PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2012 at 1:17AM
    Options
    i saw an ad by http://readyscotland.org/ tonight and it got me thinking that it was a bit odd that they were showing ads about preparing emergency kit for your car and your house, this early in the year, in great detail i might add, just after downton abby when many would be watching

this makes me suspect the gov't is expecting trouble this winter, i do not ever recall ever having seen anything like that on telly before and especially not in such a prominent time/spot, must have been expensive to run that...

i could be wrong but it's not unheard of for slow and subtle campaigns to be put into motion to mentally prepare the masses for hard times ahead... winter prep propaganda... who'd have thought :p

anyway, when i heard all the things they were suggesting i just thought 'you're preaching to the choir' and wondered how many of you here saw the advert, and how many saw it and thought of all of us here :)
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyhoo do you think a 10.5 tog quilt OVER 2 others (1+1=winter)would be too hot? so 10.5tog plus maybe a 15) - 25 tog total??

I've realised why I am getting cold, I have to keep my bedroom door open to hear dear daughter and therefore getting all the stair coldness.

My mum has 15 and 12.5 and loves it, she insists on sleeping with her door open so she can hear the smoke alarm should it go off (she has one in every room, the who road would hear!) but could you put a 2 way intercom in her room so you could hear her maybe?
    Confuzzled wrote: »
    i saw an ad by http://readyscotland.org/ tonight and it got me thinking that it was a bit odd that they were showing ads about preparing emergency kit for your car and your house, this early in the year, in great detail i might add, just after downton abby when many would be watching

this makes me suspect the gov't is expecting trouble this winter, i do not ever recall ever having seen anything like that on telly before and especially not in such a prominent time/spot, must have been expensive to run that...

i could be wrong but it's not unheard of for slow and subtle campaigns to be put into motion to mentally prepare the masses for hard times ahead... winter prep propaganda... who'd have thought :p

anyway, when i heard all the things they were suggesting i just thought 'you're preaching to the choir' and wondered how many of you here saw the advert, and how many saw it and thought of all of us here :)

Wouldn't surprise me if they suspected and didn't say.
    The info on american gov agency websites is full of winter prep stuff, not to mention every other natural disaster possible. Why we don't do it here is beyond me.

My local council web site says they are ready to grit from 1st December, so I hope we don't get snow/ice in November same as '10 as they aren't ready yet apparently!!! and they won't be providing grit bins for the public as it was noted that people used the grit without the correct PPE *sighes and rolls eyes*

All the more reason for a preppers thread;)
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 October 2012 at 1:38PM
    Options
    I've just ordered a dehumidifier as I've had enough. DD came home yesterday and this morning her bedroom window was soaked after being dry yesterday :( Its due to arrive Thursday so I'll put it upstairs Thur then bring it downstairs late Fri, then Sunday (since its bath day) it can go back upstairs again for a day or two. I'll keep doing this until I can get another one, which will probably be end of November when I'm thinking of getting the mini one available from arg0s to leave in DDs bedroom permanently.

ETA: Even better. Just had the gas-man ring and he's coming to fit a gasfire for us tonight *Happy dance* We have CH but it'll be nice to have a fire again after 2 years! I just need to move stuff out the way now!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    I've just ordered a dehumidifier as I've had enough. DD came home yesterday and this morning her bedroom window was soaked after being dry yesterday :( Its due to arrive Thursday so I'll put it upstairs Thur then bring it downstairs late Fri, then Sunday (since its bath day) it can go back upstairs again for a day or two. I'll keep doing this until I can get another one, which will probably be end of November when I'm thinking of getting the mini one available from arg0s to leave in DDs bedroom permanently.

ETA: Even better. Just had the gas-man ring and he's coming to fit a gasfire for us tonight *Happy dance* We have CH but it'll be nice to have a fire again after 2 years! I just need to move stuff out the way now!

I gave in last year and bought a dehumidifier and i have to say it has made a huge diference.

Before the house always felt damp and even the sheets on the bed felt a bit damp some days, I had a few pairs of boots and shoes which sprouted mould in the wardrobe and clothes in drawers were so very cold to touch that they felt damp.

Since buying it I have been amazed how much water it collects every day and no longer have to go round the entire house every morning wiping down the windows.

Best thing I ever did :D
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hit the spam button too, lol.

Really cold here today. Have been up in the loft and got the halogen heater out. I'm working from home, so just sat in the dining room, and it's cold being still. So I've just got it on the 400w setting aiming at my legs :D

They had some quite big bags of salt in Mr A this morning for just £3. I actually do have some rock salt stashed behind the bins, plus some smaller bags of cheap table salt. So I didn't bother.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm finding both my dining room and the spare room (both on the back of the house) are freezing! I'll need to look at the radiators and bleed them if necessary. The living room is nice and cosy (I usually have lots of candles going which means I can turn the lights off!), the front and back door are metal so zap the heat, so I need to come up with a solution that is kitchen friendly and since OH is in the doghouse he can sort the rail for the curtain above the front door (finally). Upstairs in our room we have a terrible problem with condensation on the windows, wondering if this is due to us having a shower room attached to our room? I got those large dehumidifying eggs to see if they work but now wishing I'd added the extra £40 to it and got a small dehumidifyer.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still having a giggle, I have been likened to Dougal off father ted!

Anyhoo do you think a 10.5 tog quilt OVER 2 others (1+1=winter)would be too hot? so 10.5tog plus maybe a 15) - 25 tog total??

I've realised why I am getting cold, I have to keep my bedroom door open to hear dear daughter and therefore getting all the stair coldness.

As far as my OH is concerned you can never have too many quilts on the bed or be too hot.....he got me to put the winter quilt on the other night (as well as the fleece blanket) and then he went on to put his fleece pyjama jacket on. It was too hot for me and I threw the covers off half way through the night and kept them off. He said he had the best night sleep he has had in months :rotfl:
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good humidifier under £100? (Most of the ones on Amazon are in three figures).

I have to dry a huge amount of sports kit for our club every week and it's fine if the weather's good but the winter months are difficult. I have a Lakeland three tier rack and radiator in the kitchen and when I am drying clothes and cooking the humidity is very high.

Also, has anyone worked out the costs of running a dehumidifier?

Many thanks
    B x
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Confuzzled wrote: »

Funny you should mention that....I thought the same thing last night when I was watching the European weather and they had video of the deep snow on the alps and in France yesterday. They showed a satelite weather map and I noticed there was a clear line separating the cold Northern europe and the hot south...interesting because exactly the same thing happened just before North east europe got the horrendous extreme cold that killed many people last year . That was the time it was still very warm here for the time of year.....just like it is now! Then we got the cold but nothing like as bad as other countries in Europe.

One thing I am discussing at the moment is the massive storm that is going to hit America. I have a friend who forecasts weather and is a storm follower. He thinks the same as I do that the storm is going to head further north than they are saying and that it will stall and stand over a certain area for quite a long time, held by the cold front that is giving snow to some areas. Hence snow blizzards and horrendous days for people in floods and high winds .

I asked him about the chances of the UK getting the remnants of this storm and he said it is possible.....there are already other storm systems coming across the Atlantic towards the UK now. Looks like you might be in for a very stormy time this winter:eek:
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • the_apprentice
    the_apprentice Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2012 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Hey confuzzled,

I didn't see the tv ad as I'm in NI but I totally agree with you regarding the government knowing more than they're letting on!!

Did you notice that the met office are now hosting "Get ready for Winter" pages on the governments behalf?!! First time I've seen anything like it.

Maybe there is something in Joe B's prediction/forecast that Europe & UK will have their worst winter for 50 years??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure