We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

BEWARE - Corgi HomePlan

Options

Comments

• bigaljo
    bigaljo Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2017 at 3:45PM
    Options
    Really pleased to have read these comments. I have recently received a letter inviting me to join this scheme. I was tempted by the price but after reading all of your comments I most definitely will not be joining:T
  • dobymicks
    Options
    Good to see corgihomeplan.co.uk terrible service exposed like this.
    Thus helping stop some other people including myself from falling into their clutches.
  • Mrs_Scrooge_2
    Options
    We have also had these same mailings from Corgi Homecare, and at the same time, the renewal details for our BG Homecare 4.
    Yes, it's very tempting, when Corgi are offering £228 for a year's cover, and BG want to up our annual sub by nearly £100 to £606 pa. So, sounds as if I should put the Corgi letters in the bin, but phone BG to see if they can get their quote down! ;)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    We have also had these same mailings from Corgi Homecare, and at the same time, the renewal details for our BG Homecare 4.
    Yes, it's very tempting, when Corgi are offering £228 for a year's cover, and BG want to up our annual sub by nearly £100 to £606 pa. So, sounds as if I should put the Corgi letters in the bin, but phone BG to see if they can get their quote down! ;)

We had a ludicrous renewal quote from BG, and when I phoned to say cancel the whole thing they pretty much halved it! It's disgusting how they try to con people, and I imagine some just pay up regardless because it's too much trouble to query it.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• peter_the_piper
    Options
    Received a mail from"Corgi" today and was considering them. Thanks to this thread its now in the recycle bin.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CORGI is a dog that had its day. Go to this link and you'll see why:

http://www.corgiservices.com/about/

and particularly note:

"By capitalising on the proud heritage of CORGI – and over 90% consumer awareness as a trusted brand – CORGI Services Limited is able to support industry stakeholders, and provide funds to support the work of The Gas Safety Trust.

"Currently the CORGI brand is licensed for use by a carefully selected range of businesses, including Insurance, Certification, Van Sales, Warranties, Underfloor Heating, Telecoms, Controls, Technical Services and industry-related product lines."

In other words: pay enough to use the name, and you, too, can tell everyone that you are. . . CORGI. (And instantly become a corgi from a "carefully selected range of businesses": now, where have we all heard that oh-so convincing phrase before??)

Our home has just received the latest mail-out from CORGI: "Last chance for Corgi Boiler Offer", says the outer envelope, as if there is such a thing as a Corgi boiler (though some misguided souls might think so).

Opening the envelope and out tumbles a piece of sales literature within which inconvenient truths are omitted and a knowingly misleading misrepresentation is systematically crafted, all of this to lure the unwary into thinking that the headline stuff about CORGI being "formed" in 1968 proves, beyond doubt, how long this outfit has been in business, and why its record of "Safety since 1968" makes it the best by far choice for home central heating insurance.

None of this is true.

The mail is not from a company "formed" in 1968, and is not the work of people with a record of "Safety since 1968".

For the record, and because CORGI Homeplan fails to mention it, CORGI was a voluntary standards watchdog -- NOT a company, NOT a business -- set up in 1970. Its full title was the Confederation for the Registration of Gas Installers.

As CRaGI wasn't exactly the snappiest of titles, it became CORGI in 1978, the Council for Registered Gas Installers.

As a Council (NOT a business), as an authorised watchdog backed by UK legislation (again: NOT a company) CORGI profited from registration fees that began to pour in when in 1991, Government insisted that all gas installers must register with CORGI.

Today -- at least according to the impression contrived by the authors of the junk mail campaign -- CORGI's heritage is impressive. . . so impressive and so dependable that CORGI HomePlan is built on it.

What the sales spiel doesn't say is that so amazingly impressive was CORGI that Government stripped it of its status in 2009 / 2010 and handed that function to a new entity: Gas Safe Register, managed by Capita Group on behalf of the Health & Safety Executive.

Be aware, then, that the CORGI that may recently have come through your door is NOT the CORGI you might once have known and learned to trust in. . .
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is cheaper to use a good local qualified engineer.
  • rebeccak
    rebeccak Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was thinking of signing up to Corgi so I'm glad I found this thread! I left British Gas a while ago because they kept upping the price every year and it was getting extortionate.

Currently I just have home assistance cover from my insurer (which is much, much cheaper but I know doesn't cover anything like as much) and am saving the rest of the money for a rainy (or leaky!) day.
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good thinking, Rebecca. Post #57 is spot on, identifying how the once respected CORGI name is just something to be bought and sold to any business prepared to stump up the cash. As to the so-called CORGI boiler/heating service, it's just another outfit trying to exploit the public's ignorance.

We were also with British Gas Homecare until it became very obvious that the care is actually all about British Gas's profits. We had no complaints to make about the quality of service, but the annually increasing price was unjustifiable.

We have "saved" many, many £100s over the past two years by simply employing a good local heating Gas Safe certified heating engineer to look after our now 12 year old central heating boiler. If the day comes when we have to fork out for a new boiler, we'll obviously have to bite the bullet, but in realisation that we haven't wasted all those previous £100s on a needless British Gas contract.
  • Asterix123
    Options
    I have just cancelled Corgi Homecare, wish I had reviewed this site before committing previously! For the second year running their Oxfordshire engineer has not be seen, the fact that the office have phoned 5 times to see whether the boiler has been serviced would suggest they are not in control...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback