🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to ask for optional service charge 12.5% to be taken off?

Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please bear in mind that a service charge goes to the business not the waiter, and so is not a tip. So my response to the situation the OP describes is always: I prefer to tip in cash. That way, my tip legally belongs to the person who served me, rather than being an extra payment for the food that I have just paid for once.

The amount of the tip is of course a separate issue, and let's not get into that discussion now.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least we don't live in the US where as standard its around 20%

And in the US most states don't have a minimum wage (and where they do it is very low), and the cost of the meal in a restaurant reflects this.

Before the minimum wage applied in the UK I could see some point in tipping. But now? Why should someone tip a minimum wage worker in one industry who has done a good job, but not someone in another industry.

And even in the same industry it is not consistent. Why tip a waiter who serves you in a restaurant, but not the person behind the burger counter? Why tip a taxi driver and not the train driver?

I understand why some restaurants apply a service charge to larger parties, because a large party will never leave the same proportionate tip as a couple or small group. A couple who had a £30 meal may leave £3, but would a group of 20 leave a £30 tip?

But as for service charges being applied to all customers, it is quite simply a con by the restaurant to allow them to show the prices on the menu 10-15% cheaper than they really are.
  • Jew
    Jew Posts: 276 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2012 at 12:10PM
    Options
    I completely agree with you man.
    Altarf wrote: »
    I understand why some restaurants apply a service charge to larger parties, because a large party will never leave the same proportionate tip as a couple or small group. A couple who had a £30 meal may leave £3, but would a group of 20 leave a £30 tip?

Actually, from experience, when I'm in a group, we always over-tip and leave too much money — simply because everyone puts a little more than they owe.

Plus, the restaurant just made money from 20 people in one night and booking... I think they got their profits.

Plus, what if some people in the group don't want to pay the service charge, or think 15% is too much? After all, different people have different budgets.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just say "Can you take the service charge off please?" and smile. I agree that it is a bit awkward sometimes but I don't like being forced to tip like this so am prepared to bear the possible awkwardness.

If they ask if there was anything wrong, then I say if there is and if not then just give a straightforward answer, "No there was nothing wrong with the service but I don't like percentage service charges like this".
  • Jew
    Options
    cte1111 wrote: »
    I just say "Can you take the service charge off please?" and smile. I agree that it is a bit awkward sometimes but I don't like being forced to tip like this so am prepared to bear the possible awkwardness.

If they ask if there was anything wrong, then I say if there is and if not then just give a straightforward answer, "No there was nothing wrong with the service but I don't like percentage service charges like this".

Cool thanks!

When they confront you, do you leave a smaller tip in cash afterwards?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When they confront you, do you leave a smaller tip in cash afterwards?

I went somewhere recently. There were 8 of us. The food was ok or better but the service was just awful. At the end we resolved to pay the food bill but not the service charge. They were a touch aggressive to begin with and were "going to get the manager" but never did. I think you are in a stronger position if there is a confrontation and you are paying cash.
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely the easiest way round is to pay in cash instead? :)
  • Jew
    Options
    starrybee wrote: »
    Surely the easiest way round is to pay in cash instead? :)

I don't always carry cash around.

Also, it's more risky — because they can just bring you the wrong amount of change (i.e. including the service charge)
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jew wrote: »
    I don't always carry cash around.

Also, it's more risky — because they can just bring you the wrong amount of change (i.e. including the service charge)

So go to a cashpoint..

Although if you're going to a be a stickler for change I guess there's no point. I always put down whatever I want to leave and walk out.
  • Jew
    Options
    starrybee wrote: »
    Although if you're going to a be a stickler for change I guess there's no point. I always put down whatever I want to leave and walk out.

Good plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family