🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Icesave account ... Account holder opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Options

Comments

• Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Icesave interest rate up to 5.95% from May 18
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Optimist, I have just received an email saying as much. Here is an excerpt from it. I am so made up :) I had the idea of stashing most of my savings in my A&L account leaving only about £1500 in my icesave (currenly have £5250 in icesave) but I now think I should just shift the bulk of my A&L savings in there since it is now the market leader by far.

Easy Access Account interest rate increases to 5.95%AER*

We are pleased to inform you that the interest rate on your Easy Access Account will increase from 5.70%AER to 5.95%AER with effect from 18 May 2007.

Unlike many other savings providers, we guarantee your interest rate will be consistently competitive. We guarantee it will exceed the Bank of England Base Rate by at least 0.25% until 1 October 2009 and thereafter not be lower than the Bank of England Base Rate until 1 October 2011.

Make sure you are making the most of this great rate!

With our consistently competitive interest rate, it pays to save as much as you can. Why not set up a regular transfer every month into your Icesave Easy Access Account – simply log in at icesave.co.uk, select “Make a Transaction” and follow the on-screen instructions.

24/7 access to your account

Remember you can see and print off all your transactions, including any interest earned whenever you like by logging in at icesave.co.uk – we recommend you check your account online at least once a month.

Thank you for saving with Icesave.
    Yours sincerley
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Woodyrocks wrote: »
    Hey Optimist, I have just received an email saying as much. Here is an excerpt from it. I am so made up :) I had the idea of stashing most of my savings in my A&L account leaving only about £1500 in my icesave (currenly have £5250 in icesave) but I now think I should just shift the bulk of my A&L savings in there since it is now the market leader by far.
    [/B]

Well not quite the leader they are still beaten by ICICI as they have put their online account up to 6.05% effective from the 18 May.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    icesave has been problem free ever since we joined. However I am ever watchful having been sucked in and been spat out by ing. I transferred money from icesave today to go into ns&i index linked certs. Always best to spread the assets around and I have cash in northern rock silver savings, currently at 5.81 but will be 6% 9th june

I emptied the ing accounts as soon as they started playing games and today finally closed the accounts containing all of 21 pence. Much though I like icesave I do have a feeling that they may eventually go down the same route. We`ll see
  • kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    Remember they have a rate guarantee until 2011
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Optimist wrote: »
    Well not quite the leader they are still beaten by ICICI as they have put their online account up to 6.05% effective from the 18 May.
    The various problems I've had with ICICI in the past don't make the extra 0.1% worth re-opening an account. It's only an extra 80p per £1000 saved per year after tax.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    icesave has been problem free ever since we joined. However I am ever watchful having been sucked in and been spat out by ing. I transferred money from icesave today to go into ns&i index linked certs. Always best to spread the assets around and I have cash in northern rock silver savings, currently at 5.81 but will be 6% 9th june

I emptied the ing accounts as soon as they started playing games and today finally closed the accounts containing all of 21 pence. Much though I like icesave I do have a feeling that they may eventually go down the same route. We`ll see

I know what you mean about spreading the assets around Kittie. I am really torn as to what to do about this tbh. Can I be nosey and ask what kind of problems you had with ing? I really hope Icesave stay cool :A
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woodyrocks, I didn`t have any problems with the actual usage of ING. The reduction in interest rates is what made me move. It is important to get the money working instead of idling in a low - interest account

I have arranged transfer of some funds from icesave so that we can buy more ns&i index linked certificates in a few days time. My dh and I will also be setting up cash ISAs with ns&i. We won`t have to worry about the index linked certs keeping up with inflation so that`s a good chunk of our savings taken care of

I was left with various relics of accounts after using various institutions in order to get the best interest rates. I have only been tidying up and have closed ing, alliance and leicester, nationwide, egg money. To date I have icesave, northern rock silver savings, ipswich target saver 1 at 8.45% and my main bank is smile
  • former_student
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Yes.

The interest rates are slightly different, but over the course of the year you earn interest on interest in the monthly situation, which balances things out. You'll probably earn a few pence less for monthly interest if you are a taxpayer, because you'll pay tax on each interest payment, which gives ever so slightly more to the taxman compared with one payment at the end of the year. The difference really isn't worth worrying about.

Regarding your statement indicating that montly interest would be lower than Yearly rates, I believe this statement is incorrect as I got the following response from Icesave in relation to a similar question.

Account balance X interest rate% /365 interest earned per day:
    Interest earned per day x days in month monthly interest rate

However you choose to get your interest either monthly or annually it
    works out the same.

The net rate currently for annual interest customers is 4.56%.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Regarding your statement indicating that montly interest would be lower than Yearly rates, I believe this statement is incorrect as I got the following response from Icesave in relation to a similar question.

The statement by masonic is not wrong as he explained the effect of tax on your interest.

Whether monthly or yearly the interest rate is exactly the same - 5.7% AER.

However due to tax being taken off each monthly payment as opposed to one yearly payment. there is a very slight difference in the amount of interest actually gained over the course of a year. However it's so small it's not really worth bothering about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport