Problem with 'Great British Discounts'

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't touch these people with a bargepole. They will take out a continuing debit authorisation on your debit card and deduct money as a "card payment" each month.

Surely there is nothing wrong with that if that is what you have agreed to, is there?
  • Andy_the_blue
    Options
    I've today received an email from these telling me that they are going to take my latest monthly payment, if i had registered to them it would be fine but i haven't and so i have threatened them with the police if they take anything. i don't know how they have my details but due to an impending holiday i have done a bit of online shopping so maybe thats something to do with it. i'm going to give it a couple of days before trying to contact them again if i get no reply, and if i still get no reply i'm going to contact the police.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've today received an email from these telling me that they are going to take my latest monthly payment, if i had registered to them it would be fine but i haven't and so i have threatened them with the police if they take anything. i don't know how they have my details but due to an impending holiday i have done a bit of online shopping so maybe thats something to do with it. i'm going to give it a couple of days before trying to contact them again if i get no reply, and if i still get no reply i'm going to contact the police.
    Why do you think the police might be interested?

There are good suggestions about how to resolve your difficulty earlier in this thread.

Looks like you may not have been paying full attention when doing your recent online shopping. ;)
  • Aimee72
    Aimee72 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Have to agree with wealdroam....

There are post all over this thread with help and suggestions, but i think people are more interested in moaning rather than getting things resolved first!!! the mind boggles at times :cool:
  • iamyou23
    Options
    Like others, was misled into giving my credit card details after filling in a 'cashback' form on booking a flybe.com flight.
    After noticing several payments of £14.95 going out i contacted GB Discounts, and all they did was to tell me to call their freephone number.
    In france at the time, i couldn't get through, but then found this number which DID work from abroad - just in case anyone else needs an international number for GB Discounts LV8*GB Discounts....
    0800 096 2925.
    Pleasant staff who cancelled account and promised to refund.
    good luck
  • Missme
    Missme Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    I did the Raileasy/GBD cashback thing and have to say it's clear that you are signing up to a subscription-type discount scheme and that I was inputting my details on the GBD site after the Raileasy transaction.

I cancelled within the 30 days but a payment was taken - kinda knew it would be! A simple phone call sorted the problem and I got the amount credited back to my account.

They are completely rubbish at answering emails/their contact us form as I had an initial issue with the 'membership card' making me a 'Mr'. Might have used it had it been right but never did.

Over the phone they seem to be really good - odd really as it's usually the other way round. So, yes it is a freephone number, just call them rather than writing in the first instance.
  • skysurfer
    skysurfer Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I've just shopped on fleabay, and a window to these popped up. After reading the posts, here, I'm glad I wasn't tempted. Does anyone have their address? I'd love to meet the CEO...:rotfl:
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mastercard never did arrive

compained to flybe director of marketing and got no reply
  • Geordie_bear
    Options
    Phew, google is my friend on this occasion.

Was going to sign up for it but as I always do I google to check if it's a scam and hey presto this thread popped up.

Thanks guys I've avoided this pitfall :beer:
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    iamyou23 wrote: »
    Like others, was misled into giving my credit card details after filling in a 'cashback' form on booking a flybe.com flight.

I've just followed a couple of screens to the GBD 'free trial then £14.95 monthly' offer, having been offered £20 cashback on my concert tickets, and this thread was part of my research before clicking further.

I have to say, it's blatantly obvious that I've been transferred to a GBD website from the ticket seller's website, and since I'm being prompted to enter my CC details again, that makes it doubly obvious... no element of being 'misled' here.

Company details, address, trading name etc. are all in the T&Cs that I've just browsed. If anyone wants the T&Cs or Privacy Statement posted here, just ask.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure