Glow Worm boiler any good?

Options

Comments

• mimoliver
    Options
    I have had a Glow Worm boiler for about 6 years, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, I'm constantly spending money on it, it brakes down AT LEAST once a year, over these last 6 years I've probably spent £1,300 on repairs. I would never buy one again!!!
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your message is a bit too late! :)

We've had the boiler for 1.5 years now, works perfectly. I doubt I will spend any money as it came with a 5 year warranty anyway...
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WHICH? MAGAZINE recommend Bosch Worcester & Glowworm/Vailant as the top two.
    Nice to save.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2014 at 6:01PM
    Options
    I have 2 points to make, both relevant in different ways, 1stly, my Gloworm Swiftflow 100e is now 17 years old.
    It has had 1 glitch when near new, a printed circuit board fault, fixed at no cost. That is the positive stance, and the honest truth. I will however replace it next year, or as soon as the 1st fault occurs.

I also think I got embroiled in something to do with Nissan cars as an aside to this topic?? Strange, bought a new Qasqui 4 months ago, what a F.Up decision, can't wait to get rid

The point is, whichvoted the qwakcarti car of the year resonantly, so much for which in my opinion of course
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2014 at 12:30AM
    Options
    It's not always the fault of the boiler when they break down.

I had a Glow Worm fitted September 2012 and it ceased giving hot water somewhere we think in August 2013 and started giving lukewarm while firing up several times a minute. I didn't spot a problem for weeks due to having thermostats on all my appliances and the shower, and it only came to light when I decided to have a lovely hot bath after !!!!!!ing up my back exercising, only to end up jumping into a bath of lukewarm water.

I asked the Glow Worm approved fitter to come back in September (I think) to troubleshoot, and also to service the boiler as it had been a year. He suggested fitting a scale reducer and magna-clean, but nothing he did made any difference. Between then and the end of November we had him come back twice more to trouble shoot and try different things as per Glow Worm requirements. As we had appliances with thermostats having lukewarm water wasn't the end of the world as long as we didn't want a bath, which most of the time we never bothered with anyway. In the end he said he couldn't go any further in case he invalidated the warranty.

The fitter called in Glow Worm. Engineer came out a few days later, spotted it was the heat exchanger straight away, ordered the part, a few days later he returned and since then lovely toasty hot water.

No hassle with Glow Worm customer service at all. Nice people, got the job done swiftly and made sure everything was sorted just in time for Christmas.

I'm only speculating, but I believe the problem was down to the fitter not fitting the scale reducer in the first place - we live in a very hard water area, and the manual specifically says to do so. I suspect that's why he suggested fitting it to ensure his back was covered when he eventually called Glow Worm. Our previous 15 year old boiler, a Vailant, had two heat exchangers over the 7 years we were here, which was down to limescale deposits, although no-one ever suggested to us to fit a scale reducer. We didn't even know such a thing existed.

It cost us for the scale reducer and magna clean, but it would have done anyway if we'd had them done when the boiler was fitted, and the replacement part and repair labour was done under warranty and cost us nothing.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    mimoliver wrote: »
    I have had a Glow Worm boiler for about 6 years, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, I'm constantly spending money on it, it brakes down AT LEAST once a year, over these last 6 years I've probably spent £1,300 on repairs. I would never buy one again!!!

guys please don't feed the above troll
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    Why would they be a troll?

Because it's their first post? Plenty of lurkers here that are only moved to post for the first time when they are angry about something.

Or are you calling them a troll because they have a negative viewpoint of Glow Worm? If they agreed with your viewpoint about Glow Worm being good, would you be telling everyone to ignore their positive comments because they were a troll?

They have a viewpoint based on their experience which is different to yours. Doesn't make them a troll. It makes their experience and viewpoint different that's all.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2014 at 2:11PM
    Options
    guys please don't feed the above troll

I apologuise for that, and for repeating myself, hadn't got the cryptic clue that it was old hat.:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

BUT, I agree, the reason almost all posters arrive here is to seek help, not decry a manufacturer. For some its a sport it seems. If I have it wrong then another apology may have to be forthcoming.:A:A:A
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    It's nothing to do with you Cy, the poster I quoted knows exactly what I mean
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • askelvis
    Options
    Hi there. I have been offered a glow worm combi betacom2. I have been told that their now part of the valiant group. I have seen mixed reviews . I need help

Stephen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport