PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi, iceland has the massive bottles of Heinz tom sauce for 2 quid think its 1170 ml. SMALL SPEND IN ICELAND OF 6.00 GOT 3 BOTTLES WILL UPDATE SIG.....forgot to turn caps lock off.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • nicknack
    Options
    here is the Elite thread - they share instances where the sm is giving stuff away, paying you to take it or by price-comparing, you can get vouchers for the differece

The link takes you to the first page of stream 11 - it moves too fast for me.

HTH
    SL

SL - Just had a really quick look at this thread before I go to work and I'm a bit confused (it doesn't take much:)). Do you have to buy certain amounts of different things before the glitch kicks in? TIA
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    here is the Elite thread - they share instances where the sm is giving stuff away, paying you to take it or by price-comparing, you can get vouchers for the differece

The link takes you to the first page of stream 11 - it moves too fast for me.

HTH
    SL
    Since posting this link the Elite thread has a new overflow run up and going. It has 880 replies as at 12.40 pm Friday and was only started at 8.45pm Thursday so when I say fast, I mean it:eek: it is here if anyone wants to look.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello!

Another spend of £4.10 in Mr S on broccoli, onions, potatoes and mushrooms.

Onions and potatoes were more expensive than Mr W, but because I'm going on holiday on Monday I haven't renewed by monthly travel card. I'm using Oyster pay as you go, so pay per journey - if I got off at Mr W, then carried on home, it would count as one extra journey (£2), so would actually lose money relative to the £1ish saving I would make.

Basic meals for the next 2 days using up what's in the freezer - Carbonara tonight and sausage and mash with onion gravy tomorrow.

Seeing the athletics tomorrow but need to be up early (at 6am) - will be very tired tomorrow because I'm not a morning person! Will be worth it though hopefully. :D

Lunch today was leftover goulash (not much) with a couple of pitta breads that my house mate bought and didn't want any more.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    she_who_can_not_cook Posts: 650 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2012 at 4:12PM
    Options
    lollyfin wrote: »
    Ok I am doing absolutely rubbish. I only have £79.70 left of my budget for the rest of the month!!! I need to stay out of the sm thats the only thing I can do. I go in with my teeny tiny top up list and then find bargains and for some reason think there will never be any bargains again so I have to buy them. One good thing is we will definately not starve soon, cupboards and freezer stuffed full, I even have stuff sitting in boxes because I dont have space to put it away. I think i may have a serious shopping problem but on the bright side at least its food and not designer shoes :)
    you are not alone i am in the same boat food all over ect ect i have to tell HIM take care when you open a cupboard any cupboard stuff will fall out a hit ya
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 September 2012 at 1:03PM
    Options
    nicknack wrote: »
    SL - Just had a really quick look at this thread before I go to work and I'm a bit confused (it doesn't take much:)). Do you have to buy certain amounts of different things before the glitch kicks in? TIA

I'm no expert, I just lurk there sometimes. From my reading (skimming) there are all sorts of variations. At the moment there are loads of new people using it (going by the irritation levels of one or two regular posters) and hundreds of clarification queries, which combined with the chatter makes it quite time consuming to find the actual deals. I know Jumblejack is a regular and active poster on that forum so your questions may be best PM'd to her.

I even set my default page view to 40 instead of 20 posts as my broadband is slow (owt hier with the couwes:rotfl:) and I can get through quicker but I still find it hard to follow - I think Elite may be a life choice. I find the coupon thread more up my strasse, I can browse the latest offers and print them if I use that product. That is here if you don't already know. For example, the colgate voucher prints fine for me on a B&W laser printer and is valid until 31st october so now I have the email I can print it each time I want to buy Colgate Total toothpaste (I use that but not Plax) for the next two months:T.

HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    well saying i am off on holiday this week and next i have not gone mad. gone out with cash and come back with pennies BUT not gone over ..well you can't without a credit / debit cardwith you lol ... 40 min each way walk to tesco/herons/bnm and quality save and all i got was vimto ..
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • xxlouisexx56
    Options
    Another £60 in asda this morning. All top up stuff for next weeks packed lunches etc

Freezer is packed full of meat !
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Aagghh! Went to lidl instead of tesco as I didn't need that much stuff and its closer (i.e. less petrol) but I managed to get side tracked by all of the interesting foods and spend £46.89!!! Have now spent £169.12, leaving me with £288.88 until the end of the month. Not so bad I suppose but I guess I will do a meal plan over the weekend, get my tesco delivery next week and make sure I stick to it!
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Save_Dosh wrote: »
    This joint is now on offer in Mr M for £1.50 per kg

Wonderful - thanks for that. Will buy a couple of joints tomorrow while the dough for the loaf/buns rises.

Best regards,

179/200

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure