Oh no, please let her be ok.

Options

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm really worried she will deteriorate overnight. She is on a drip with antibiotics but no staff are there during the night. I cetainly wont be able to sleep.Has anyone been through this please? I did reaad one kind ( well they are all knd) reply about a survivor.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Artytarty
    Options
    It is no help that my son is a very young vet student, I think it only makes matters worse. He does not know enough to help, only enough to know its bad!
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    Chin up - as others have said, they do these operations a lot and you have to think positively.

Fingers crossed for her; though I'm sure she be back and lapping up the attention at home very soon.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • con1888
    con1888 Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    all the best <3
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is a big op but it's a common one so try not to worry too much x The Vets will want to stablize her tonight and make sure she has plenty of fluids on board for the op tomorrow. As for recovery..... You'll worry far more than she will and then you'll worry all over again when you can't keep her quiet whilst she's supposed to be poorly!!

Fingers and paws crossed for you both xx
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Artytarty
    Options
    Thank you. vet just phoned to say she is being kept well hydrated and should be ok for surgery in teh morning. Will let all know.your Support was much appreciated.
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Please try not to worry - your dog is in the best possible place.

If it's any consolation, my friend's smallish beagle girl was poorly a few weeks ago - went to the vets, they gave her antibiotics as she just seemed 'off colour' and to return if she didn't improve.

She got worse over the next 48 hours so the vet said he would xray to rule anything else out - and there was something huge in her intestines. Turned out to be one of those huge, pointy pinecones - minus the pointy bits! She must have found it somewhere and chewed the bits off and eaten the core.

After the op she was kept in over the weekend, returned home, stitches out a week later and is not 3 weeks post op and absolutely fine.

I'm sure they do it to keep us on our toes.........best wishes to your dog and let us know how it all goes, please?
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Ohhhhh no - so sorry to hear this but don't blame yourself.

Dogs (esp Labs in my experience) are a total nightmare for eating things they shouldn't and it's impossible to watch them every single second.

Fingers crossed for the surgery tomorrow - give her a gently squeeze from me when you see her xx
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This happened to my little westie last year, took him to the vets as he "was not right" so vet took an xray and saw gas in his bowel. They operated that day and the little monkey had only swallowed a piece of decorative bark!!!!

I collected him that evening and he was feeling very sorry for himself but was actually walking ok. Had to take him back to the vets everyday for I think a week and he improved very quickly. He did get a little bit of an infection in his wound but antibiotics soon sorted that out.

Within a fortnight he was really just about back to normal and you would not have known anything had been wrong with him. The worst bit was paying the bill, thank goodness for pet insurance.

Hopes this helps you a little bit Radders
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I was at the vets a month ago and someone brought in a dog that had possibly eaten something. The owner told me that it had eaten three housebricks, a wooden spoon, two footballs, a set of keys and a sink plunger in the first two years of his life.

The dog was 9.

So yes, there are success stories all the time.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family