Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant

Options

Comments

• warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    jouef wrote: »
    ..I don't expect others to pay a share of the cost of washing my starter plate, and I do not wish to pay a share of the cost of washing their water glass......

So on a similar vain should we stop the GB Tax payer subsidising this little pokey corner of the UK to the tune of 100's of millions of pounds per year.... I'm sure the English are none to happy about that!!! Fancy a bit of a tax rise on your paypack??
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The purpose of the law that makes pubs and other places serving alcohol to give tap water free is to do with cutting down on alcoholism. It is not to give a sort of universal right to get free drinking water with your meal in any eating establishment yet many people here seems to think it is.
  • jouef
    jouef Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So on a similar vain should we stop the GB Tax payer subsidising this little pokey corner of the UK to the tune of 100's of millions of pounds per year.... I'm sure the English are none to happy about that!!! Fancy a bit of a tax rise on your paypack??
    I am posting from England, where I pay tax which I am content to see spent as the elected government sees fit. However if two people are being served items in an outlet I think they should each pay for their own ingredients and overheads (if one item is tap water the ingredient component might be negligible or waived by law).
  • jouef
    Options
    We are talking here about going into a restaurant to buy food and asking for a glass of water to accompany it, not just walking of the street and asking for a glass of water..........

Top Tip......... Don't go into business for yourself especially in the food trade..... It'll fail !!

... and we have noted that the overheads of the restaurant in providing that glass of water have to be paid by someone, even if not the person who drinks it.

I run my own successful business (not in catering) and I do filter out customers who want something for nothing unless I decide it is worth factoring their requirements into my overheads. Were I in catering I would provide free tap water for a charity donation, as in the Pizza Express example above, for the PR value. If it appeared to begin to dent sales I would consider a fee.
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    The purpose of the law that makes pubs and other places serving alcohol to give tap water free is to do with cutting down on alcoholism. It is not to give a sort of universal right to get free drinking water with your meal in any eating establishment yet many people here seems to think it is.

I'm pleased to say that in my experience it is only a very small minority of restaurants are stingy (or lazy) enough not to provide water on request. In fact if I don't ask for something to drink they will often ask if I would like water.
  • jenheiffer
    Options

People here (workers and pensioners) are paying the same rate of tax as across the water and there are people over there benefiting from our taxes as well.
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    matilda.cs wrote: »
    We've just been refused tap water in KFC kings lynn, due to a policy where "as we handle raw chicken, we are not allowed to give tap water"

I was a little shocked, as my 2 year old prefers water to other drinks...

Ridiculous. These places need to be named and shamed.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    jenheiffer wrote: »
    People here (workers and pensioners) are paying the same rate of tax as across the water and there are people over there benefiting from our taxes as well.

What we pay in is significantly less than what we take out so not really a valid argument.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jenheiffer wrote: »
    Ridiculous. These places need to be named and shamed.

She named them - KFC in kings lynn
  • jouef
    Options
    matilda.cs wrote: »
    We've just been refused tap water in KFC kings lynn, due to a policy where "as we handle raw chicken, we are not allowed to give tap water"

I was a little shocked, as my 2 year old prefers water to other drinks...
    There are 500 UK food poisoning deaths annually, the most common cause of which is cross-contamination from poultry. Children are at higher risk of complications. Fast-food outlets use work-area-separation and no-touch dispensing (like sealed bottled water) amongst other means of prevention. A policy of 'no tap water' would support this as the supply is outside any designated hand-dispensed drinks area. Instead of risking your child's health to support your sense of entitlement, why not carry a bottle filled from your own tap or just buy what's on offer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure