PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi butterfly brain ... He used some sort of fireproof panelling that we are only allowed to paint over using a water based paint nothing else, the outside of it we could plaster but not the recess for the very reason that you experienced
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A 'gorilla bar' GQ?

Is that like a Cafe Bar, and do they serve toast? :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    A 'gorilla bar' GQ?

Is that like a Cafe Bar, and do they serve toast? :D
    :D If only! I would love someone to bring me toast and tea on my allotment.

Nah, it was a brand of pry-bar loaned to me by one of the lottie neighbours who took pity on me levering the darned pallets apart with a claw-hammer.

I had a notion to make compost bins but they turned out to be too weathered and spongy, as had been on the lottie a few years before I took it on. Reckon I should have saved my energy and burned then intact, as I ended up burning them later in pieces.

Ach well, lesson learned.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not quite sure, if you got the joke there GQ.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure, if you got the joke there GQ.
    :p Almost certainly didn't. I'm pretty knackered and about to go off to bed. Yeah, I know it's before 9 pm but we ME-ers have to bow to the inevitable, sometimes.

Laters, GQ xx

P.S. You can meet gorillas in bars in Provincial City any night of the week. Be particulary wary of the ones in footie colours as Our Team (lazy incompentants that they are) are always losing and the footie-loving gorillas are often in a foul temper. Or maudlin drunk and sobbing into their banana daiquiris, as they do. Not a pretty sight........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my knee was playing up sunday and monday....like someone had placed a red hot ball bearing in middle of my knee....finally cleared up for work, after strategic use of ibu profen...naproxen and aspirin....niggling now but you darent have time off work.... in case were privatised and have to reapply...dont need bad sickness record....bit of a malaise recently ....owe my prep cupboard 2 tins of stewed steak... on at 7am tomorrow.... keep on prepping
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning, I don't usually get involved in 'politics' as I think we're all individuals with our own mindsdet on things political but I do so wish that instead of taking swings at each other, ALL the political parties would actually TRY to work together and fix this poor ailing economy of ours. It really doesn't matter to me WHO broke it in the first place, that's history and cannot be changed in any way, so the fault is immaterial, what we really NEED from all of them is the means to fix it!!! I don't think they, any of them have the reality of life at street level in 2014, not even those zealots in the Labour Party who are currently shouting loudest, none of them look hungry or unkempt do they? what would be a very interesting social experiment would be if any voted MP were to only be allowed the amount and living circumstances of the person in the country who is recieving the lowest wage/benefits and be made to live like that as a contractual obligation for the job they do. What better incentive to fix and improve the system could they actually have?
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hear hear! Mrs Lurcherwalker for President!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the offer Nargleblast, but I'd much rather be the Nanny in the Nanny State, with the ability to discipline MPs when they transgress against the general public, or maybe I could be the Tea Lady?
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning, I don't usually get involved in 'politics' as I think we're all individuals with our own mindsdet on things political but I do so wish that instead of taking swings at each other, ALL the political parties would actually TRY to work together and fix this poor ailing economy of ours. It really doesn't matter to me WHO broke it in the first place, that's history and cannot be changed in any way, so the fault is immaterial, what we really NEED from all of them is the means to fix it!!! I don't think they, any of them have the reality of life at street level in 2014, not even those zealots in the Labour Party who are currently shouting loudest, none of them look hungry or unkempt do they? what would be a very interesting social experiment would be if any voted MP were to only be allowed the amount and living circumstances of the person in the country who is recieving the lowest wage/benefits and be made to live like that as a contractual obligation for the job they do. What better incentive to fix and improve the system could they actually have?

After voting themselves an 11% pay increase this year we should try a few other things as well. Link their pay to the minimum wage. So if they want the minimum wage to stagnate then that will also happen to their own wage.

A life ban on working in the industry that you were minister of. So that would end ministers and senior civil servants from the Ministry of Defence leaving for lucrative private sector jobs, who are only really hiring them for the access and contacts that they have within the government and ministry anyway.

Why not ban MP's from private health insurance so that they get plenty of experience of what they are doing to the NHS. Do the same for schools. Unless their own children are going to state they cannot be MP's or vote on any service that they are unwilling to use themselves. It would be interesting to see how a party that sends its kids to private schools would be able to muster enough support to push through controversial reforms.

Also make every MP live on the equivalent of benefits for one month every year to see how they cope. Failure to complete will mean a bye election.

Though to really reform politics you need to reform the funding so they need the masses to support them financially. At the moment they can get by with one or two multimillionaires and effectively ignore the wishes of the rest of us, as long as they can get enough of us to vote against our best interests. Have a maximum donation cap of £500 a year and any donation that cannot be traced to a registered UK voter has to be handed to victim support. Make this apply to union members as well as shareholders so it is completely fair.

There are many ways that could improve how they vote and make them more willing to defend our public services.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure