PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    At last I have curtains and curtains rails to put up at the front door and the back French doors, and my dad will put the rails up for us, bless him.
    Still have to make a car box though.
  • Mojoworking
    Options
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    I've brought out the dri buddy to dry the bed sheets. Very glad I invested in the dri buddy.

Hi Unixgirluk

I've just brought and started to use my dri buddy - can you explain how you'd get sheets round it to dry - I'm not seeing it - but this would be really helpful - thank you in advance x
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    I've put an emergency box in the boot of my car. I've realised that I can't find my matches though. I have thousands of tea lights in case of power cut, fantastically useful with no matches eh....
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I woke up to a layer of snow on my car and a little on the grass :eek:

We are in Berkshire so definately did not expect that this early although it certainly felt cold and bitter yesterday... Need to start checking weather forecasts more regularly now winter is well and truly here.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    I woke up to a layer of snow on my car and a little on the grass :eek:

We are in Berkshire so definately did not expect that this early although it certainly felt cold and bitter yesterday... Need to start checking weather forecasts more regularly now winter is well and truly here.
    I didn't realise it had made it that far down... I'm only just over the border. It wasn't frosty here, but cold this morning and i've had condensation the last couple of mornings so the dehumidifier is now on permanently...
  • Fruball
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I didn't realise it had made it that far down... I'm only just over the border. It wasn't frosty here, but cold this morning and i've had condensation the last couple of mornings so the dehumidifier is now on permanently...

Yep! I woke up and checked my FB on my phone as I always do and people were talking about it - I didn't believe it until I looked out of the window!

It was snowing at around 7.30am but I was fast asleep then :D Big fat flakes apparently but not for long...
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DD has been coming in of a morning and complaining to me that she's cold, this is despite her having warm PJs, warm socks, a fleece underblanket, a quilt, a cellular blanket, and a wool style blanket on her bed and every morning her window has been SOAKED with condensation. :( Yesterday she went away with her dad, so I shut the curtains etc as normal expecting to get up to slightly damp windows since she wasn't in the room breathing. Instead I woke up to soaked windows again! So I switched the heating off and opened every window in the house and despite it being about 5C today I wasn't cold once I put an extra pair of socks on :D I shut the curtains etc tonight as normal and have just checked her window and its dry :j Just hoping it stays that way.

I figure her room being damp is the reason she's been so cold despite having the heating on. That and I realised yesterday morning when I stripped her bed she only has a 4.5tog quilt on, so I checked mine and thats the same. So last night I had both quilts on my bed and didn't want to get up this morning as I was so toasty :rotfl: Guess I need to buy some thicker quilts (or thin ones I can attach) instead of just layering up the blankets as they don't seem to be helping.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    DD has been coming in of a morning and complaining to me that she's cold, this is despite her having warm PJs, warm socks, a fleece underblanket, a quilt, a cellular blanket, and a wool style blanket on her bed and every morning her window has been SOAKED with condensation. :( Yesterday she went away with her dad, so I shut the curtains etc as normal expecting to get up to slightly damp windows since she wasn't in the room breathing. Instead I woke up to soaked windows again! So I switched the heating off and opened every window in the house and despite it being about 5C today I wasn't cold once I put an extra pair of socks on :D I shut the curtains etc tonight as normal and have just checked her window and its dry :j Just hoping it stays that way.

I figure her room being damp is the reason she's been so cold despite having the heating on. That and I realised yesterday morning when I stripped her bed she only has a 4.5tog quilt on, so I checked mine and thats the same. So last night I had both quilts on my bed and didn't want to get up this morning as I was so toasty :rotfl: Guess I need to buy some thicker quilts (or thin ones I can attach) instead of just layering up the blankets as they don't seem to be helping.

A&Da have some value single 13.5 tog quilts for about £7 odd, that should keep her toasty.
    Does depend on you having the 7 quid though, there has been many a time I haven't and had my overcoat over me on the bed LOL.
  • Fruball
    Options
    nicki wrote: »

Get a dehumifier!! Really, anyone who has one wouldn't be without it :)
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all! Will be paying this thread LOADS of attention this year as we moved 2-3 weeks ago and the 'new' house is definately not as winter proof as our last house was! There are obvious things we need to fix (like the flap-less cat flap, broken curtesy of my dogs who are used to being able to go in and out of our old one but didn't twig this one was much smaller...:eek::rotfl:) and fitting a upvc door that was stashed in the garden up at the backdoor where we have a rotting wooden door.

Other than that, we're looking for loads of ways to keep the house warm and reduce the oil and electric bill

We did light some coal in the open fireplace in the back room today but OMG the smoke! I walked into the living room / back room and it was a thick fog :rotfl: Me thinks we need a chimney sweep and pronto before we can reuse that, lol
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport