IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UK CPS Ltd

Options

Comments

• HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    The Blue Badge issue has been discussed many times before on here but there is no reason why it could not be rehashed.

Blue badges confer no statutory benefits/rights on private land. Period.

However, a landowner is fully within his rights to establish terms and conditions for the use of the land and can, perfectly legally, set aside an area within which blue badge holders may park he he so wishes. He could also set aside an area within which "parents & toddlers" may park, or those with yellow Fords or pink and green striped Trabants. You get the idea. Setting up terms and conditions is something he a landowner has control over.

The Equality Act requires, amongst many other things, (I am paraphrasing and using terms from the forerunner of the Equality Act - Disability Discrimination Act - because the terms are more widely understood) that owners of premises must make reasonable adjustments for those premises to be used by the disabled. Many planning permissions establish specific numbers of parking spaces to be used by disabled drivers.

Now, PPC's (with the Jack Russell of Disabled Motoring UK snapping at their heels) entered the game and found that "misuse" of disabled spaces was a good money-spinner and the lobbying of supermarkets ensued - ostensibly it seemed - on behalf of inconvenienced disabled drivers. Disabled spaces (directed to be put in place by planning permission and "reasonable adjustments" from the DDA/Equality Act perspectives) became "blue badge" spaces.

So, landowners began to conflate their legal obligations with their rights to set terms and conditions but by ruling that in order to use a disabled space you had to have a blue badge they excluded a rake of those who are disabled within the terms of the Equality Act but not entitled to a blue badge - and, believe me, there are many who would genuinely benefit from the use of wider spaces that were closer to doors and on the flat that just those with blue badges.

There has yet to be a showdown but at some point a supermarket will pick on a driver who is disabled (within the terms of the Equality Act) but who does not have a blue badge and has been penalised for using a "blue badge" space and find themselves on the wrong end of a discrimination claim.

We wait with interest.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    cat410 wrote: »
    Just been back to the car park I was issued a ticket. Signage states - warning parking regulations apply. You must display a valid blue badge. Failure to comply will result in a parking charge of £90. Do you still think I should ignore my fine? My badge being displayed, but expired?

Why on earth did you bother to even go back and look? You should just be ignoring this whole thing.

We have all told you that the Blue Badge scheme DOES NOT APPLY on private land.

And yet you read a scammer's signs and believe somehow that the scheme does apply because they say it does? Even though the Equality Act 2010 is the law that counts here?

And after all this advice you are still calling it a 'fine'?! I despair, honestly.

You are not liable to pay and you must not 'appeal' either. This is a private company with an unsolicited invoice, dressed up to impersonate a parking ticket.

Tick off the threatening letters Here.

Watchdog clip with expert Solicitor's opinion here.

Barrister's opinion here.

Please follow and read those links, now, so you know what it's all about and can just play a nice game of snap with the template threatogram letters.

Nothing else will happen, it really is just like a series of phishing emails.

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • mysterio_2
    mysterio_2 Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hmm looks like I spoke too soon.....looked at the ticket details this morning & its still showing as active (£60 owed) goes up to £100 tomorrow so should be fun! :D
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.
    :p
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keep a copy of the email but if Savilles have told them to cancel they should.
  • mysterio_2
    First Post
    Options
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    Keep a copy of the email but if Savilles have told them to cancel they should.

Hopefully they do....if not i'll let the letters start till they run course to a court threat then i'll send the idiots a copy of savilles email! :rotfl:
  • cat410
    cat410 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt go specially to look at parking space signage, I was there anyway. I am grateful for all the advise, but theres no need to have a go at me. Im bound to be nervous of it, just like everyone else. I AM ignoring the notice.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I didnt go specially to look at parking space signage, I was there anyway. I am grateful for all the advise, but theres no need to have a go at me. Im bound to be nervous of it, just like everyone else. I AM ignoring the notice.

I don't think that person meant to offend you, but as regular board members we have seen it all before. After reassuring a newcomer that nothing will happen they still come back for further reassurance, thinking that their case is special, instead of just being yet another example of PPC behaviour. So put it down to a bit of frustration!
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • cat410
    cat410 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, ive listened to all the advise, and Im not commenting further, for fear of being critisized. Thanks for all the advise, I will ignore the letters to come.
  • mysterio_2
    First Post
    edited 27 July 2012 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Hmm no reply from savilles email (they sent a message cancelling the ticket)...ukcps still showing I owe £60 (up to 100 tomorrow) feel like ringing and having a little play...:p:rotfl:;)
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, ive listened to all the advise, and Im not commenting further, for fear of being critisized. Thanks for all the advise, I will ignore the letters to come.

Please don't stop commenting on here, the intention is not to stop anyone posting on the forum at all. Just listen to the advice given, don't feel intimidated by it. And come back for further reassurance if you feel the need for it. Or if you receive anything beyond the sticky threads on here
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure