We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• sunshine_shell2000
    Options
    Hi All,

I have 12 days until i get married. Nervously excited now!! :D:eek:

Hannahbanana1: For my centrepieces I have bought cream moroccan lanterns from dunelm for £5 each. All i need is a tealight to put inside and tealights decorated around the lantern. Romantic and cheap!!!

Another tip I have is to look on youtube for wedding/ bridal make-up tutorials for ideas. Have a go at practicing and perfecting the different styles before the big day.
    Also look for bridal hair tutorials to see whether you can save a bit of money perfecting your own hair instead of paying for a professional.

Also main thing is people want to help out. Don't be bashful! Take people up on their offers (providing they are trustworthy) and relieve some of the stress and worry.

Thank you for all the advice people have posted in this forum. :beer:
  • wedding_girl
    Options
    Hi to you all,

Can anyone advise me of any experience on the Bluebell railway weddings in east sussex, we would love to do this as my father used to drive the bluebell train many many years ago.

My thoughts are is it worth the money? any other tips from anyone else marrying there.

Thanks in advance .

Sorry forget to mention hoping to marry later this year.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but as part of an Easter feature in Good Food magazine I spotted a photo of plain egg cups with little name tags tied round them with blue ribbon (though obviously you could change that depending on what colour you use. I thought that'd be a lovely place name for anyone having an Easter/spring/country themed wedding, and you could fill the egg cups with your favours.

Just a suggestion like...
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • UmbraFeles
    UmbraFeles Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh that's a nice idea, and fill them with mini eggs / mini creme eggs instead of sugared almonds. Yum!
    Getting married: 21/06/12! :D
    Current weight loss: 2st!!!
  • angelcakes_smw
    Options
    not sure if its been mentioned but check etsy.com for things, especially the rings! most sellers ship worldwide.
  • ickle_yoda
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to be a bridesmaid next year- very excited! it's a very low budget wedding. They've kindly bought me the dress but i'm sorting hair and makeup myself. I don't know anyone who could help with these and am not confident doing it myself. i've recently moved to live in Chelmsford. Can anyone recommend anyone who charges a reasonable amount for these? thanks :)

You've probably long since sorted this but if not, Havering College in Ardleigh Green, just off A127, does hair and beauty courses and you can get treatments for cost of products. I know they do French Plait comp. Don't know about 'up do's' but google Havering College Hair and Beauty and give them a call. One of the students may even come to you and the rest of the bridal party if you ask.
    Good luck!
    Gaffa tape is like the Force;
    It has a Dark side, a Light side
    and it holds the universe together
  • mandy130
    mandy130 Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I am getting married!!!! this september, like most of you I am on a budget of £2000. A few tips I have picked up are....DIY cakes, buying from the supermarket and decorate them yourself, have a friend with a nice car drive you and instead of buying flowers to decorate the church, you can buy pull bows for the pews....they look really nice. I haven't had time to read thru 134 pages so I am not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I was thinking about contacting the local university and finding maybe a 2nd or 3rd year photographer who would like to gain experience by being my photographer, this would be alot cheaper and although may be risky, I think its worth it!

Good Luck! x
    New Year's Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time!
  • shellsworth
    Options
    Hello!

I am still working my way through this thread ( page 58 and still going strong!) but I thought I would introduce myself.

Me and the OH got engaged about two months ago. We live in Stockport and have been frantically trying to find the perfect venue - I thought it would be simple and would go to one venue and that would be it but far from it! Every weekend since we got engaged we have been trapsing round looking at another run down wedding venue - I cant get over how dirty and un kept some venues are, yet they still want you to sell your Kidneys to be able to afford it!

Finally we managed to find our venue, Statham Lodge in Lymm. It is such a lovley place I'm so glad we found it! Now the venue is booked I felt less stressed, for all of 5 minutes then it hit me how much planning I have got to do!! EEP!:eek:

So far our wedding savings have been:
    Venue - because we signed up on a bridal fayre day we got lots of freebies thrown in
    Cake - my sister's friend does cakes in her spare time so she is going to make our cup cake cake at cost :)
    Cars - My boss has offered to let us use his cars, he has a Mercedes, BMW, Rangerover and Jag. so should have no shortage of cars :)

We are trying to stick to a budget of around £12-£14k so any more Money saving ideas would be very welcome :)
  • White_Sapphire
    Options
    Welcome Shellsworth!

Congratulations on finding your venue - that's always a headache to get sorted!!!

You've definitely saved loads of money already by what you've done so far. The best wedding money-saving tip I have been given is to get family, friends, friends of friends etc involved before shelling out money to professionals. You've already done that with the cake and cars, and it's always worth asking round to see if anyone knows anyone who happens to be a DJ, or a florist, or who makes their own greetings cards and would be willing to do your invites, etc.

Loads more tips and ideas to be found on here, but that's the one that springs to mind straight away :)

Good luck with the planning, keep us updated!

x
    :heart::heart::heart: Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012 :heart::heart::heart:
    :love:

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect. :)
  • angelcakes_smw
    Options
    you could ask a local uni/college if they have any 3rd year students they feel are at an acceptable level to come and do your photos :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport