BT Nightmare!

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I did. It says that there is an area fault that has take longer than expected to fix.
    The fault developed last weekend, and it is not unknown for such faults to take 5 working days or more to track and repair. The OP was apparently distraught on the phone because it was not fixed by Tuesday!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Yes I did. It says that there is an area fault that has take longer than expected to fix.
    The fault developed last weekend, and it is not unknown for such faults to take 5 working days or more to track and repair. The OP was apparently distraught on the phone because it was not fixed by Tuesday!
    when calling BT, a recorded message announced there was a major fault in the area. On tuesday it was still not fixed so I called again, to hear a recorded message saying the fault was fixed.

This doesn't sound like stolen cables.
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zoe could you get onto a mobile broadband as a backup for your business where you are?
  • macman
    Options
    This doesn't sound like stolen cables.

I didn't say it was stolen cables, I said it was an area fault which may have required recabling. My point was that not all faults can be fixed in a couple of days, and that fact that you happen to run a business from home does not give you any sort of priority repair.
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    I didn't say it was stolen cables, I said it was an area fault which may have required recabling. My point was that not all faults can be fixed in a couple of days, and that fact that you happen to run a business from home does not give you any sort of priority repair.

Well BT told the OP that the fault was fixed, when it obviously wasn't. So that probably reset the clock. If they had carried out the repair properly in the first place, then it would probably have been fixed within 3 days.

Business or residential, you should be able to expect a fast and efficient repair service. For some residential customers, a phone line is essential.

By the way, what is your connection with BT?? I'm not having a dig, I just think that it is unusual for someone to defend poor service.
  • macman
    Options
    I have no connection with BT. But you seem unable to understand that some repairs that require major works cannot be done overnight.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    I'm more concerned at your inability to appreciate that all customers are not equal, and that service level guarantees should be ignored. As a start up, the FIRST thing I did was switch to a business line. Not only did I get fast fix repairs, but a free entry in Yellow Pages.

The decision to do comms on the cheap remains an option for those who wish to take a risk, but please - take off those rose-tints. You will always get what you pay for. I even went so far as having dissimilar routing for my lines to ensure area faults would not affect me, and they never did.

As a reasonably happy Virgin customer, I still have a BB dongle ready to go if my service goes down. Those who do not take contingency measures have only themselves to blame. A rebate for services not supplied is never compensation.
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    I have no connection with BT. But you seem unable to understand that some repairs that require major works cannot be done overnight.

I didn't say overnight. I said three days.
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    I'm more concerned at your inability to appreciate that all customers are not equal, and that service level guarantees should be ignored. As a start up, the FIRST thing I did was switch to a business line. Not only did I get fast fix repairs, but a free entry in Yellow Pages.

The decision to do comms on the cheap remains an option for those who wish to take a risk, but please - take off those rose-tints. You will always get what you pay for. I even went so far as having dissimilar routing for my lines to ensure area faults would not affect me, and they never did.

As a reasonably happy Virgin customer, I still have a BB dongle ready to go if my service goes down. Those who do not take contingency measures have only themselves to blame. A rebate for services not supplied is never compensation.

I think you are missing my point completely. I do agree with you, and I do know that business customers get a better service than domestic. However new businesses have to start somewhere. And in this case BT are falling below their own standards for repairs. If the OP was with lets say Sky, but on a BT line, then BT would have to fix the fault within two or three days.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    And in this case BT are falling below their own standards for repairs. If the OP was with lets say Sky, but on a BT line, then BT would have to fix the fault within two or three days.

You don't seem to differentiate between BT and Openreach. If a Sky customer has an issue, then their only recourse is to Sky. If OR have issues restoring the service, then it is unfortunate, but the customer has no complaint with BT or OR, only Sky. I prefer dealing with the Organ Grinder than the monkey, so VM is my choice as they are my supplier and cannot attempt to hand off any blame to a third party I have no arrangement with.

If the fault is not fixed in time due to engineering issues - what then?
    2-3 days is an aspiration NOT a guarantee. If it is a week you get a rental rebate, and perhaps a goodwill gesture for inconvenience, but what use is that to a business user? With a legitimate business line, you get the priority your payment deserves - a mobile that accepts your calls until your line is restored. A sensible and businesslike response to an issue that could be a disaster. Having to 'start somewhere' is hardly a valid reason - if it goes down, you suffer with all the other domestic users paying the same.
    y
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport