PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    Snow here this morning! Looks like a couple of inches. Thankfully it's quite warm so I think it's going to thaw. The Grandchildren will love it though! :)
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • tina_malteser
    Options
    Morning All still a fair amount of snow here, ive been checking on rail and road probs and glad to say things are so far so good,:T fingers crossed i won't get any delays going to glasgow,:j, so glad i got my cosy tights yesterday as they will certainly be getting used today:)
    Stay safe and well x
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, And Today is a Gift, That's Why it's Called The Present
    20p jar £1.20:j Mr M saver stamps £7.00 Mr Ice stamps £3.00
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Morning all! Raining again down here in the deep South, but much milder than the last few days. Need to get out to the garage & quantify the food stocks in there; I have a feeling I need to update the oat supply!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all :D
    Been a busy beaver today and while I was baking I had to top up loads of my kitchen cannisters,my understairs cupboard has the larger quantities in lock'n'locks so I'm now happily covered in flour,sugar and porridge crumbs lol
    Its given me a chance to do a little stocktake too and I need to order some more vegemite,I get a dozen at a time from Amazon usually as its never really on offer anywhere.

After freezing my wotsits off yesterday weather is really mild here today..but still pertiddling down I am heartily sick of wet...
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2012 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Funny isn't it I love Marmite now but have switched to Tesco's brand which saves money but it tastes ok to me...Vegimite, I have seen it and thought about trying it but have never have, perhaps I should.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • countingthepennies
    Options
    Just to take this thread off down another track a moment - and apologies if this has already been asked (I did do a search but couldnt find it) - but if we lose power over the winter, would it be ok to cook on a disposable BBQ in the house, maybe beside an open window? That probably sounds like a really stupid question, please dont shout at me :-)
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Disposable BBQ no! A camping stove? perhaps especially if there is lots of ventilation such as windows open and/or access via a door to say an outdoor area. I bought a small camping stoe for emergencies and then was given advice/warnings on here...but for a quick simple meal or heating up say water for a hot drink or perhaps beans on toast I'm sure it would be ok...

Perfectly good question and worth asking CTP. Someone else will probably have a better idea on this and be along soon.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    CTP:- I think Popperwell is right. It's a whole carbon monoxide poisoning thing I think. Better be safe than sorry. :)
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately we are still under a weather warning for the rest of the week. It's so changeable I can see why they say its dangerous...besides the gale force wind gusts and torrential rain we seem to be getting storms that start unexpectedly. I woke up at 4 this morning and thought we were having an earth tremor (usual at this time of year) and I realised it was the gusty wind making the roof and floors creak..once I realised that I went back to sleep again, then overlaid because it was so flaming dark!

Had a couple of hours of dry calm weather before it started again so set off for the bank and the post office...what a mistake that was, as everyone did the same thing and the road traffic was horrendous. Now safely home and it's gusting and raining again. One thing is certain, we will never get a water shortage at this rate. We did manage to get a nice lunch out while the weather was okay though, it was a very nice treat for us both and at least we got out of the house for a while.

My OH went up the loft and thank goodness the leak has stopped now the wind has changed direction to North west. That means it is blowing over the snow on the mountains and it doesn't bother going round you it goes straight through and chills you to the bone.

Time for my thermals to make an appearance again I think. While my OH was up the loft I got him to pass me the Christmas decorations so they are going up to cheer it up a bit. It's gloomy with the shutters locked shut but its better than them getting blown off in this wind. I can hear deep rumbling but don't know if its the wind or the thunder at the moment! No plans to go out again today and no real rush to go out tomorrow either.

Saw this earlier, interesting article it seems the authorities are doing their best to prevent people from getting into a panic about 21st December. As they point out though, some places are at risk for fuel and food shortages anyway so its best to stock up with supplies.

http://www.december212012.com/articles/news/Russia_attempts_to_quell_end-of-the-world_panic.htm

Oopps just had a glitch with our electric and the tv went off completely, time for me to go and unplug everything. I spoke to two friends here yesterday who had both lost their computers completely with the lightning and I don't want it to happen to any of our electricals. Later folks, stay warm , dry and safe! xxxx
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Just to take this thread off down another track a moment - and apologies if this has already been asked (I did do a search but couldnt find it) - but if we lose power over the winter, would it be ok to cook on a disposable BBQ in the house, maybe beside an open window? That probably sounds like a really stupid question, please dont shout at me :-)

Theres no such thing as a stupid question :D
    Sorry, no its not advisable to use one indoors they have to be used somewhere very well ventilated.
    Don't be tempted to use one in a gazebo or such either unless open sided as a poor mite lost her life again this year using one in a tent.

I have used my cobb in the greenhouse with the doors and windows wide open but it was extremely windy so very well ventilated.

Best to err on the safe side always :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport