Glow Worm boiler any good?

Options
Hi,

We are having our old Potterton boiler replaced this summer, and the first quote we've got is for a Glow Worm. We picked the fitter from checkatrade as we didn't know anyone (just moved to the area last year), but we've never heard about this make before.. is it good? We don't mind spending a bit more on another brand.

The model the fitter suggested is
Glow Worm 18 HX High Efficiency Condensing Boiler

Many thanks!

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    While I cannot comment on the choise of boiler I can tell you that from the mid 1960 through towards the end of the 1980 I worked in the builder merchants trade and over those years we sold many Glow Worm boilers without anyone {either customers or fitters} complaining or stating that there was any problem with them. I now I am going back a long time but if the past record I remember is anything to go by I do not think you will have any problem with the boilers

London50
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Don't fit a Glow Worm.

Look at the Worcester Ri series.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Glow worm is at the budget end of the boiler world, so it depends on the quote you are getting and if you can up the budget.
    If you find you are being quoted quite high then you should expect a more recognised boiler for the money.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i agree with london with regard to the old days glowworm were right up there with the old ultimate however that is no longer the case these days they are mid range (most of the BG badged boilers are glowworm), worcester are good boilers but are a pain in the a*s to work on which will refect in the cost of repairs (although their spare parts are quite a good price for a high end boiler), my recommendation is below.

http://www.remehaheating.co.uk/home/heat-only-boilers
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • ganetplanet
    Options
    Looking to replace my 20+ year old combi. I can easily see that Worcester Bosch are the Olympic winners on nearly every site I've gone to BUT, what about Vallient v Glow-Worm - I've been told they're 'identical' apart from outer casing and made at same factory with same components [but with a difference of between £200-£300 ! ] - anyone out there that can clear this dilemma up for me ?
    Thanks

• MrRemus
    MrRemus Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Our Glowworm back boiler was put in in the early 80s and still going strong, although since we moved in 8 years ago we have religously annually serviced.

No idea what the new ones are like but I was deperate to get a woodburner put in but as the flipping boiler refused to die, I couldn't justify ripping it out! ;)
  • travelnet
    Options
    Looking to replace my 20+ year old combi. I can easily see that Worcester Bosch are the Olympic winners on nearly every site I've gone to BUT, what about Vallient v Glow-Worm - I've been told they're 'identical' apart from outer casing and made at same factory with same components [but with a difference of between £200-£300 ! ] - anyone out there that can clear this dilemma up for me ?
    Thanks
    check your messages
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    I have a connection at Glow worm.

I must have obtained at least 10 over say the last 7 or 8 years for friends and family at prices way below the best the fitter could do.

Not a single issue with any.

My own boiler came direct from Belper as above, it's a (goes to check) Swiftflow 100e, and has been faultless for the last 15 years min.

Not saying anything other than that is MY experience, but then agan I'm not a plumber.;), they see many more.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • amazingfive
    Options
    I have a connection at Glow worm.

I must have obtained at least 10 over say the last 7 or 8 years for friends and family at prices way below the best the fitter could do.

Not a single issue with any.

My own boiler came direct from Belper as above, it's a (goes to check) Swiftflow 100e, and has been faultless for the last 15 years min.

Not saying anything other than that is MY experience, but then agan I'm not a plumber.;), they see many more.

We got a glowworm boiler installed 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems!! Awful CS too. We have been having the same problem (hot water stops working if there is a power cut) since it has been installed and they keep 'fixing' it and then every time there is another power cut it happens again. We are now outside of our 2 year warranty (just!) and it has just happened again. We are in dispute over as we thing they should come and fix it as it as been a problem since the beginning and obviously their engineers have only been patching the problem up instead of fixing it!!
  • mqandy
    mqandy Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    A rebadged glow-worm boiler was in our 9 year old flat when we bought it.

To start it (ie. get hot water, turn the heating on, etc) you had to stand next to it hitting 'reset' about a dozen times before it fired.

The flat next door had the same model of the same age. Whenever it ignited our walls literally shake with the force of the explosion...!

So no idea if they are any good now, but 9 years ago they were certainly not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure