Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Organic food in supermarkets - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Organic food in supermarkets

edited 10 October 2012 at 7:25PM in Gone Off!
2.9K replies 227K views

Replies

• I buy all my organic fruit and veg from tesco's - got loads of organic beetroot when it was reduced to a pound :D I was going to try the seeds of change sauces but might not bother now.
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Allo Kirri :T My first subscriber gosh I'm all overcome. :o Haven't had much Biona stuff myself yet, OH takes tins to work eg Thai vegetable curry and seems to like them but not the baked beans.

Mackie's of Scotland organic luxury dairy ice cream.. well it does taste of cream but less creamy than the non-organic Kelly's of Cornwall clotted cream ice cream - which is awesome. If you like Mackie's and will eat non organic that's on offer at Lidl from Thursday 100% extra free. Ice cream eating husband was disappointed with the Mackie's organic so that's not the vanilla we'll be having with the Christmas pud !

tigercubx your Tesco must be a good one for organic veg both the ones I've attempted to use for veg are 24/7 Tesco Extras and have barely anything.
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hasn't Kelly's got something in it unnatural wise? Seem to remember picking it up and putting it back?? Have tried it before though. Had Mackie's this summer (competition win!) was nice but I've gone over to Swedish Glace mostly which is a soya ice cream and tastes more creamy than dairy weirdly! Vegan leanings and organic don't always go together, it's sometimes one or the other I choose from. I prefer Green & Black's for dairy ice cream.

Tigercubx, might still be worth trying the SOC, it might just be me, I don't tend to like many pasta sauces in jars due to the slightly un fresh taste? I used to like Tideford sauces, fresh in Waitrose but more so when I ate meat. Will try the Biona Tuscan sauce though next time I try a jar sauce.

Found another site when looking up something earlier, Farm Direct I think it was called, looks quite good but only seems to deliver around North London :(
    9.2K posts
    Yup I think Kelly's does have nasties so we don't buy it now but it tastes better than the Mackies organic, think I'm going to try the Green & Black's vanilla next.

I haven't found the Seeds of Change sauces salty tigercubx but they all do taste a bit too sweet to me. As I have diabetes though I avoid anything sweet so my tastebuds are maybe more sugar sensitive. Using the Seeds of Change organic Mediterranean vegetable sauce is cheaper than making my own. :eek: I haven't tried the Biona jar sauces yet.

Foodari Direct delivers all over London but AFAIK none of it is organic, ditto Natoora which used to have wholly French/European produce and went into partnership with a UK company. Natoora stuff is available from Ocado but again I don't think it's organic.

We do buy non-organic stuff if it doesn't have additives, colourings etc. That doesn't increase the food pool by much though as even goat's milk yogurt seems to contain modified maize starch these days :(
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ Guess it can be cheaper to buy the pasta sauce, in previous years I've had enough home grown tomatoes to make my own but this year was awful and would be expensive to buy the same amount to make it.

Small suppliers are often the next best thing for fairly natural food - I shop a lot at farmer's markets, health shops and farm shops etc as well and whilst not always organic it's a lot more natural food - tend to find the large, commercial supermarket suppliers are the ones to add nasties to prolong or cheapen the food..
    9.2K posts
    My local farmers' market was paved over to make way for a piece of artwork ! :mad:

Fresh food never lasts as long as supermarket food, I guess it's the overchilling. Buy carrots in Tesco on a hot day and the bag has condensation before you get to the car and next day they're all black n mouldy :(
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you can a replacement market, that is shocking! There are more springing up all over the place near me.

I gave up buying bagged carrots, couldn't use them before going mouldy - god knows how the supermarkets store them, they always seem so wet in the shops. I do have my own growing but they are rather large and multi pronged this year!! I prefer if buying the Waitrose organic with tops as at least know they are fresh. Morrisons ones are dire.

Re sauces, anyone wanting Indian/Thai type sauces, Geo Organics are very nice and reasonably priced. Not sure how easy they are to get on the high street, I get mine in an independent health shop.

Disappointed the Simply Delicious mayo's seem to have increased in size, they are now far too big for me to use up and much more expensive because of the size increase :( Loved their garlic one but now need to find an alternative smaller one. Haven't been overly impressed with any others I've had from the main supermarkets.
    9.2K posts
    Now I'm the opposite on the organic mayo Kirri, I want bigger jars but I'm a bit of a mayo addict :o My favourites are Abel & Cole and Sainsbury's so far. The Sainsbos one is perfect with organic globe artichokes mmm.

I bought some Old Bay Seasoning from American Sweets and I've been too nervous to look at the ingredients in case it has nasties, it being American !

It's great in a marinade of organic olive oil, organic lemon juice, ground black pepper, and strips of organic red bell pepper. I use the marinade on organic chicken wings - the best I've tried so far have been Abel & Cole and Daylesford.

Moy Park organic breaded chicken fingers from Abel & Cole.. kinda bland, presume they are aiming for kids. Could be a good dip item though.
  • 5555tt5555tt Forumite
    108 posts
    Apples used to be ,like the most chemically sprayed fruit a few decades back;I know they still are regarded this way in the USA ,but cant find much info on european produce ;anyone have any info or link ?
    9.2K posts
    Suggest www.defra.gov.uk and www.soilassociation.org as starting points. I believe apples do get sprayed quite a lot.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support