BT Nightmare!

Options
Last weekend, we lost our broadband and telephone, when calling BT, a recorded message announced there was a major fault in the area. On tuesday it was still not fixed so I called again, to hear a recorded message saying the fault was fixed. I then had to report a fault on my broadband and telephone and received an email saying it would be fixed by 31st August!
Still we have been having problems. This morning we call again, are told that the fault had been closed and they would reopen, this time we were told it would be fixed by 4th September. We were told someone would call us back with an update, they didnt, I then called again, and was cut off when I asked to speak to a manager. I then called again and had to insist
on speaking to a manager. He informed me he wasnt allowed to let me speak to anyone in the UK. I have no problem with any call centres, whatever country they are in, but I cant understand the accents and they cant understand mine. After bursting into tears, the manager said all he could
do was mail the UK. I have my own internet business, its just 8 months old, I have worked my rear off to get it to the position it is in and in the space of a few days BT are destroying it. I just want some help. The call centre staff are very limited in what they can do. Im so worried about my business, just want broadband fixed. What do I do? How on earth can I get some help????

Thanks for reading

Zoe

Comments

• Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    Options
    Last weekend, we lost our broadband and telephone, when calling BT, a recorded message announced there was a major fault in the area. On tuesday it was still not fixed so I called again, to hear a recorded message saying the fault was fixed. I then had to report a fault on my broadband and telephone and received an email saying it would be fixed by 31st August!
    Still we have been having problems. This morning we call again, are told that the fault had been closed and they would reopen, this time we were told it would be fixed by 4th September. We were told someone would call us back with an update, they didnt, I then called again, and was cut off when I asked to speak to a manager. I then called again and had to insist
    on speaking to a manager. He informed me he wasnt allowed to let me speak to anyone in the UK. I have no problem with any call centres, whatever country they are in, but I cant understand the accents and they cant understand mine. After bursting into tears, the manager said all he could
    do was mail the UK. I have my own internet business, its just 8 months old, I have worked my rear off to get it to the position it is in and in the space of a few days BT are destroying it. I just want some help. The call centre staff are very limited in what they can do. Im so worried about my business, just want broadband fixed. What do I do? How on earth can I get some help????

Thanks for reading

Zoe

I'm not sure how to get there through the BT menu system. But you need to select the option to leave BT, and I should think that you will then be put through to a UK call centre.

This is how it works with Virgin, so I should think it is also similar with BT.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2012 at 1:06PM
    Options
    So, you're running a business from a residential line? Afraid you are only getting what you paid for - non-critical domestic service.

With a business line you get expedited fault repair, and compensation if not fixed by the next working day. It may be better to pay the extra an dhave peace of mind.

You also get a UK call centre.
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    So, you're running a business from a residential line? Afraid you ae ny getting what you paid for - non-critical domestic service.

With a business line you get expedited fault repair, and compensation if no fixed by the next working day. It may be better to pay the extra an have peace of mind. You also get a UK call centre.

With respect, many people start up a business from home using a domestic service. Then then progress and change to a business one. However business or domestic, it is not acceptable to just fob people off, and not repair the fault.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    I'm not sure how to get there through the BT menu system. But you need to select the option to leave BT, and I should think that you will then be put through to a UK call centre.

This is how it works with Virgin, so I should think it is also similar with BT.

Whilst it might be true, the retentions team are not going to be a position where they can raise a fault and would likely put you back to tech support (the indian call centre).
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    Whilst it might be true, the retentions team are not going to be a position where they can raise a fault and would likely put you back to tech support (the indian call centre).

Personally I'm with Virgin. And it works with them, because they have UK call centres, and overseas ones for the overflow and out of hours calls.

So it's worth a try, just in case BT have a similar system.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the OP's phone service is so critical that a few days break in service willl wreck it, then clearly they need to be on a business contract from day one.
    It's a breach of the T&C's, and furthermore there is no SLA on a residential contract-all they will get is a credit for the downtime.
    It's clearly not a line fault, it's a major fault affecting the whole area, so a quick fix cannot be expected.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    If the OP's phone service is so critical that a few days break in service willl wreck it, then clearly they need to be on a business contract from day one.
    It's a breach of the T&C's, and furthermore there is no SLA on a residential contract-all they will get is a credit for the downtime.
    It's clearly not a line fault, it's a major fault affecting the whole area, so a quick fix cannot be expected.

But as I said, many people start up their businesses from home, with as little outlay as possible. So it is quite common to use a residential line initially. But this is no excuse for poor service. In fact from what I have been told by a BT engineer previously, I believe they have about 2 or 3 days time limit.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hey TheSewingCroft

I have just seen you post and would like to look into this for you, if you check out my profile section you will find my contact details

Regards David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But as I said, many people start up their businesses from home, with as little outlay as possible. So it is quite common to use a residential line initially. But this is no excuse for poor service. In fact from what I have been told by a BT engineer previously, I believe they have about 2 or 3 days time limit.

5 working days is fairly typical for a residential service. A major outage could require recabling (cable theft now beng an everyday occurence), that cannot be done in a couple of days.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    5 working days is fairly typical for a residential service. A major outage could require recabling (cable theft now beng an everyday occurence), that cannot be done in a couple of days.

Did you actually read the OP's post?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport