PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lostcause82
    Options
    Never posted on the old style part of the forum until today. I think I seriously need to consider doing this as there's only me and my partner and I put £400 on a separate card for shopping each month and seem to always run out of money. I think that is mainly because of weekend spends including alcohol. We don't do shops either just bits and pieces here and there and far too much convenience food. We did a soup batch the other day and put them in bags in the freezer so just lift one out each night ready to take for lunch the next day. Need to be more prepared!
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I decided to go to Asda today instead of Aldi, big mistake, the weekly shop came to £80.50. with discounts for multi buys etc and staff discount I got it down to £69.50 so not so bad, but at least £15 more than I was hoping to spend.

I still need petrol, but couldn't face the queues even though it is 2p a litre less than anywhere else at the moment.

So running total for the month £209.18 / £300

I still have ten days to go until payday so it is looking ok at the moment. phew!
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just back from Mr T and managed to spend £37 - I thought it would be more just looking at the trolley so was pleasantly surprised for once. I did have to buy a few toiletries (shampoo and conditioner, shower gel and toothpaste) and dog food so quite happy with the spends.

Got plenty of fruit and veg too and a few things on offer so I'm well stocked up for at least the next week, I may even be able to stretch it to 2 weeks worth with only having to buy F&V next week if I'm sensible.

Up to £81 spent now and I feel that if things don't go horribly wrong in the next few days I'll come in under budget.
  • becksfaz
    becksfaz Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    First shop today of Oct and spent £100.85/£150.
    Main reason for my overspend = hubby sneaking things into trolley!!! I spend SO much more when he 'helps'! haha.
    I did pick up a fair few offers so got more than I needed but have good supplies of things and bulging cupboards now.
    Might be tricky to achieve my target as my Oct doesn't end until Nov 7th... but remaining positive!!!
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear have gone a bit overboard with the spends today which now stand at £156.22 with only £83.78 left to last the rest of the month. :(

On the plus side there is a lot in, freezers are almost full and the cupboards are well stocked. At the moment a fair bit in the fridge but its surprising how soon a full fridge turns into an empty one. Need to keep a tight rein on spending now this week and aiming not to spend anything until Wednesday at the earliest.

Have made a quiche with Leek & pancetta as had some eggs that need using this week and also half a tub of cream opened. We will have this tomorrow for our tea but have done it today as oven on cooking a loaf and some jam tarts. Got a beef casserole in the SC which we will have with dumplings tomorrow and I am hoping that there will be some left over for Monday with some potato wedges or a jkt potato.
    Also doing chicken cannelloni in the week to use some chicken that has been in the freezer a while.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... We don't do shops either just bits and pieces here and there and far too much convenience food. We did a soup batch the other day and put them in bags in the freezer so just lift one out each night ready to take for lunch the next day. Need to be more prepared!

welcome to the GC. I found that small unplanned shops were the death of my budget, so now I always shop with a list - nipping to the corner shop for a pint of milk usually ends up costing several £s. There's some good advice on the front page of this thread. ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent £1.38 on milk today.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    First weekend shop after DS moved out and I am shocked at how much is left. :eek: I am seriously wondering if there was a girlfriend living here that I hadn't noticed :rotfl: as at least two people's food hasn't gone...

Might start buying the cake and pudding ingredients ready for my Xmas cook-in in two weeks time - I offered to make mini Xmas puds to sell at the Xmas market (using my old school recipe from some years ago...:money:) and I use cheap milk saucepans with the handle removed to make full height Xmas cakes for singles/couples that don't want a big one (three to a batch) but want something homemade for visitors. Oh yes, and I make mincemeat that is a variation on Queen D's (:A) for my HM mince pies. This is the part of Xmas I love :o

Quick review of MySM next I think

Enjoy the weekend everyone
    SL
    SuffolkLass - how's it going without your DS?
    I love the idea of using milk pans as cake tins :T I've been thinking about Christmas cake, mincemeat etc. as well. I've just used up my last big jar of AuntyD's mincemeat from 2 years ago ;) It was fine and we're still here!
    My Christmas starts properly with making the cake while having the DVD of the BBC version of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe on in the kitchen. Then I know I'm in the right mindset to deal with everything else!
    Does anyone else have traditions to do with cooking/baking?

On another note, I spent £4.52 today on rosehip cordial and eggs.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £33 in Lidl yesterday. Some baking ingredients, dairy products and also dog food for my furbabies.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lostcause - welcome to OS - you could probably quite comfortably half that and still have loads of nice eats. Read some of the tips on front page, they really help and its always good to do a stocktake to start, then mealplan using stuff you already have, just buy a few extras.

Well i have just under £20 left till end of month, so have been doing a Fiscal Fast to try and make this more achievable, and this time have stuck at it, today was day 4, so only 3 more to go - then i will have £10 per week left for salad stuff etc, so doable. Want to just buy for fridge and use up storecupboard. Hope everyones doing well, welcome to newbies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure