PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• minicooper272
    Options
    Hi all,

This will be my first full month on the challenge - I'm going to target £100 this month (from next Fri).

Food shopping seems to cost more when there's just one of you, but I need to reel my spending in a little bit. I am constantly buying food!
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I am a first timer on this thread, but really want to get my budget down, I had a look and last month it came to £343 so I am going to start off with £300 and see how I get on.
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • lovelife79
    Options
    Hello I'd like to rejoin for this month if that is ok with you all?

I have, after several months of hard saving reached my house deposit goal. It's nice n safely tucked away but now I want to save for a trip to Australia to visit all my nurse friends who r escaping over there! So let the saving begin!

Going to set a budget of £100. It's just me so hopefully won't be 2 hard! Famous last words! ;-)

Thanks
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure I saw a post here asking what APG meant but can't find it now. I think APG means Asda Price Guarantee and is from a 'glitches' thread? I've no idea what I'm talking about really so maybe someone could post the info in case the person is still looking :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hi everyone, im not joining till next Monday, but just wanted to say a big thank you to helen jelly & welcome Coxy11. See you all in October.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lovelife79 wrote: »
    Hello I'd like to rejoin for this month if that is ok with you all?

I have, after several months of hard saving reached my house deposit goal. It's nice n safely tucked away but now I want to save for a trip to Australia to visit all my nurse friends who r escaping over there! So let the saving begin!

Going to set a budget of £100. It's just me so hopefully won't be 2 hard! Famous last words! ;-)

Thanks

wow congratulations on the house deposit.

After over a year on here I find a 100.00 budget easy, some months I ony spend 50.00 I am currently on 20.00 a week as I am buying Christmas stuff. This thread and the lovely helpful people
    ar4e an inspiration . Good luck .
    Slimming World at target
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2012 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Gosh Meg that is fantastic!! How do you do it and what meals do you eat? £25.00 per week is sensational

I have just been looking at the meal planning threads. They are all good meals, but my OH and I have to eat separate meals due to special diets for health reasons. This adds alot to our costs. BUT I can still reduce my costs substantially I am sure.
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's pretty much what I spend too - I'm going to try to feed my lodger on it this month too, he's flat broke.
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • dizzydolly
    Options
    id like to join the challenge for oct starting next mon , my cupboards are full to busting and i need to use up stuff in the freezer , need the space and the extra money i hope to save for christmas ,

put me down for £ 300 please
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    I was MIA for ages, but would like to be included in October's list please.
    I've decided that a weekly challenge suits me best.
    So, can you put me down for £7 a week please? This runs from Friday to Thursday each week..

This doesn't seem doable - until you see my storecupboard that is! I've had a couple of weeks' practice, and have managed to keep to it, feeding myself and the cat. I don't include cleaning products etc, only actual food.

Yesterday I spent my £7 plus the £2.50 or so that was left over from last week. I mainly bought fresh veg, fruit and milk, and a couple of tins of cat food (she eats mostly dried). Got a packet of butter beans, which are now soaking, to be cooked later and divided into portion-sized packs for the freezer. Last week I cooked chick peas and made enough falafel for nine meals - have had it twice this week. My freezer's full of goodies like this. When I make my bread I slice it once cool, and put it into 2-slice packs, again for the freezer.

All this stretches the budget - and I do eat healthy and tasty meals. I've been a veggie for 34 years, and know this also helps with the finances.

Thanks again for organising the challenge - and good luck to everyone!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure