PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

NBM Conveyancing Solicitors

Options

Comments

• Dollysmum
    Options
    Oh how I wish I had seen this thread before appointing NBM for my RTB purchase. Easily one of my worst decisions. Seeing 2 friends complete selling and purchasing - one with a very complex chain - in the time it has taken me to complete on a house I live in has been crushing. 3 months in and no end yet in sight.
  • Not_a_happy_man
    Options
    We are using this firm and are so unhappy. They have taken 6 months and still we have not exchanged contracts. And now lost our buyer. Has anyone complained? If so what was their response and has anyone taken it further to the Law Society? We complained to NBM and very unsatisfied with their response.
  • Geedeeks
    Options
    DO NOT USE! I applied for my right to buy purchase in September, instructing nbm to represent me at the same time. My rtb only completed last Monday....8 months later! I am still waiting for them to send my additional borrowing, which is in dispute as they told me they sent it by cheque on Friday. Today having still not received this cheque, I called them back today to be told it would be in my account tomorrow with a £78 reduction to the original bill from last. When questioned they couldn't give a clear answer. I have had nothing but problems from the beginning to the end with nbm. They have even cost me unnecessary money as I hired a mortgage advisor, gave them instruction to liaise with him and signed a form for them to pay him on completion. They did not/would not speak to him so I had to contact them directly myself and they have not paid him his fee. The experience with this solicitor has been more than stressful overall and I would STRONGLY ADVISE NOT TO USE. The admin staff don't know what they are talking about but the solicitors don't talk to you. I spoke to my solicitor once in the whole 8 month process - ONCE! Even though I rang Atleast once a week to speak to him he never directly returned my calls. Pay the extra and find a firm with a high ethical, professional stance. NBM does not have this!!!!!
  • ShanT
    ShanT Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    My friend is currently using them... and as with other reviews they are cowboy solicitors. I have just had an offer on my property and I got a quote from them CHEAP YES... My friends summing up is you "Pay with peanuts, you get monkey's" I am so Glad I saw her the day before I made my decision.... I will pay more for a decent solicitor!!! Hopefully she gets to move to her seaside home soon....
  • Aklesh
    Options
    Never Trust this company. It is from my experience with this company. This company is big liar. They will waste your money, time and no one care about your cases. I have very bad experience with NBM company. Please do not go with this company. I want to complain about this company.
  • Tony_Davison
    Options
    We chose NBM, Nigel Broadhead Mynard, principally because they were middle of the road pricing without any apparent adverse feedback - I obviously didn’t look in the right places for the feed back! As with anybody in the conveyancing ‘game’ you have to be very careful with the ‘add ons’ which can be considerable and in the case of NBM completely contradictory to that which we were told by their sales team who didn’t mention the ‘Expedition Fee’. A certain Mr Dickens had it right, and very relevant to today, in his opinion of the legal ‘profession’!
    One big catch with NBM is this ‘Expedition Fee’ in which, if you want to complete in less than 2 weeks, you’re hit with a £120 charge, even if the process has been going on for several weeks - if you’re lucky. In our case it was probably 12 weeks and counting. Incidentally we had nowhere to sell and no outstanding mortgage. Now maybe they’re all at it - the ‘EF’ I simply don’t know.
    We enquired and were assured by Greg Short of NBM that this charge would not be applied as the process of exchange had already been started, which we have confirmed in an email, yet lo and behold when the final bill arrived there it was, the ‘Expedition Fee’. I had made it quite clear that we did not want to rush completion if this opportunistic fee was going to be applied. It made no difference and it would seem that NBM were determined to charge in any case. I just wonder, as a percentage, how many of NBM’s clients are intentionally subjected to this. On top of this we were also charged for an electronic transfer (£36.00 + VAT) even though we were paid by cheque.
    Emails to the contact,Greg were met with, as if you couldn’t guess, absolutely nothing in return.
    If you’re considering dealing with NBM (do weigh your choice up very seriously) I suggest you insist that as part of the contract that no ’Expedition Fee’ or variant thereof in any shape or form will be charged. It might not do you any good in the light of our experience but at least you can warn others with your feed back should you have an experience similar to ours.
    In their favour they do have an online updating service but the ‘Expedition Fee’ will hit you without warning, be careful.
    Would I use them again? What do you think!!!
    The big question is, is there an honest conveyancing solicitor out there? I do wonder - certainly in the ‘bucket shop’ practitioners who apparently will use every trick in the book to inflate your bill.
    A pity one Richard Webster is retired - his advice seem s very sound.
  • Tony_Davison
    Options
    :(We chose NBM, Nigel Broadhead Mynard, principally because they were middle of the road pricing without any apparent adverse feedback - I obviously didn’t look in the right places for the feed back! As with anybody in the conveyancing ‘game’ you have to be very careful with the ‘add ons’ which can be considerable and in the case of NBM completely contradictory to that which we were told by their sales team who didn’t mention the ‘Expedition Fee’. A certain Mr Dickens had it right, and very relevant to today, in his opinion of the legal ‘profession’!
    One big catch with NBM is this ‘Expedition Fee’ in which, if you want to complete in less than 2 weeks, you’re hit with a £120 charge, even if the process has been going on for several weeks - if you’re lucky. In our case it was probably 12 weeks and counting. Incidentally we had nowhere to sell and no outstanding mortgage. Now maybe they’re all at it - the ‘EF’ I simply don’t know.
    We enquired and were assured by Greg Short of NBM that this charge would not be applied as the process of exchange had already been started, which we have confirmed in an email, yet lo and behold when the final bill arrived there it was, the ‘Expedition Fee’. I had made it quite clear that we did not want to rush completion if this opportunistic fee was going to be applied. It made no difference and it would seem that NBM were determined to charge in any case. I just wonder, as a percentage, how many of NBM’s clients are intentionally subjected to this. On top of this we were also charged for an electronic transfer (£36.00 + VAT) even though we were paid by cheque.
    Emails to the contact,Greg were met with, as if you couldn’t guess, absolutely nothing in return.
    If you’re considering dealing with NBM (do weigh your choice up very seriously) I suggest you insist that as part of the contract that no ’Expedition Fee’ or variant thereof in any shape or form will be charged. It might not do you any good in the light of our experience but at least you can warn others with your feed back should you have an experience similar to ours.
    In their favour they do have an online updating service but the ‘Expedition Fee’ will hit you without warning, be careful.
    Would I use them again? What do you think!!!
    The big question is, is there an honest conveyancing solicitor out there? I do wonder - certainly in the ‘bucket shop’ practitioners who apparently will use every trick in the book to inflate your bill.
    A pity one Richard Webster is retired - his advice seems very sound.
  • Tony_Davison
    Options
    We enquired and were assured by Greg Short of NBM that this charge would not be applied as the process of exchange had already been started, which we have confirmed in an email, yet lo and behold when the final bill arrived there it was, the ‘Expedition Fee’. I had made it quite clear that we did not want to rush completion if this opportunistic fee was going to be applied. It made no difference and it would seem that NBM were determined to charge in any case. I just wonder, as a percentage, how many of NBM’s clients are intentionally subjected to this.
  • Tony_Davison
    Options
    Don't. In a word. Watch out for their 'Expedition Fee'. We were charged the fee even when explicitly told we wouldn't be.
    Our queries in respect of this went unanswered.
    You'll end up paying almost the same as your local solicitor and without the aggravation.
    You will be assured by their 'Sales Team' that the charge will be the total charge, at least we were.
    Are they on commission and did they previously sell double glazing?
    How many of their clients are subject to the 'Expedition Fee' - Id love to know the percentage!!!
  • emmacoplen
    Options
    We asked them to carry out a simple lease extension and due to also being the landlord, no one to chase. A price was agreed and our ID was sent in for things to progress. This was confirmed on the 20th October. They still have not carried out any work, fail to answer emails and calls. We are now at risk of losing the mortgage offer and worse could be in a position to loose the property we have owned for 14 years and an investment for our son. No customer service and really could not trust them. :( This will be my first post of many over media websites and forums they are a disgrace!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport