We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• angelcakes_smw
    Options
    just got FH a suit from Tesco, it is lovely and just the colour we were thinking! he's been trying on suits for ages and for the price of them he says they just arent worth it but this one is just as good as the others and was only £60, then there is the £5 off £25+ spend so I went through with the jacket and he took the trousers separately so we've ended up with £10 off! £50 for a gorgeous suit!! FAB!!! :D
  • LaurenC
    LaurenC Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought I'd comment that I saw these shoes in New Look today and they are gorgeous. Perfect for anyone who is looking for a classic style at a low price :) I have a gift voucher so am thinking of purchasing them. My first purchase for 2012/2013 wedding!

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/shoes/ribbon-bow-satin-shoes_214661512
  • shellsworth
    Options
    I'm going to contact local collages now and see what they can offer!

My mum works for The Manchester College and has told me that starting September they may do a florist course - so might get a discount there *fingers crossed*.

My parents are divorced which makes for some akwardsness but on the plus my mum has just asked if she can buy my dress ( so I can take that from the budget) and my dad is buying the rings ( another thing struck off the list) :)

Booked an appointment to try on wedding dresses on 16th April ( excited much!!!)

We are still deciding on colours! We are getting married at Easter so the colours im thinking are yellow, light sagey green, and light blue/Lilac but I'm not sure if these will work :undecided
  • shellsworth
    Options
    ooo Lauren those shoes look lovely - esp for the price!!

I think I'm going to buy an silly pair of shoes - just because thats me all over :) but I dont know if this will be asking for " the look of disgust"
  • wiggychick
    wiggychick Posts: 112 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2011 at 3:57PM
    Options
    Hi Shellsworth,
    Ditto what White Saphire said.

Don't bother with any of the glossy bridal mags - they were one of the things I was looking forward to most, but they just make you feel inadequate with airbrushed models and £50k budgets. Stick to the web or small format practical mags (Wedding Ideas & similar)

No guest ever looked back on a wedding saying "ooh what lovely chair covers" The aim is to have them remembering how happy you both were (and are). Everything else is just frosting.

There will almost certainly be problems, stresses and Bridezilla moments. Take a deep breath and carry on. (and feel free to use the forum, there are many people who read this who have between them seen just about everything and give good advice)

Always remember the day belongs to the two of you & your future happiness is the most important thing. If you keep your focus on each other then no matter what happens, even if everything goes perfectly(!), you'll have a wonderful and memorable day.

Good luck!

Wiggy xx

PS and choose at least one grown up bridesmaid who can help you go to the loo in your dress/ guard your cake/ keep estranged parents appart/ pass you tissues/ be a friendly ear/ help keep you grounded
  • MrsBroadbent2Be
    Options
    Hi All :)

After reading this thread for the last couple of years, i have decided to finally post something on here!

I am getting married on 23rd july! Our budget is medium (£7000) but my dad is covering half of that by paying for the reception which has been a huge help!!

I have tried to do things in a MSE way and have some tips listed below:

My mum is making my wedding cake for me
    I bought both my bridesmaid dresses from Preloved (£100 for both dresses)
    I went to a small local custom jewller and had both the rings made in palladium which was far cheaper than highstreet
    I haggled for free alterations on my wedding dress (saving 150)
    I am not using baloons at the reception (helium is expensive) instead i spent about £100 on ebay and got: 10 large glass "fishbowl" vases, 2000 rose petals, 8000 scatter crystals, and 60 floating candles which will all be used to decorate my tables. i also got my cake topper from Ebay (£12)
    I used Ebay for a lot of the stationary (it would probably have been cheaper to make it but i didnt have the time or patience!)

Our reception is a golf club and they are charging us £30 per head for room hire, 3 course meal, 2 drinks per person and a bacon sandwhich later on. its not as cheap as some of you but our options were limited at the place we want to marry.

The vicar has kindly agreed to ring the bells for free for us after the wedding (usually about £50).

Only 3.5 months to go and the panic is starting to set in! we havent taken out any loans to cover this, instead we worked out what we spend on bills each months and put EVERYTHING else towards the wedding. its been tough but worth it to be married without extra debt. :j
  • ieimimiai
    ieimimiai Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I got engaged back in september but due to buying house at the time decided to leave off planning the wedding till recenlty, wish i hadnt!!! I didnt realise just how hard it would be to find a venue thats suitable! its been quite stressful so far and i havent even started yet! Theres been lots of 'its a long way out for people', 'my family wont do that'(from OH) etc etc and although we guessed at a budget we would like to spend this seems to keep going up as i discover what things are really going to cost, i have an appointment to view a place that i think is going to be perfect but is expensive and would make the overall cost go up a bit more, i think we could afford it as both have savings and if save as much as poss over next year should be ok, but have to convince OH of this and also myself a bit! im quite sensible with money usually but i kinda think that it wouldnt hurt for once to just do what i want for a change and not worry so much about being sensible, after all i wouldnt be getting into debt so thats still sensible right?!! sorry this is a bit long, just needed to get my thoughts out! mainly actually wanted to ask if anyone had had experience of hagging with a venue that is a private estate as thats what im looking at and would be good if i could get it a bit cheeper!

ieimimiai
    Married on 16th June 2012. :j
  • insomniac03
    insomniac03 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to contact local collages now and see what they can offer!

My mum works for The Manchester College and has told me that starting September they may do a florist course - so might get a discount there *fingers crossed*.

My parents are divorced which makes for some akwardsness but on the plus my mum has just asked if she can buy my dress ( so I can take that from the budget) and my dad is buying the rings ( another thing struck off the list) :)

Booked an appointment to try on wedding dresses on 16th April ( excited much!!!)

We are still deciding on colours! We are getting married at Easter so the colours im thinking are yellow, light sagey green, and light blue/Lilac but I'm not sure if these will work :undecided

Hey Shellsworth, We're getting married next week and are going for the light blue/lilac theme if you want to nosy at our pics when they come up. I'll be posting them on the April 2011 thread when I'm back for honeymoon. I think they look lovely together but it doesn't seem to be a combination that many people do (all the better I say!) ps, also a Stockport bride :)
  • White_Sapphire
    White_Sapphire Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options

I think those colours would be stunning together - imagine crocuses in shades of lilac and yellow on a green background - perfect for a Spring wedding, I think! :T

Good luck with your dress shopping tomorrow!
    :heart::heart::heart: Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012 :heart::heart::heart:
    :love:

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect. :)
  • potato_pizza
    potato_pizza Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2011 at 2:18AM
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been reading these tips for a while now and thought I'd contribute mine and OH's recent efforts at a cake. It was actually for my Nan's 90th birthday but we thought it could be a really cost-effective and beautiful wedding cake.

We got 2 fruit cakes from Tesco and then used some dowel to secure them, tied some pink ribbon around and ordered the sugar flowers from the internet. Whole thing came to about £50 and my Nan was delighted.:j

Hope the link works as I haven't done this before...
    th_P1000038.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family