unfortunately I have to shop in more expensive areas (house price wise) to get what I want.
    9.2K posts
    The ranges of organic veg and bread could be better at Ocado. I'm very happy with them otherwise.

Got an email today offering me extra 50% off the clearance stuff for a week because I have a delivery pass. If I wanted tropical-smelling washing powder eww I could get it dirt cheap.

Laverstoke Park Farm organic beef burgers, bought from Abel & Cole, not sure whether Ocado does them. Don't shrink much, good size, tasty but very dense, brick-like texture. Prefer the Laverstoke Park Farm buffalo burgers or Birds Eye.

Never seen the Respect cakes in ASDA but local Tesco doing them now.

Clipper everyday organic teabags.. well actually I have to say tho they're good, I think the Sainsbury's and Tesco ones are less exotic tasting.
    Our favourite loose tea is Brooke Bond Taj Mahal tea from Spices of India https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk and everyone who drinks it wants it. Not organic though.

Bare Necessities organic swede from Ocado.. made some great-tasting swede oven chips mmm

My mother wants me to take her on a tour of organic/food shops in London so that means Piccadilly, Jermyn St, Glasshouse St, Brewer St, Notting Hill, Covent Garden and Kensington I guess maybe Knightsbridge and Oxford St as well. :(
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't face all the travelling about on the tube to visit all those shops! I'd do the Planet Organic and Kensington Wholefoods place - I can't see the others being much better/different? There's the Daylesford shop up in North London ish somewhere that might be worth a visit?

I was in Morrisons today, they seem to have stopped stocking the organic cocoa and the org drinking chocolate. They are already very poor on organic items.

Have you seen organic oranges in any of the supermarkets? I am presuming Waitrose may be the only one..
    9.2K posts
    No I haven't but I spotted a blurb about organic citrus in my Abel & Cole delivery and I think Ocado had some.

Piccadilly for Fortnum & Mason, Glasshouse St and/or Ken High St for Whole Foods, Notting Hill for Planet Organic, Jermyn St for Paxton & Whitfield, Oxford St for Selfridges Food Hall, Knightsbridge for Laduree and Poilane.. my mother is a bread fanatic..personally I'd do it by mail order and save the hassle.
    9.2K posts
    Moo organic milk normal price Morrisons 99p thus saving 10p per 10 on RRP elsewhere though for me personally that is not sufficient reason to visit the hellhole that is my local Morrisons.

According to my mother Vegetarian Living magazine has an offer code for Goodness Direct to get £10 off a £35 shop for new customers. Have to say I've not seen the mag myself like ever so no idea where to find it.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support