Argos delayed delivery

Options
HeadAboveWater
HeadAboveWater Posts: 3,941 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
edited 30 July 2012 at 5:05PM in Consumer rights
(Hope this is in the right place...)

My OH and I ordered 2x wooden bunk bed/storage units inc mattress from Argos on 1st July. When ordering we were allowed to choose the delivery date which suited us - 2nd August 7am-12pm. This is also stated in the email which confirmed our order.

I've just received a phonecall from Argos saying the delivery has been delayed and the earliest available is now 25th August! That's over 3 weeks after what it should have been!

I mentioned to the guy on the phone that my OH has booked the day off work, etc etc, and could we get any compensation due to the further delay? He said if we contact Argos after delivery, they should be able to issue a voucher as goodwill gesture, or refund delivery (whoopee - a whole £8.95 :p)

Are they just saying that to keep me happy, or are Argos genuinely going to look after their customers?
And can anyone give me an email address for their customer service to start the ball rolling for a complaint?
Basically my problem is that my OH has the day booked off, the rooms have been cleared out, the 2x kids have arranged to stay elsewhere, handyman has been booked...

Thanks for any help :)
Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out

Comments

• malchish
    malchish Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    I would ask for a compensation, if I were you.
    Have a look at this very site - there is very helpful info re. how to do it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
  • ALTEA
    ALTEA Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Strangely enough I had a similar case the other week with Argos. I don't know what they are playing at. The only thing I can think of is that if they don't have enough orders on the van for your area then they will keep pushing back the delivery until they have a van load in your area obviously to keep costs down.

Basically the day before the order was due to come they left a message to say they were not going to deliver, when I got home I rang them and they said they could deliver the wardrobes but the beds were out of stock so they agreed to deliver the wardrobes next day. Next day comes and no delivery. I rang them up and this time was told that this was because the wardrobes were in stock and not the beds. I demanded to speak to a Manager as I felt that no body in Argos knew what was going on! After speaking to a Manager all items where delivered two days later and I got a 10% gesture of good will. so all sorted in the end.

You need to tell them that you want to speak to a Manager. As they seem to be the only ones who can sort it out.

I was really surprised to learn that some of their call centre staff are working from home, so hardly the centre of professionalism.
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies :) Have had a quick read through but will need to study them again more closely.

The only number I can get for Argos is an 0845 number - fine if you have a landline, not fine if you don't :( Any suggestions? Can't get an alternative on saynoto0870 either...

I nearly need to have a conversation typed out before I ring too. I get tongue tied on the phone and forget what I really want to say. I've no bother with emails. Just being put on the spot :o

I got a reply back to my original complaint, but to me it just seemed like a bog standard apology, without taking into consideration specifics in my complaint - as in our kids have no beds nor storage :mad:
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the thing with this is they told you in advance. They gave you notice that the delivery was going to be delayed.

If they just didn't turn up then you would have more of a complaint, but they have told you in advance.

We see many threads here about people throwing beds out expecting a new one to be delivered - they do this before the new one arrives and then want to complain - but that decision to put themselves in that situation is theirs, delays happen, supply issues occur.

Booking the day off isn't a loss, as you were told in advance and could rearrange.

The Handyman isn't a loss, as you were told in advance and could rearrange.

The clearout of the kids rooms was down to you, as was the relocation of them.

There is a case for Argos on the late delivery, but only on the period of delay, as even then I wouldn't expect they would provide much more than free delivery.

Your position isn't as bad as most - like I say, most threads on this sort of thing refer to a delivery that didn't occur on the day (and the post is made that day) to vent and look for resolution.

You were notified in advance, it may not be what you want to hear, but I really can't see Argos doing that much over this I am afraid...
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    I do agree with you to a point, and others have had it a lot worse, however Argos had 4 weeks of not telling us anything, and left it to 2 days before delivery was due.

We weren't able to change the day off as it needs to be booked 2 weeks in advance for cover to be arranged.

It would be impossible to clear out the girls' room, clean, paint, receive delivery of 2 new bed/storage units, plus build them in the space of one day. No chance.

Joiner can be rearranged but has caused him an inconvenience - he needs to plan ahead too.

Anyway, that's why we planned ahead: to cause as little stress as possible! So much for that idea :(:p
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    Argos customer relations management team (or something to that effect) rang me today. Basically apologised for the delay and offered same explanation as the last guy. Which didn't really explain very much. Said to ring her back after delivery and they'd arrange a goodwill gesture.

I'm happy enough, but I also know that if my OH had answered the phone it would've been a whole different kettle of fish :o
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    :mad:

Delivery was rearranged for this Saturday 25th August.

They just rang to say delivery is being delayed again :mad:

Again, no explanation, just 'sorry' :p

5th September apparently is the earliest date they can deliver now. The words 'cancel the order' are floating round my head at the minute....
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    UPDATE:

Another voicemail with an apology - very helpful. Not :p

Apparently it's the mattresses that are causing the delay.

Ok...

So why not just send us an alternative mattress to fit?!

Doing my head in!!! :mad:
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    Here we go again...

Spoke to a guy from Customer Relations. They apologised again. Same rig-ma-role about the mattresses. And said I could have a look online to find an alternative.

Hang on a second...

Me? ME?? I'm sposed to look online?! I ordered 2x beds including mattresses. It's not my fault Argos can't supply the mattress advertised, and it's certainly not MY responsibility to try to find an alternative!!!!

He said he would go have a look online for me. I said we weren't paying anything more than what we'd already paid. Again, it's Argos's responsibility to supply what is meant to be supplied.

Also, told the guy to ring my OH as he's the one gonna have to book yet another day off work.

Half an hour later, I get an email to say they are 'sorry that the mattress you ordered is no longer is stock' and 'would like to discuss this with your partner; however, I have been unable to contact them via telephone.'

Rang my OH to check. Nope. Not true. No missed calls. Nada.

:mad:

Rant over for another wee while...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills