PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    But at least you now have your leccy blankie so you may not need to replace both?

I had to replace my leccy blankie this year and went for a fitted one because the old one, which was held on with ties, shifted around. I ordered it from John Lewis online and ordered the wrong size by mistake. In my defence, it was a bit confusing and I thought superkingsize meant that it would cope with deeper mattresses - which ours is and I always have to fight sheets etc on. But superkingsize is actually significantly wider rather than deeper, if you see what I mean. I couldn't take it back once I had broken the seal but fortunately, it doesn't fit too badly now that I have put an old fleecy underblanket OVER it to hold it in place before putting the bottom sheet on. But I was cross at having spent the extra unnecessarily
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • bettycrumble
    Options
    Does any one know if there's such a thing of an electric sitting on the sofa watching TV kind of blanket? I don't fancy having them on my bed but sat with it on me of an evening would surely save some heating.
    NOvember Challenge #33: shopping £35/£180 ~ NSD's 0/25 ~ blips £0
    :rudolf:OS Weightloss Christmas Challenge: 0lbs/5lbs
    Mortgage Deposit Fund: £22.35
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I saw them in John Lewis, I think they're called heated throws
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi BETTYCRUMBLE - They are heated throws and are on Eb*y quite reasonably priced too. Got one each for both DDs last year and they love them. Cost pennies to run and make cold flats so much more bearable and keep the heating costs down too. DD2 suffers from Psoriatic Arthritis and says the warmth keeps her more mobile, she puts the throw round her shoulders and knits!!!! Hope that helps, Cheers Lyn x.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    I think Lidl's are doing them in the next week or two as specials...in fact Aldi are doing lots of items to keep warm at present too.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They have them just now for £19.99
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Checked light bulb stocks just now. Need to buy some spare supplies. And some more food storecupboard things too.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • alice-mary
    Options
    Does any one know if there's such a thing of an electric sitting on the sofa watching TV kind of blanket? I don't fancy having them on my bed but sat with it on me of an evening would surely save some heating.

I actually use a single electric blanket, placed on the sofa with a fleecy blanket or a single quilt over the top! It keeps my bottom warm if I am just sitting but is gorgeous for when I stretch out to watch tv :D

hth
    Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
  • Leslie45
    Options
    But on a sad note, both my hot water bottles appear to have perished :( even though they were always fully drained & stored hanging up with stoppers out. At least I think they've perished as the rubber seems very stretch & weak; so I don't fancy putting them to the test!

We are fortunate to be not greatly affected by the current rises in the cost of gas and electricity as we have no gas and our electric usage is relatively low. I was dreading, however, the thought of having to fill our oil tank for the winter particularly bearing in mind how much forecourt prices for petrol/diesel have risen this year. I was therefore surprised, and delighted when I was quoted a price 3.5p per litre less than when we last filled up earlier in the year. On 1200 litres, that's a saving of over £44 including VAT. Having said that, it's still £780!

"JustKeepSwimming's" comment above prompted us to check our hot water bottles and I'm sad to say we may have the same problem as one feels rather soft and squishy. We'll keep checking it carefully and see how it goes but may have to invest in a replacement before the winter's out.
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Leslie45 wrote: »
    We are fortunate to be not greatly affected by the current rises in the cost of gas and electricity as we have no gas and our electric usage is relatively low. I was dreading, however, the thought of having to fill our oil tank for the winter particularly bearing in mind how much forecourt prices for petrol/diesel have risen this year. I was therefore surprised, and delighted when I was quoted a price 3.5p per litre less than when we last filled up earlier in the year. On 1200 litres, that's a saving of over £44 including VAT. Having said that, it's still £780!

"JustKeepSwimming's" comment above prompted us to check our hot water bottles and I'm sad to say we may have the same problem as one feels rather soft and squishy. We'll keep checking it carefully and see how it goes but may have to invest in a replacement before the winter's out.

Everyone here is refusing to buy the heating oil till the government reduce the huge tax they have put on it...its currently 1.50 a litre! We are using olive wood to burn in the fireplace instead and an electric blanket in the bedroom. We got a ton of wood delivered today and I am aching all over from bringing it through the house and stacking it at the back under tarpaulins...

I could have done without the free huge spider I got though...it was just like a tarantula...even the feral cat that came to investigate it wouldn't touch it!

Have got a dangerous storm warning out for us tonight with force 8 winds and 40mm of rain forecast overnight:eek: I saw Italy on the news and they say it is getting hammered by storms at the moment....and 60 percent of what should be above water level in Venice will be underwater by tomorrow night:eek: It's not looking good so I will have to unplug everything before I go to bed, I can't risk it being damaged by the storms.

The wind is currently howling down the chimney and up the street. There hasn't been a trick or treater all night.

It seems like winter is here now in Greece...with a vengeance!
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure