Butti's Journey: A matter of loaf and death

Options

Comments

• miggy
    miggy Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    Options
    Buttieee!!!

I didn't know you have a diary. (Subscribed).

Glad I'm not the only one who gets stories mixed up and confuses people. ;)
    Miggy

MEMBER OF MIKE'S MOB!
    Every Penny a Prisoner

This article is about coffeehouse bartenders. For lawyers, see Barrister. (Wikipedia)
  • recoverydust
    Options
    subscribed - hoping to learn loads from you
    xx
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    subscribed - hoping to learn loads from you
    xx

Oooooh pressure r.d.
    I hope you're not expecting tips on how to paint garage doors because I may not be up to the task :D

B x
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    Oooooh pressure r.d.
    I hope you're not expecting tips on how to paint garage doors because I may not be up to the task :D

B x

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Butti
    Options
    Ho hum, so people are on here looking for tips and I'm on here looking for tips too!

I know I haven't posted up my budget. I have worked it out on the train journey down to London. I may even get it on to the t'internet by tonight inbetween fireworks and dancing girls. What I need is tips (large dollar bills will do!:D) on how to make my budget work). What do you do to keep on top of your budget?

Now some of you will be thinking I should have got used to working to a budget from my last two years studying/doling/rubbing two beans together but the truth is I've been trying to survive on a budget which has consistantly been more than I have had coming in because despite what MPs and the law says £67/71 is NOT enough to live on. I've just heavily focused on not spending anything at all and hanging around my friends / acquaintances with a hungry look on my face. Oh yes, I'm a joy to have round particularly if you're holding food at the time!

Now I need to adjust to a situation where it IS possible to live on what I have coming in I just need tips on how to organise myself. It's not one of my most natural qualities I confess! :rotfl:

Or maybe there is a section of the site you think I should look at.

Right, off to watch the Marathon, another activity that costs nowt.
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just my ramblings...feel free to ignore:D!

Well if you have a look at the SOA and fill in all the bits you can't control (rent, minimum debt payments etc) that will give you a better starting place. You might want to pay a bit extra for the first month or two on clothes if you need some stuff for work and work out what you think is reasonable for food/entertainment - it all depends what your priorities are? do you feel like a wee period of frivolity is required after being careful for so long or happy to live off as little as possible? Also like you said you have a number of different scenarios depending on tenants etc so lots to think about but on the upside you are much richer than you were before ;)
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• Butti
    Options
    Thanks Spicy. Keep trying to post my budget but this connection doesn't seem to want to let me do it. Everytime I post the budget it loses the connection!!! (Maybe the boat doesn't want me to leave :D)

Will try again at the end of the week. Until then am dividing the expenditure into spend and save and have bought a tiny notepad to keep a tally on my daily spend.

One good thing is I don't feel the need to buy many clothes at all. I saved up all my gift vouchers for clothes and got a £100 voucher from the job centre (well the taxpayer actually - that's you lot:T) so I have got plenty of clothes and am likely to only need shoes. Fortunately I never was much of a Carrie Bradshaw!
    48% off mortgage

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    We always need shoes :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Grand_Benders
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    Ho hum, so people are on here looking for tips and I'm on here looking for tips too!

I know I haven't posted up my budget. I have worked it out on the train journey down to London. I may even get it on to the t'internet by tonight inbetween fireworks and dancing girls. What I need is tips (large dollar bills will do!:D) on how to make my budget work). What do you do to keep on top of your budget?

Hi Butti! :hello:
    I've seen you around all over the place and just spotted your diary name in your signature (cos it's wearing the same colour jacket as mine) ;) so thought I'd come and say hello.

Since you mentioned Steve Jobs, I'll take a punt (no boat-related pun intended... but I'll take my laffs where I can get them) that you might have some kind of iOS device. If that's the case, my biggest tip to help you monitor your spend on your budget would be to log it somewhere. And gues what.... There's an app for that!! :j

Account tracker by Graham Haley is ace. I have it on my iPad and iPhone, and I backup to the cloud (Dropbox) so that I update my spends at night on my iPad, backup and then restore down to my iphone to carry around with me. I log every penny in or out on it, I have my whole budget set up on it and I can see at a glance what's left on any given budget heading at any point in the month, and can drill right down to transactions, or view all my expenditure (or income) in lovely multi-coloured pie charts! My favourites are the ones that are all grey.... they're the 'NO SPEND' days! :rotfl:

Anyway, I've been using this since a few days after my LBM in June, and I've never felt so in control of my finances! :T

Hope this helps.
  • recoverydust
    Options
    The above account tracker is £1.99
    Xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts