Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• shellsworth
    shellsworth Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Shellsworth, We're getting married next week and are going for the light blue/lilac theme if you want to nosy at our pics when they come up. I'll be posting them on the April 2011 thread when I'm back for honeymoon. I think they look lovely together but it doesn't seem to be a combination that many people do (all the better I say!) ps, also a Stockport bride :)

How was your wedding? :) Where was your venue?

you will have to send me the link to your pictures so I can have a look, blue and lilac sounds like a gorgeous theme! I'm thinking purple and yellow at the moment :)
  • shellsworth
    shellsworth Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

How are everyones plans going?

Quick update from me, is that our photographers have been booked, wedding certs have been sent off to confirm the booking of the registrars and I may have found "The" dress :) going to go back again in a couple of weeks and try it on again :)

Does anyone have a spreadsheet or something that they have or are using to watch whats been spent/ savings coming in etc...?

Sxxx
  • Evansmum
    Evansmum Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 4 May 2011 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Just need to find someone for a bit of advice about the cake, can make it myself but never done a tiered one before. Pretty sure I will need a stand or something, only two tiers if someone has some idea???

Hi, I am a cakebaker, started up my own business last year. I mostly do cupcakes but have just started branching out into large cakes and stacked cakes. (I am also getting married next year, thats why I've been looking at this thread!)

Anyway, if you want to make your own wedding cake I can offer you some advice. I dont think you need a stand, alot of modern cakes now are often just sat on a cake board which is then placed directly on the table. but make sure the top of the board is covered with icing and has a ribbon around the edge to hide the silver. Looks much nicer. Have you made cakes before? It would be best to do something like a maderia or chocolate mudcake as these last really well so you can make them in good time before your wedding. (But of course fruitcake lasts even longer so you can make that up way in advance!) Youtube is absolutely brilliant so check it out for tips on covering cakes and stacking them. If you want anymore advice just let me know xxx

Also, there is a group on Facebook called Fans of Cakebaker. There are 100's of cakebakers on there all over the country and they are mostly people who make cakes from home so are doing it for the love of cakes and not money. You could also get some advice on there if you needed xxx
  • TheOrchard_2
    Options
    I am horrified that you are advocating brides to be, buying cheap imitation wedding dresses from China. Most of these gowns are poor quality copies of designer gowns even the material is of poor quality.. I work in a bridal shop and these horrific gowns are a nightmare. Please look at bridesaware
    I recently had a bride that bought her wedding dress and 5 bridesmaids gowns from a chinese supplier on ebay they were all too small even though they were 'made to measure' None of the gowns had enough material to fit the girls busts in, the material was very poor quality, these gowns were red and white but the red was bleeding into the white and they hadn't even been worn goodness knows what they would be like if they were worn on warm day. These gowns were copies of a reputable bridal manufacturer who is now having to spend thousands to try and stop these people from tarnishing there name.....
    You are only meant to get married once so please think about what you buy.
    These gowns should not be allowed into the country they are counterfeit goods..........
  • ickle_yoda
    ickle_yoda Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options

Have also been thinking about a veil, not a problem as I can make it, just unsure on the colour, match the dress or go for white? It won't be covering my face.

[...]

Plus, brainwave 2 (will have to lay down in a minute) Having 2 or 3pm wedding so only feed one lot of guests and invite evening to start about 7pm so they'll already have eaten!

re veil, lovely people in the place I bought my dress said it's best to match dress or the White would stand out too much.

And I'm doing exactly the same - always feel buffet isn't really needed at most weddings, anyway!:beer:
    Gaffa tape is like the Force;
    It has a Dark side, a Light side
    and it holds the universe together
  • lili1984
    lili1984 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2011 at 9:56PM
    Options
    I'm currently planning my own wedding and have started posting some tips and links for people to use and comment on their own ideas. Hopefully it might be of help to some people!

Just checked out the great site Rock n Roll bride and a relative newcomer on the wedding photography scene, Hannah Millard (based in Derbyshire) is giving people the chance to get their wedding photos done for free! Looking at her arty photos it looks as though she is going to be in high demand over the next few months!
    Check out the blog: Type "rock n roll bride" into Google and then search for Hannah Millard

my tips:
    on facebook: search for My Vintage Wedding

on wordpress: lilirose84.wordpress.com

Thanks!
    :j
  • costcutterkaz
    Options
    Thanks Evansmum
    Anyway, if you want to make your own wedding cake I can offer you some advice. I dont think you need a stand, alot of modern cakes now are often just sat on a cake board which is then placed directly on the table. but make sure the top of the board is covered with icing and has a ribbon around the edge to hide the silver. Looks much nicer. Have you made cakes before? It would be best to do something like a maderia or chocolate mudcake as these last really well so you can make them in good time before your wedding. (But of course fruitcake lasts even longer so you can make that up way in advance!) Youtube is absolutely brilliant so check it out for tips on covering cakes and stacking them. If you want anymore advice just let me know

I do make my own cakes, but never done a wedding one before!

Can I (without a stand) just put the cakes on top of each other or do i need a board in the middle? someone said it wouldn't be very secure otherwise!

Thanks again x
    :love: 2nd June 2012 :love:

• Scotsbride
    Scotsbride Posts: 960 Forumite
    Options
    TheOrchard wrote: »
    I am horrified that you are advocating brides to be, buying cheap imitation wedding dresses from China. Most of these gowns are poor quality copies of designer gowns even the material is of poor quality.. I work in a bridal shop and these horrific gowns are a nightmare. Please look at bridesaware
    I recently had a bride that bought her wedding dress and 5 bridesmaids gowns from a chinese supplier on ebay they were all too small even though they were 'made to measure' None of the gowns had enough material to fit the girls busts in, the material was very poor quality, these gowns were red and white but the red was bleeding into the white and they hadn't even been worn goodness knows what they would be like if they were worn on warm day. These gowns were copies of a reputable bridal manufacturer who is now having to spend thousands to try and stop these people from tarnishing there name.....
    You are only meant to get married once so please think about what you buy.
    These gowns should not be allowed into the country they are counterfeit goods..........

I don't think people are advocating buying dresses from China or counterfeit dresses. I think people are mearly advising that there are sites which offer cheaper dresses which some people have had good experience of some whom haven't been so lucky. Wedding dresses are really expensive and a lot of us simply can't afford to spend in excess of a grand on a dress! if you can suggest ways of buying a good quality dress without spending a fortune we would very much like to hear it.
    :kisses3: Married 29th September 2012:love:
  • Evansmum
    Options
    Thanks Evansmum

I do make my own cakes, but never done a wedding one before!

Can I (without a stand) just put the cakes on top of each other or do i need a board in the middle? someone said it wouldn't be very secure otherwise!

Thanks again x

You will need a thin board under each cake and dowels in the cake to support it otherwise it may collapse. Put the uncut dowel in the cake, measure where it just sticks out of the cake and then cut it, and cut the other dowels to the same length so the cake will sit level. you will need 3 or 4 dowels in each of the bottom tiers xxx
  • costcutterkaz
    Options
    Evansmum wrote: »
    You will need a thin board under each cake and dowels in the cake to support it otherwise it may collapse. Put the uncut dowel in the cake, measure where it just sticks out of the cake and then cut it, and cut the other dowels to the same length so the cake will sit level. you will need 3 or 4 dowels in each of the bottom tiers xxx

And sorry to be a huge pain but what would I do if I wanted to use pillars instead? :o

Beginning to have a lot of problems with this wedding, and haven't managed to book it yet!!!

The registry office, according to my friend who gets married there a week on sat, only sits up to 40 people.

Well just family and no friends come to 56, and that's including them all and hoping some can't make it!

The nearest church that will be suitable is £360, which is alot different from £105 the year for the reg office.

The club I wanted to hire now charge £20 an hour, not cheap if you think that the place closes at 12 midnight, so £100 would only get you the place from 7pm till closing! :mad:

But the good news is all the stuff for the invites have arrived safely
    The veil is really gorgeous just got to dye it to match
    A friend of mine that's training to be a florist has said she'll do the bouquets for free if she gets an invite to the evening do!
    I've found the perfect dress for my older bridemaids, it belongs to a friend but she's letting me make a pattern of it so I can make them up in my colours and I found a flower girl dress, waistcoat and cravat patterns in my old prima magazines, so won't have to buy any!

Well sorry for the quick rant, needed to get it off my chest. Don't want to scare OH with it, lol
    :love: 2nd June 2012 :love:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport