Single DFW

Options

Comments

• Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2014 at 9:55AM
    Options
    My monthly update as shown in my sig. So close to getting below 25k, which will be a good milestone yet at the same time still so far to go.

The ebay selling hasn't gone as well as I had hoped but will persevere with it and hopefully end up making some sort of profit.

Still single but that should be taken as a given!
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• duesouthtwin2
    Options
    Well done. You are doing really well. So good to keep a focus on a goal and not get distracted. Single life is great!
    Debt free. House deposit £60k. Aim for £70k. 2024/2025- move to Scotland. Overtime at work. 2028- buy a horse
  • Muhren
    Options
    So my update is a little bit later in the month than usual but I can report that I am now below the 25k mark!!!!

My second share save at work starts coming out of my monthly pay as of tomorrow which means the amount I will actually be paying off my debt will reduce each month but in 3 years time I will have at least 18k to pay off and hopefully clear my debt completely.

As for my ebay venture, I am still running at a loss for the stuff that I have bought. I have sold some things that I already owned and no longer wanted or needed which has meant that overall I am currently £45 up so I am going in the right direction.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Muhren
    Options
    My monthly update, now below 24k. I won't hit my target of getting below 20k by the end of the end but I am not too disheartened.

My DFD is going to be Sept 2017, it could be a year sooner but my new share save won't finish until then. If all goes to plan I will also have a nice tidy sum left over as well.

On the dating front, I was supposed to go out for a drink yesterday with someone but she cancelled. So not that sure if we will actually meet up now.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Muhren
    Options
    Updated my sig and I'm now below 23k and I'm hoping to be below 21.5k by the end of the year. I will definitely get there if I put my car service off until the new year with it actually being due in a a couple of weeks and also don't count my tax until January even though it is due at the end of December!
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Muhren
    edited 10 December 2014 at 4:12PM
    Options
    My montly update;

I am now below 22k which can be seen in my sig. I won't be making it below my start of year target of 20k by the end of the year but this was in part to putting money into a share save, which by the end of the year will have £5000 sitting there.

Today I have made it to 2 years off gambling. I am really surprised at how quickly it has gone, although I shouldn't be as time seems to fly by nowadays. I have to say I never thought I would get to this point when I first tried to stop. I did fall off the wagon on my firts attempt but I guess it goes to show what can be acheived when you put your mind to it (as well as a block on your laptop to gambling sites!)

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year, if indeed anyone still reads this thread!
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• vw_campervan_mum
    Options
    Well done! 2 years is an amazing achievement :j
    Bit late for Christmas so Happy 2015!
    Debt Free. Have my Van. :) Find dream
    Frugal 2016 Target @£400 per month
    Month 1 £400/£400 Total of 6 Months: £/£2400
    Food £0/£120 pm Diesel £0/£100 Me/DD £0/£80 Yearly (clothes/holidays/presents) £0/£100

It's not the end, it's the journey and how we travelled.
  • RexBanner
    Options
    Signing in.

Having recently started to tackle my debt, am going to sort out my personal life next.

Been very single for a few years, and resisted the gallant efforts of friends and colleagues to set me up with all sorts. I work as the only perma-single male in a mainly female environment so am regularly given not-especially-subtle hints from colleagues when they've come back on the market. Some of these are clearly needy and looking for a rebound, but one who did before Christmas is lovely so my New Year's resolution is to ask her for a drink and see how we get on.

Debt-wise I've stabilised things rather than made huge progress.

2 credit cards total £8340 and 9 student loan payments of £122/month left.

I haven't been bitten by the MSE bug to the extent that most others on here have, and will chip away at this over a number of years while maintaining a life, instead of going full-MSE and clearing it all by next Tuesday.

I do find posting cathartic though, so it might grow on me.

Good luck all.
  • Muhren
    Options
    Well done! 2 years is an amazing achievement :j
    Bit late for Christmas so Happy 2015!

Thank you. I have actually got to a point now where it is quite easy, which in itself can be a little dangerous as complacency could set it but I am a world away from this time 2 years ago and long may it continue.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• pennypinchingpenguin
    Options
    Hello :) I am a singleton, in fact the ex is one of the reasons I had so many debts, silly me had everything in my name as I was the higher earner. Not a mistake I will make again ;)

It is a hard slug but I told my mum and she was my rock when I needed one. I am now only 3 months away of being debt free, nearly 2 years early. :D

Wanting to start fresh has made me be so determined in my journey and the icing on the cake, I have just met someone nice after being alone all thise time during my DFW journey :D

Just come here for support :)
    Hello. Mind if I join? I am 31 years old and working full time. A 4 year relationship broke up this time last year and I was devastated. Never saw each other due to out shifts and ultimately I suppose he was "just not that into me" to make the sacrifice. I have had a range of jobs after my degree and all helping me to climb the career ladder but not well paid. Current job is the best ever at £27k a year. Managing to save £400 a month and have £2000 saved. Paying £500 to rent a room with bulls included in a shared flat and have a few bills. Frustrated though. I had a really bad childhood and sometimes it's hard to see how lucky other people are. Lots of my friends have had their driving lessons paid for and given a few thousand for deposits to buy places. I am struggling to save and caught between my dream of learning to drive but knowing on going costs of a car - and knowing I am getting older so need to be on the property ladder. Challenge of saving thousands on my own, it's so expensive in London and I would never be able to afford s mortgage on my own and if I look outside then I do need to drive to commit to work. Depressed particularly I think because around the time of the break up, studying for my job expands and having to move rooms twice in a row due to bad landlords - my twin sister was getting married to a soldier and they moved into a big house provided by the military and they have no bills. I am happy but life just seems to work out easier and better for others. I want to find love and feel that someone cares about me for once, I am tired of being scared about my financial future and scraping every penny while everyone around me gets married, buys houses and has loads of money with no struggle. Sorry to rant. Nice to hear there are other singles in this world. Having a depressive moment!

Almost a mirror image of myself! This time last year I had £3000 cc debt stupidly due to believing I was in a stable relationship (wrong) doing up a house, providing for him and his child (loved as my own - dont resent that) as the higher earner. I went totally mse, switched bank, balance transfer, got a year long discount on sky and calculated could pay debt in 2 years. Then he decided he wanted out (ironically one reason being he was fed up of being skint - I worked full time while he worked part time eventually studying too. I fully supported him but the debt was built by both of us) so I had to find somewhere else to live and buy everything - bed, furniture, essentials etc. Got a lot from charity shops but generally including a deposit and costs it cost me another £2000 to start again. It has been much harder on my own and im now at £5000.
    I also didnt have a great childhood and agree its hard to watch others who seem to have the typical picked out a catalogue life. I dont find trusting people easy as far as relationships go but this year I am trying to stay positive. After wasting half of xmas day feeling like a failure and wondering where my life is going, I ordered my provisional license. Cant even afford lessons but it's the first step. Today I increased my cc payment by 50 a month so an extra 600 a year. Relationship wise I hate all the 'you'll find them when you are not looking....blah blah' stuff, so patrionising but its all I got! Both my sisters (twin included) are settled and I always feel the odd one out but im determined to get my life back. I was highly naive with money and my ex so its my own fault. Lesson learned! Your doing great!
    Cc debt; £4950 Tesco - £3.37 Boots - £3.94 £2 pot - £0.00 Sealed pot NO40 - £7.87 no spend days jan-3/31 £2 savers = £6
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure