MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many moons ago,the post was delivered by 9.30 in a time period when people were in.

Against Posties wishes and opinions,RM moved to a much later delivery period(the old 2nd delivery period)

Now delivering in a time period when householders are out working this is RM,s answer to the problem they made.

The smarter way is to get Internet orders delivered to a different address (workplace,Relation who is in all day)

ps Posties are also out earlier on a Saturday because there is no canteen facilities available,this gets him out the door 40mins earlier (and because folk are in on a Saturday we can deliver the items rather than writing out loads of pick it up at the P.O cards)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

sorry,where did you get the part about canteens from?
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    I am now arranging to collect my mail from the local sorting office, rather than running the risk of it being delivered to a neighbour I do not know and have not personally nominated.

Royal Mail offer a free MAIL COLLECT service and you can read about it here...

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/outbound-mail/mail-collect

Of course, there is no time to set up the MAIL COLLECT service in time for 1st October, when the delivery to a neighbour scheme commences operation, following the application procedure in the link above.

What I did was visit my local Royal Mail delivery office; they immediately set up a special instruction on a pink slip so that, from 1st October, Royal Mail will no longer deliver items to my home. I had to provide two forms of ID - one with a photo on and another with my address on. This service is totally free.

A worker at the delivery office told me they have received many requests for collection from their depot in recent weeks. Apparently, people are so unhappy with new delivery arrangements, implemented over the past few weeks. that they simply wish to collect from the depot instead.

The worker then pointed out the mounds of packages they had waiting for collection, indicating this was far in excess of the amount of the mail they used to have for collection from the depot, prior to the new delivery arrangements.

This new delivery to a neighbour scheme may also backfire, with even more people wanting to collect their mail from the depot, meaning more work for already overworked depot staff who tell me they are now working 12 hours each day. Local postal delivery workers also have longer working hours now and start their shifts later in the day.

According to Royal Mail, my local delivery office closes at 12.30pm each day but I rang my local delivery office at 1pm today who said they are now open until 4pm to service customers who wish to collect their mail from the depot.

I suspect that with the build-up of mail at local delivery depots, Royal Mail made a request to Ofcom to introduce the delivery to a neighbour scheme, poste haste, so they could clear the backlog of packages at depots!
  • custardy
    Options
    I am now arranging to collect my mail from the local sorting office, rather than running the risk of it being delivered to a neighbour I do not know and have not personally nominated.

Royal Mail offer a free MAIL COLLECT service and you can read about it here...

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/outbound-mail/mail-collect

Of course, there is no time to set up the MAIL COLLECT service in time for 1st October, when the delivery to a neighbour scheme commences operation, following the application procedure in the link above.

What I did was visit my local Royal Mail delivery office; they immediately set up a special instruction on a pink slip so that, from 1st October, Royal Mail will no longer deliver items to my home. I had to provide two forms of ID - one with a photo on and another with my address on. This service is totally free.

A worker at the delivery office told me they have received many requests for collection from their depot in recent weeks. Apparently, people are so unhappy with new delivery arrangements, implemented over the past few weeks. that they simply wish to collect from the depot instead.

The worker then pointed out the mounds of packages they had waiting for collection, indicating this was far in excess of the amount of the mail they used to have for collection from the depot, prior to the new delivery arrangements.

This new delivery to a neighbour scheme may also backfire, with even more people wanting to collect their mail from the depot, meaning more work for already overworked depot staff who tell me they are now working 12 hours each day. Local postal delivery workers also have longer working hours now and start their shifts later in the day.

According to Royal Mail, my local delivery office closes at 12.30pm each day but I rang my local delivery office at 1pm today who said they are now open until 4pm to service customers who wish to collect their mail from the depot.

I suspect that with the build-up of mail at local delivery depots, Royal Mail made a request to Ofcom to introduce the delivery to a neighbour scheme, poste haste, so they could clear the backlog of packages at depots!

lol,you need to invest in tin foil shares
    Just so we are clear. you understand that leave with neighbour relates to items that are too large for your letter box?
    You get this,yes?
    you are telling me there is a massive upsurge in mail collect,which is increasing the workload on DOs
    So to cover this. They are opening DOs longer,just for mail collects?
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    This service is being imposed without proper consideration by OFCOM. The consultation process started less than 3 months ago and ended less than 3 weeks ago. We are given less than 3 postal delivery days to opt out by way of a sticker; a sticker that takes more than 3 days to deliver.
    custardy wrote: »
    No,the original proposal was over a year ago

Take a deep breath, read my post again and tell me what factual inaccuracies there are?

Consultation start date: 11 July 2012

Consultation end date: 12 September 2012

Ofcom's announcement to launch nationwide: 27 September 2012

Nationwide launch: 1 October 2012
  • custardy
    Options
    Take a deep breath, read my post again and tell me what factual inaccuracies there are?

Consultation start date: 11 July 2012

Consultation end date: 12 September 2012

Ofcom's announcement to launch nationwide: 27 September 2012

Nationwide launch: 1 October 2012

yes,except the original consultation process started in 2011
    had you followed the link,you would have seen that
    it was then extended and finally we are at this point
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    Just so we are clear. you understand that leave with neighbour relates to items that are too large for your letter box?

Yes, of course! The very items I would not want delivered to a neighbour that I do not know! Have you also overlooked the fact that recorded delivery items (of any size) will be delivered to neighbours too?

In Scotland, as I understand it, court documents will still have to be delivered to the address on the envelope but, in England, such documents (including recorded delivery court documents) can be delivered to a neighbour!!! Ouch!!!!!! Maybe you are lucky you live in Edinburgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you are telling me there is a massive upsurge in mail collect,which is increasing the workload on DOs
    So to cover this. They are opening DOs longer,just for mail collects?

No, that is not what I am saying!

Staff at our local delivery office confirmed they are now open until 4pm as they are now working 12 hour days (up from 8 hours). My local postie told me he now has a longer round and starts work later. Our post now arrives around 4pm. I assume postal workers in Scotland have longer working days now, also - not down to Mail Collect but due to other changes over the past couple of weeks or so.

I assume that our postal delivery worker goes back to the depot after he finishes work so that means the depot is certainly open to staff after 4pm. It appears to be an unofficial arrangement that the delivery office is open to the public until 4pm - the worker at the delivery office telling me they were happy to do this because, like some of their customers, they do not like the new arrangements and wish to provide the service they and their customers want.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I love it, all my neighbours are great, anyone of them would be happy to take in my mail, and vice versa.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    I love it, all my neighbours are great, anyone of them would be happy to take in my mail, and vice versa.

I live in a quiet dormitory village with many great neighbours too, but there are some I do not know and with many rented properties down our street, there is quite a large 'turnover' of neigbours.

Visits from the Police uncovered one renting neighbour growing cannabis and another with an unlicensed shotgun! Within weeks of moving away from the area, one ex-renting neighbour shot and killed someone! All these lived within 50 metres of my home!
  • The_ICT_Engineer
    The_ICT_Engineer Posts: 617 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2012 at 11:55PM
    Options
    I live out in the country, my nearest neighbours are over three miles away in the nearest village. Even now when I'am in. The red card is still dropped through the letterbox. Now it's going to be a case of hunt the post.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    DO doesn't need to be open to return letters or packets to, there is usually a drop box outside to store packets in. Although many are open longer than they used to be, with most having at least one late night a week.

Canteens open on a Saturday? Would be interesting to know of the ones that still have canteens. Ours had a couple of vending machines that were out of order 90% of the time :rotfl:

Court papers are usually clearly marked in Scotland, I doubt if anyone would try to deliver those to a neighbour. They usually state on the front of them "To be delivered to this address only" or words to that effect. I imagine it will be the same in England, and have the return address of the courts emblazoned on the front of the envelope. (Most of the ones I've seen anyhoo)
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport