PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• crumblepie
    crumblepie Posts: 424 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2012 at 4:21PM
    Options
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    For all those that commute via public transport (this includes me now) I carry a large pashmina. Its lightweight, meaning I can carry it easily but they are very warm meaning if I have to walk or the train stops outside a station and we aren't allowed to get off I have something to act as an extra layer. I'm also going to put a foil blanket in a freezer bag along with some large paper clips into my handbag. This can be wrapped round you under your coat secured with the paperclips, ok it looks cute (not!) but it will help keep you warm. I also keep a few cereal bars in my bag, change and going to see if I can get a mini torch.

I've got a pashmina that I've used as a leg warmer on the train when it's been really cold. I'm not bothered what other people think. :)

I also (think snow on the ground when its freezing cold) take a thermos mug with me and a small flask with coffee/hot choc, so I could drink it while waiting for the bus/train. I use a thermos travel mug because it keeps hotter for longer, but it leaks hence the flask.

I also have those hand warmers that you snap to heat up. Like this Again useful when waiting round in the cold.

Mini torches can be bought all over the place. I bought a keyring LED one from wilkos but I've also seen small wind up ones as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If anyone wants fleeces to put behind curtains they are selling them in 'THE WORKS' for £2.99p and they are in dark colours so cut out street light too. I couldn't believe the difference both in warmth and darkness I had yesterday when I put them up. Hope that's useful, Cheers Lyn.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Borrowing one is a great idea!

I have just seen a sign (like those matrix signs on the motorway) on the way into Leeds City centre, asking "Is your car ready for winter?".

I have been driving that route for over 5 years (not non-stop of course, lol) and it's the first time I've seen it. Highly suspicious, lol. As it happens, mine is ready.

Not half as chilly out this morning as I expected it to be...

SEE, i just KNEW something was up :p seriously though, i'm obviously not the only one that is picking up on this subtle campaign, i suppose a more full on approach wouldn't work well as the powers that be haven't been terribly accurate the last few years so the masses may not trust them but this slow dripfeed of suggestions will hopefully help, make people think it's their idea, which in this case would be a good thing regardless how it happens

i'm now torn between wanting to hold off as long as possible before turning on the heat to save what money i can and turning it on before i feel i need it just to keep the fabric of the flat warm in case of really severe cold. my neighbours seem to have theirs on so i don't know if i need to take the precaution or not.... i'll wait and see if my daughter complains, i think the first time she complains about the cold i'll go ahead and at least turn on the hall heater regularly....

i wouldn't mind the snow but the long term cold temps concern me, we're due to travel again for christmas this year and everytime it's really cold the points on the tracks freeze up, really low temps affect my knees badly and let's face it, not looking forward to paying out the nose to keep from freezing to death. guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    It has definitely turned cooler here today, I have my thick cardi on for the first time since last April! We ate dinner in the kitchen as it was so warm from me doing the cooking on the hob. My OH mentioned that he much preferred sitting at the table to eat so going to continue doing it through the winter months.We will not be turning the oilfired central heating on unless we are desperate as its currently 1.65 euros a liter this year with the extra taxes!!!!

Our logs are being delivered tomorrow by Spriros the builder..quite why he cuts and sells logs is beyond me as he is a wonderful builder but there you go..... We have to carry them through the house and stack them at the back of the house under tarpaulins to keep them dry. I will be picking up some sacks of sticks tomorrow as well as they are on offer at 4 euros a bag. There was a shortage last year as they make the olive wood so much easier to light. The sticks smell of pine oil so I don't know if they are soaked in it or are actually pine wood. We will keep these under the stairs in the cupboard to keep them dry. It means we don't have to buy firelighters this winter.

Looking forward to our first fire, I love the open fireplace it makes the house feel all warm and cosy.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • crumblepie
    Options
    I bought these pj bottoms from Tesco earlier in the week. Fleecy and a bargain at £6. I was very cosy slumming about in them in the evening and even warmer in bed. I know they aren't the most glamorous things ever but they are fleece which is OS favourite winter fabric!

And even better Tesco double up vouchers include clothing from the 1st November.
  • darkrev
    darkrev Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    i bought a lovely wool snuggly warm and trendy cardi in the very sale reduced from £45........ just shrunk and felted it in the wool wash in the washing machine ,,,,,,, gutted, label said hand wash only , the cats have it as a window ledge bum warmer now !
    Thank you to all the money savers:beer: for all the wisdom, companionship, bargains, competitions and ideas:T you have made a transformation to our household, Thank you, it would have been so much harder without you and together we are amazing :A:smileyhea
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shortie wrote: »
    The chimney sweep can today and all is sorted there, a job well done :). We need to add ventilation to the house as there is none to make the fire more efficient (something to do with the air flow ensuring the smoke is sucked up the chimney apparently?) so I'm guessing the last owner must have filled it and decorated over it

All in all that was fine and happy there, but I'm also gutted :( OH asked about a log burner and while he doesn't install or sell them he agreed they were far better than open fires, but he then mentioned about the cost of installation and the paperwork being around £500 :eek: I had no clue they needed to be done by registered peeps and paperwork submitted to the council, I naively thought it was just a case of buying one, wrestling it into the fire place, fitting the flu and off we go :( On a good note he said the lining of the chimney looked fine

Problem is the £500 installation fee has now blown a log burner out of my budget as we've only just moved and we still have to find money to redo the kitchen (it's blinking awful and I'm sick of having no draining board, and I want my range cooker working back - but we need to pay £350 for a bottled gas supply to be installed) and the bathroom which has an energy hungry power shower and no bath, and we've noticed some of the floor tiles are cracked (and stick out sometimes with sharp edges :eek:) so I really can't justify the extra £500 at the mo when we can still use it as an open fire for peanuts (ie just the cost of adding ventilation)

Bottoms

Cost of woodburner and installation was, sadly, prohibitive for me so I went with the cheapest version, the open fire with no surround, just a hole in the wall really :D It looks modern though and suits the room! Just wonder if I will ever save up enough for a hearth because at the moment it is concrete and about half inch lower than the carpet to allow for said hearth... :o
    darkrev wrote: »
    i bought a lovely wool snuggly warm and trendy cardi in the very sale reduced from £45........ just shrunk and felted it in the wool wash in the washing machine ,,,,,,, gutted, label said hand wash only , the cats have it as a window ledge bum warmer now !

:eek: I would be gutted too. Poor you :(
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    My friend gave me one of her foil blankets to put in my car boot. When I was looking at it, it occurred to me that it would be good to put on the back of my curtains. Has anyone tried this? Is there any reason I shouldn't put one on the back of the fleece on my curtains?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amiehall wrote: »
    My friend gave me one of her foil blankets to put in my car boot. When I was looking at it, it occurred to me that it would be good to put on the back of my curtains. Has anyone tried this? Is there any reason I shouldn't put one on the back of the fleece on my curtains?

Only that they are noisy - otherwise, I can't see any reason why not. It would block out all light too.
  • JustKeepSwimming_2
    Options
    Am I wrong to be so excited about having ordered an electric blanket :rotfl:

After much dithering I finally went for a dual control double one that fits over the mattress like a fitted sheet & even though there is only me in the bed, thought it would be less likely to move about (as I'm a thrasher) than a single one. Can't wait to try it out....

But on a sad note, both my hot water bottles appear to have perished :( even though they were always fully drained & stored hanging up with stoppers out. At least I think they've perished as the rubber seems very stretch & weak; so I don't fancy putting them to the test!
    & as for some happy ending I'd rather stay single & thin :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport