Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• Elmo_luvs_you
    Options
    Hi Purple_Star,

I'm also (from and) getting married in NE Scotland, (Aberdeenshire) :)
    We looked at several wedding reception ideas. One of our initial options was Banchory (or any large town) Scout Hut. It's a large hall - which is basically a blank canvas. It also has a small kitchen so you could maybe rope in some friends to help you decorate it and to also create a buffet. They have trestle tables and chairs. If I remember correctly they asked for £100 to hire it for the night! (I'll see if I can find the info and PM you more specific details if you like?)

Elmo :) x
    Elmo :) xx

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2019
    Frump to Fab 2019
  • Purple_star_2
    Options
    Hi Elmo

Thanks for your idea, I like it! I'm actually going to look at Raemoir house hotel which is near Banchory so could pop in and have a look at the scout hall, it would be great if you could send me the details.
    The reason why all of this is extra difficult is that I'm living in Cyprus for the next 2 years so I'm trying to fit in as much as possible in my brief trips back to Scotland!

purple
  • Purple_star_2
    Options
    Cheers Elmo, you've given me great inspiration :) I looked up halls for hire in Aberdeenshire and have found a really beautiful looking place in Aboyne. That small thing has brought our whole wedding plan together, it's brilliant! I've now finally got the OH to give me an opinion on something and we've agreed that neither of is keen on having a posh, fancy wedding - even though the impression I had from him up until now is that he really wanted to have it in a nice hotel!
    So, the plan is this - hopefully that hall will be as lovely as it looks. It's going to be more of a party than a wedding, we both just want a really fun day. with the actual ceremony only playing a very small part of the day. We're going to have a massive BBQ instead of fancy food, nobody has to dress up all posh unless they want to (although I think my mum's already been hat shopping!) and we're going to raid the supermarkets for cheap booze.

Any ideas for fun stuff to do at the party would be much appreciated - i.e. games to play etc to amuse adults and kids alike, just something to liven things up :)

I can't wait for my big party, it's going to be the best day ever :)
  • 98sidney
    98sidney Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Getting married 3/12/11..
    Guildhall £300.

If you are looking for a cheap hall to hold a reception and wish to have a sit down meal check out masonic halls, as these are empty most of the time so our rented our very cheaply.
    We are paying £75 that includes a cleaner for afterwards.
    They have there own chef, so will do a 3 course meal for £9 a head.

There is one right near the guildhall in poole to hire..

Hall comes with all tables and chairs, just pay £1 per person for linen..

Spotted in charity shop fishbowls for a pound each so will be making my own tables decs, in 99p shop at mo they have florist balls so will be using them and battery candles..
    ♥♥♥Life is too short to wake up with regrets ♥ So love the people who treat you right. ♥ Forget about the one’s who don’t ♥ Believe everything happens for a reason ♥ If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands ♥ If it changes your life, let it ♥ Nobody said life would be easy, they just promise it would be worth it ♥
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all,
    Have spent the past few hours trawling through this thread. Me and H2B are getting married in November 2012. Our budget is in the middle, probably about 9k including contributions from mum and dad (dad paying for reception and photographer, mum paying for my outfit and sister outfit) Trying to keep the outfits within budget as my mum has set aside 2k for it and any change from that will be for whatever we want to spend it on.
    Has anyone here been to the birmingham flower market? My sister was a florist so is going to do her bouquet and my centrepieces so thinking of heading there the day before to pick them up.
  • abi-em-mum83
    abi-em-mum83 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys I have found some amazing small businesses and crafters on Facebook that are so much more individual and better priced than some of the mainstream suppliers! there is one who does gorgeous wedding/bridesmaids dresses and more, made to measure, for between £250-500! She mad a replica of the Kate Middleton dress, which I said I would like to see something a bit different, and using my suggestions she has made up a dress that is perfect for me! She is also doing my bridesmaids dresses! She has an adult bridesmaid dress that me and my maid of honour has fallen in love with, and she is going to make me 2 junior bridesmaids dresses and 2 flowergirl dresses to match!
    I am also in Aberdeen, so Elmo and Purple star its really interesting seeing your suggestions. Will be really nice to have local ideas!xx
    Ideas,help and advice always welcome, judgements and assumptions are not!!
    :happyhearMarrying my Mr Perfect 2013 :grin:
  • 98jdougl
    Options
    I'm trying to find a local dressmaker with those kind of prices as well - how did you find them on facebook?
  • abi-em-mum83
    Options
    98jdougl wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a local dressmaker with those kind of prices as well - how did you find them on facebook?

Hi it was through someone elses pages. If you search My Big fat Gorgeous Wedding on Facebook you'll find her. She has an amazing variety of dresses, all of which can be made to measure and adjusted to your liking! I havent seen anything first hand yet so I cant be 100% sure of the quality but she has lots of happy customers on her profile, and shes in the process of opening up a showroom so hopefully soon I can go and try on the ones I like!
    Ideas,help and advice always welcome, judgements and assumptions are not!!
    :happyhearMarrying my Mr Perfect 2013 :grin:
  • 98jdougl
    Options
    I've posted in local wedding groups and selling groups asking if anyone knows of a local dressmaker but no response yet :(
    I'm in Shropshire so would be a bit far to travel, looking at one in Troon though, same prices and we have friend recommendations and have seen the work she does, but would rather have someone local to me
  • cherrylips87
    Options
    hiya ladies,

I found planning my wedding really stressy (didnt help that i was pregnant either lol) however i wanted to find something unique for decorating the tables and the top table i came across Sam`s Crafts on Facebook (cant post link as i am newbie :()

She made me freestanding Number fully gemmed and a Mr & Mrs Taylor freestanding for the toptable.
    Sam is now my number 1 contact if i want something pretty she also just made me some Initials which are stunning.
    I got so much from Sam and it really did make my wedding unique and i still have people ask me where i got them from.
    Defently worth having a look at.

Anyway hope you all have a great day and wish you the best in-laws :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family