PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2012 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Popperwell wrote: »
    Funny isn't it I love Marmite now but have switched to Tesco's brand which saves money but it tastes ok to me...Vegimite, I have seen it and thought about trying it but have never have, perhaps I should.

i personally found the taste of marmite different than vegamite and prefer marmite. the cheaper brands of marmite (ie yeast extract) are usually ok though

could be just me but maybe not according to this article

http://britishfood.about.com/od/diningdrinkingtradition/a/marmitevvegemite.htm

must be the extra stuff they add to vegemite that i dislike, and probably the explanation why store brands of yeast extract are ok with me as they don't add extras

btw if you're flagging in winter as i often do a little marmite in the morning gives you a lovely boost of b vitamins for an energy boost :T
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to take this thread off down another track a moment - and apologies if this has already been asked (I did do a search but couldnt find it) - but if we lose power over the winter, would it be ok to cook on a disposable BBQ in the house, maybe beside an open window? That probably sounds like a really stupid question, please dont shout at me :-)
    I treated myself to a constant low dose of carbon monoxide simply by leaving the ash pan from my stove to cool on the hearth before removing it outside. I didn't want to waste the heat! When I finally got round to buying a carbon monoxide detector, I couldn't understand the occasional peak level memory reading. As an experiment I left the ash pan in the porch with the detector. The alarm went off after an hour or so.
    If an ash pan can do that - think what a BBQ can do.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry pops forgot to answer (parents are here) yes as Confuzzled says Vegemite is a different taste.
    I have to buy marmite for DS3,vegemite for DS1 and DS2 has tescos own yeast extract :rotfl:
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    I have never fancied Marmite or Vegiemite, but I did not realise it was full of Vit B. I have an odd mal-absorbtion of Vit B so I try up eat more to compensate. IYKWIM I'll pick some up and try it.
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    If it is too strong the Tesco's version might be better? And I have found that you don't need much. I often have it on toast or added to a sandwich. Sometimes it adds to the overal taste other times you can hide the taste if that is preferable.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My BIL comitted suicide very quickly using disposable barbecues in a very small unventilated space. He had drunk a bottle of vodka but his blood levels showed him fit to drive it had worked so quickly :(

Never EVER take a chance with carbon-monoxide
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Just to take this thread off down another track a moment - and apologies if this has already been asked (I did do a search but couldnt find it) - but if we lose power over the winter, would it be ok to cook on a disposable BBQ in the house, maybe beside an open window? That probably sounds like a really stupid question, please dont shout at me :-)

Please don't :eek: it is lethal! Charcoal gives off carbon monoxide and a lot of people have died when camping, by using them in tents or pods.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning preppers - in work early again today and it's turned into silly season here so I might continue being quiet for a few days yet but I do try to skim and keep up where I can - please all keep safe and well and prepared

we had a c0stc0 trip at the weekend and got a few supplies in - I dont think we'll be buying tea bags or sugar again before the next mayan calendar comes to an end *rolls eyes*
    Blah
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to add about carbon monoxide - I'm pretty sure my health problems stem from 'the ash pan period'. Apparently sustained and frequent low level exposure (albeit not enough to trigger the alarm) can have long term ill effects. It's not just about killing you.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    meme30 wrote: »
    I have never fancied Marmite or Vegiemite, but I did not realise it was full of Vit B. I have an odd mal-absorbtion of Vit B so I try up eat more to compensate. IYKWIM I'll pick some up and try it.

if you can't stomach it on toast try it in soups, i went veggie for about 3 months and during that time i tried marmite on a lot of things because to me it tasted like meat. i found it to be excellent in soups and later when i started eating meat again i started adding it to spag bog so i could use less meat and more red lentils etc etc

marmite is an excellent little emergency food, it packs sooo much power in such a dense little package, and as mentioned before you really don't need to use much at a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure