Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Organic food in supermarkets - Page 289

New Post Advanced Search

Organic food in supermarkets

edited 10 October 2012 at 7:25PM in Gone Off!
2.9K replies 226.5K views

Replies

• KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    psi2244 wrote: »
    Are there any frozen veg places that deliver, all ive found so far is goodness direct?

Ocado have some including organic chips, sweetcorn, peas etc.

I've not seen a dedicated delivery service for frozen organic though.
  • psi2244psi2244 Forumite
    253 posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks but peas are probably the most available in supermarkets anyway...was looking for frozen spinach, and others mainly. Goodness Direct seems to have what i want but they charge 9 quid postage. If i bought fresh i would need about 5 + bags a week since i have it most days in omelette and for dinner too.
  • Angel9876Angel9876 Forumite
    39 posts
    Hi, I have had my eyes opened to GM and 'free range' food lately, and have found myself freezing in the supermarkets (I have tried waitrose, Tesco, sainsburys and lidl) because I can't work out which meat/eggs I can buy, and whether I can afford it. Anyway, to cut a very long story short I am now wondering whether I can actually afford to buy more ethically.

Can I be cheeky and ask how you meal plan/ where you think the best deals are meat and eggs wise?
    I have a young family - DH, me, and 3 under 6yo. What do you think would be an achievable food budget for a family my size? Previously we were spending between £50-60 on non gm/non free range/non organic food for a week. Can I shop more ethically for not much more than this?
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ Waitrose first thing in the morning is pretty good for reduced items and as they have a good organic range it's often possible to get things, especially veg.

Is it a possibility to grow any veg, herbs, fruit? Saves me a LOT.

Ocado is good for offers, just add things in the basket when on offer and order when you have enough for a min order.

Easy for me to say as I don't eat meat/fish but consider adding in veggie meals or vegan meals as scratch cooking these from veg/pulses is very cheap. i.e. less meat in a week but better quality if you do buy it. Eating meat at every meal is more of a habit..

... Failing that Edwardia is the meat price guru here :D

I don't meal plan but most meals I do are based around veg/dried pulses/wholefoods so no real need to. I don't have any waste though.

You may find you have less junk by going to organic (depends what type of food you bought before) so you might find that although individually it costs more you may buy less things?
  • vandanfcvandanfc Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If you can shop around then bargains can be found. My Aldi has started stocking Organic eggs, I think they were well under £2.00 for 6, so less than than the big supermarkets charge. My Lidl used to stock Organic eggs, but seem to have stopped, but they may be available in other branches. You can also get Organic carrots and bananas at Lidl.
  • edited 3 June 2015 at 2:03AM
    EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    edited 3 June 2015 at 2:03AM
    I've been buying organic food since 2012 now so here are a few tips.

1. Work out which supermarkets you can go to without going out of your way, because that costs more in fuel/fares. But if you can call in at say Lidl on the way back from the school run or ASDA when visiting your mum or your partner works next to Tesco, then you can then search https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk for offers.

2. It's also worth checking prices for non-offer items because even non-offer prices can vary a lot between supermarkets.

3. If your budget is really tight, concentrate first on buying organic for fruit and veg which aren't peeled and do get sprayed a lot eg strawberries. This is a list of heavily sprayed foods in the USA - bear in mind that they are allowed to muck around with food far more there so you don't always need to freak out quite as much over here.

https://www.downtoearth.org/environment/organic-vs-conventional-farming/dirty-dozen-most-heavily-sprayed-foods

4. Reading labels.. you can avoid lots of artificial preservatives, additives etc merely by reading labels. This may not cost more at all.

5. Taste The Difference, Extra Special and other premium ranges are NOT organic (unless also labelled organic) and may be (a) more expensive than organic and yet (b) still sprayed or fed with GM feed, depending on type of product.

6. Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons, ASDA, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose and Ocado all have own label organic ranges.
    Personally I wasn't impressed with Aldi or Morrisons but if you can find the in ASDA and Lidl the quality is pretty good. I;ve found in two Extra stores which I've used, hardly any organic.

Lidl may have organic milk, cheese,eggs, pasta, branded organic yogurt, onions, bananas and carrots. ASDA has milk, leeks, potatoes, carrots, apples, meat plus things like Heinz organic soup, organic Weetabix etc. You'll find some organic things in the Free From section.

Sainsbury's sells more organic food than any other store now and you can get own-brand organic milk, cream, eggs, yogurt, butter, apples, grapes, strawberries, raspberries, rich tea and shortbread biscuits, French dressing, mayonnaise, fresh bread, cornflakes, teabags,nacon, sausages, bananas, onions, garlic, shallots, frozen peas, spinach, rocket, celery, tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, mixed herbs, beef, lamb, chicken, watercress, cucumber, carrots, red onions, shallots, celery, blueberries as well as branded stuff.

Waitrose and Ocado can be cheaper than saisbury's on organic food for some things. The Duchy bacon is fantastic.
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Fish.. I buy wild fish, I think it's tastier and it hasn't been fed GM stuff in tanks somewhere in the Far East.

'Sustainably Sourced' often means farmed. Fish by law has to be labelled to show where it comes from so if it's wild fish, it'll say where and how it was caught.

If you're contemplating buying from the fresh fish section (a) don't if it stinks and (b) ask what's wild, because you may find that none of it is ! (Happened to me in Sainsbury's).

Tinned wild fish can be found in 99p Stores and Poundland etc as well as on offer via mysupermarket.

I buy my frozen wild fish and prawns from Iceland mainly, but also from ASDA and Lidl.

Lamb..

New Zealand is a GM free country and because of the climate most of the lamb is grass-pastured - it can taste better than organic.British especially as it is matured for longer. You'll find it in Sainsbury's basic range (fresh or frozen) and own-label, in Tesco, Waitrose, Ocado etc but nowadays not in Lidl.

Frozen veg.. Waitrose does peas, petits pois, oven chips, sweetcorn, mixed veg and I have seen spinach sometimes. Ardo does a huge range of frozen organic, apart from Goodness Direct there's
    http://www.naturalgrocery.co.uk/Frozen/fruit-vegetables NB organic and non organic on same page. You may get other stores near you if you contact Ardo http://www.ardouk.com/products.html
  • edited 3 June 2015 at 2:02AM
    EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    edited 3 June 2015 at 2:02AM
    I low carb so I don't buy many organic beans but you can get own brand organic ones in Sainsbury's and Tesco in tins or tetrapaks. Sainsbury's does organic passata and fresh organic pomodoro sauce.

Marks and Spencer.. most of the supermarkets have organic own brand food labelled in a way that once your eyes are accustomed you can pick things out easily. Marks and Spencer does have organic food but it's a nightmare trying to find it, because there's no cohesive range, all the labelling is different.

Prosciutto.. we get warned off processed meats because of the nitrates but if you buy prosciutto (Parma ham) with the gold crown (a) that's the real thing and (b) it doesn't contain nitrates at all. Lidl is the cheapest place but look for offers because even M&S will do a good one occasionally. But if it doesn't have the gold crown it isn't the real thing and may have additives.

Helen Browning bacon and hot dogs are great ditto the pork meatballs but the speedy sausages are dire. The Waitrose organic British beefburgers are nice but the Kezia kangaroo burgers from Iceland IMO are much better. An Aussie friend said they are usually made with culled wild roos rather than farmed. If you find farmed frozen New Zealand venison in Iceland, Aldi or Lidl leap on it because it's GM free and really good. ASDA used to do venison burgers but my local one doesn't have em anymore.

I don't buy from a farmer's market cos we don't have one here but that's another place to look. If you buy supposedly unsprayed veg tht's not labelled organic remember there's no guarantee that it is.

If you can get a reduced price/offer joint for the freexer those are great to roast and use leftovers.

I rarely find yellow stickered organic stuff but I'm never in a supermarket very early or late.

Personally I don't go a bundle on the organic chicken in Sainsbury's and Tesco and think the stuff in Waitrose and Ocado is better. I also prefer the NZ lamb and venison to British organic beef and lamv in Sainsbury's and Tesco as well. I haven't found organic meat in Morrison's or ASDA though they have it on the websites.

I buy organic fruit puree baby food pouches and husband stirs them into natural organic yogurt and also into sparkling water. They don't have any additives and can be stored in a cupboard until needed. The veg only puree pouches can be used heated and stirred into heated creme fraiche as a sauce which is a good way of adding more veg to your diet.

Seeds of Change organic sauces are good and often on special offer. Most of the supermarkets do organic rice and pasta.
  • bornintoitbornintoit Forumite
    257 posts
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Seeds of Change organic sauces are good and often on special offer.

I found the Seeds of Change organic curry sauces (350g) in the 99p store the other week. Worth popping in once in a while if you have one near you.
    'Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves'
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add ^ that I am finding local independent organic shops can be cheaper than the supermarkets! Plus they have a far better range - I find the high street supermarkets a bit mainstream.. Ocado and indie shops tend to suit me better. I don't think anyone could do an organic shop in Morrisons or Asda because the range of items is dire!

and a note on the NZ meat, think I read it's all halal (if that is an issue for whoever is buying).
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support