MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would like for my sorting office to be open on a Saturday from 8am up to 6pm. That would stop the queues from going out the door. Not nice in winter!

I can understand when customer facing staff are frustrated. The missed delivery card clearly states to bring along a valid ID with the delivery address on it. How many times have I seen and heard customers argue with the staff. These customers are either ignorant or just want to cut corners or have more devious motives. Sometimes customers have to step in and help by saying "Oy mate, don't you understand English? She said she cannot give it to you without valid ID. Showing her some random letter with a name and address is not valid ID. Go get it and come back!"

Pretty simple really! Or those on the phone chatting and not listening to the PO worker. So rude!

It always got me. someone is in a queue where every person is asked for ID,there are signs up and the card says they need ID
    Then its suddenly the weirdest thing in the world that they are asked for ID
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    I think what it boils down to, whether it be RM or any other courier, if you get a good delivery person, the service is great, when you get one that's lax the service goes downhill immensely. I have a lax postie most of the time now :/

Unfortunately with the pressures that RM are now putting on their staff to complete unacheivable targets the service is going to go downhill.

There was a thread on here the other week about how some posties are giving RM an hour of their time every day, without pay, just to get the job done. Now I'm not saying those posties are slow, just that they are slower than the computer says. Unfortunately geo route and pegasus have been proven not to work when routing delivery duties.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • UK007BullDog
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    wouldnt it make more sense to opt out?

I wish but the local ones are not delivered by the RM. Every day I find take away menus, the local fast food chains, bogus charity bags and leaflets, local businesses cards and leaflets or pretending to be (lol).

One neighbor has taped his letterbox shut and put a box outside labelled flyers and yes they do put them in there. In the recycle box! :rotfl:
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    I got the sticker, it's not very big, hope postie notices it !
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    I would like for my sorting office to be open on a Saturday from 8am up to 6pm. That would stop the queues from going out the door. Not nice in winter!

I can understand when customer facing staff are frustrated. The missed delivery card clearly states to bring along a valid ID with the delivery address on it. How many times have I seen and heard customers argue with the staff. These customers are either ignorant or just want to cut corners or have more devious motives. Sometimes customers have to step in and help by saying "Oy mate, don't you understand English? She said she cannot give it to you without valid ID. Showing her some random letter with a name and address is not valid ID. Go get it and come back!"

Pretty simple really! Or those on the phone chatting and not listening to the PO worker. So rude!

This is the very reason why this delivery to neighbour scheme is so wrong - your mail, your own property can now be delivered to someone you don't know, without your permission, without any proof of ID.
  • custardy
    Options
    This is the very reason why this delivery to neighbour scheme is so wrong - your mail, your own property can now be delivered to someone you don't know, without your permission, without any proof of ID.

well luckily it wont have any effect on you with a mail collect
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    well luckily it wont have any effect on you with a mail collect

Luckily, I am able-bodied enough to collect my mail from a local delivery office. Others are not fortunate enough to even leave their house to collect their mail from a neighbour.

I can tell you that many people also don't like putting notices on their door (of any description) particularly a notice which their neighbour could interpret as meaning "I do not trust you, neighbour".

There are others who live in multiple occupancy accommodation with a single delivery point where some may be willing to participate in this scheme but others would not. This sticker system takes no account of that.

There are then others who live in rented accommodation who are now allowed, by their lease agreement, to put up stickers, how do they opt out?

Your views are so blinkered, that you have a complete inability to put forward any reasoned arguments. Your confrontational style makes you appear ignorant, bigoted with a total inability to listen, learn or understand other people's views. You seem to forget that Royal Mail has customers who have perfectly valid and well-reasoned views too.

I am sure this system will be challenged in the courts at some point in time. In effect, Ofcom, have approved every domestic household in this country as an alternative delivery point with no consideration for the privacy and security of Royal Mail customers.

You might well say that Royal Mail has to be able to compete on an equal footing with other delivery services. But I know of no other delivery service which actually allows its staff to deliver to an alternate delivery point without the express permission of the sender or receiver. In other words they operate an opt-in system whereas Royal Mail now have the advantage of an opt-out system.

No doubt, courier companies will now want to operate using opt-out systems too!
  • custardy
    edited 30 September 2012 at 3:29PM
    Options
    Luckily, I am able-bodied enough to collect my mail from a local delivery office. Others are not fortunate enough to even leave their house to collect their mail from a neighbour.

well they will be home for their packages then
    You might well say that Royal Mail has to be able to compete on an equal footing with other delivery services. But I know of no other delivery service which actually allows its staff to deliver to an alternate delivery point without the express permission of the sender or receiver. In other words they operate an opt-in system whereas Royal Mail now have the advantage of an opt-out system.

apart from every courier in the UK?
    There are others who live in multiple occupancy accommodation with a single delivery point where some may be willing to participate in this scheme but others would not. This sticker system takes no account of that.

a single delivery point? so how can there be neighbours? one delivery point is just that.
    I am sure this system will be challenged in the courts at some point in time. In effect, Ofcom, have approved every domestic household in this country as an alternative delivery point with no consideration for the privacy and security of Royal Mail customers.

and i predict it wont be. nobody is interested.
    I have warned for a long tie what was coming with RM. few listened,less cared
    Your views are so blinkered, that you have a complete inability to put forward any reasoned arguments. Your confrontational style makes you appear ignorant, bigoted with a total inability to listen, learn or understand other people's views. You seem to forget that Royal Mail has customers who have perfectly valid and well-reasoned views too.

because it doesnt agree with you.
    You seem a little confused. I am not pro leave with neighbour. Its a hotch potch system that leaves the decision to the delivery postie. I know what its like for delivery posties with time constraints and the expectation of LWN
    however,as usual,apathy rules.
    few gave feedback(note i gave over a years notice) and as such the scheme came in
  • sammyz1
    sammyz1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Opted Out because my neighbour always opens any packages they get that our ours.

And then doesn't pass them on until and day or two later. :mad:
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options

Royal Mail are LEGALLY obliged under the USO (Universal Service Obligation) to deliver to addresses NOT people so keep that in mind when you get letters to YOUR address but with someone else's name!!

My post man on many occassions has not delivered mail to me because it's in my maiden name. Instead he took it to another address on the street where the person has the same surname!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure