PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone, thanks for the messages asking if we are safe and well. We are both fine, fortunately when the trouble kicked off we were in the UK getting our visas sorted out. When we arrived back we saw the demonstration about the tv station in town but the taxi driver just carried on driving past the crowds.

Just to bring my news up to date, we were given the choice of getting the visas done in Athens or London. Given that the flights to Athens were more expensive than to London we chose the one with least time to wait for the visa. Athens wanted three weeks to process them and London wanted just one day! The staff at the Embassy were very organised and polite and it was done with the minimum of fuss. We spent a total of five days in the Uk and got all our business completed so were able to spend two days in Brighton enjoying ourselves. Have now got most of the packing done and I gave all my food stores, clothes and bedding to families who needed them. It was a great feeling!

We fly to Thailand next Friday! I am really looking forward to it as we have realised how much stress we have been under trying to make ends meet here in Greece. We have no chance of selling the house so we have secured it and are keeping it as a holiday home. We can't rent as they then make you start a business and you are subjected to yet more taxes, more than the rent someone would pay.

I hate to say this but I think the writing is on the wall for Greece. The closure of the tv station is just the latest dirty trick. Pensioners were not paid for this month and have been told to re register in the hope they may get a pension in the future. Meanwhile they have no money to live on this month and none for medicines they need. The people who are currently working in tourism and building will not receive unemployment this winter even if they pay contributions all summer. None of it makes sense and I think the government are clutching at straws. There is no sign of the money they keep borrowing and the health service and other things are in dire straits.
    We are leaving before it is too late for us to leave. I honestly don't see how this country, or the people, are going to survive this winter. I do hope to keep up with this thread when I move to Thailand. Just as a matter of interest on the SHTF theme....the area I am moving to is on a monsoon flood alert LOL. After the waterlogged winter here in Corfu I have just suffered I feel well able to cope with it! Love to all, thank you for your concern xxxxx
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Great to "see" you, 2tonsils, and I am glad that you and OH are both OK.

It's so grim for the Greek people but you have helped some of your neighbours by gifting them your belongings and good on you for doing so.

It's truly scary to see what a failed state looks like and it will not end well, I am sure of that. Take care of yourselves and please do keep posting from Thailand if you have the time. I love reading your posts.

GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HI 2T glad all is OK with you both, exciting times in more than one sense eh? Hope that your move is smooth and problemless and wish you both a wonderful new life in Thailand. Keep in touch if you can, we''d love to know how you get on, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • spanishlivinginUK
    Options
    Thank you MrsLurcherwalker for the recipe.
    There two elder trees right behind my house with flowers about to bloom, one is infested with black fly like things but the other one is completely clear, the clear one is huge! So I think I'll be making a couple of batches!
    How long does it keep for? Few weeks??
    Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For mardatha

Scots-Tablet-010-300x225.jpg

Got no sweeties but made some of this today

MG

I'd sell my soul for that!

Tablet... never works for me. I've spooned it up semi-set and eaten it.

My son tells me I should just eat the condensed milk straight from the can and save the energy .
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options

My son tells me I should just eat the condensed milk straight from the can and save the energy .

When I was a serious backpacker, my emergency kit used to contain a tube of condensed milk. I'd have to replace it before every trip (never opened until I was back home) I was buying it so regularly that I was offered a deal on a case - I didn't dare take advantage of the better price ;)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I use MG's recipe and it seems to work. http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/12/a-sugary-treat/#more-997 (actually, it has been pointed out that it's her mum's recipe, so I guess I should give her the credit... :cool:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning all SPANISH the champagne will keep for about 3 months according to all I've heard, but I found a couple of missed bottles at the beginning of this summer and although I didn't drink them when I opened them tpo dispose of them they were still as bubbly as at the beginning of thier lives, and still smelled fine. I think they get a bit more alcoholic as time goes on as they continue to ferment in the bottle. My normal problem is keeping them for 3 months as the champagne is so nice!!! Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I use MG's recipe and it seems to work. http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/12/a-sugary-treat/#more-997 (actually, it has been pointed out that it's her mum's recipe, so I guess I should give her the credit... :cool:)

Oh yes - its Mums recipe ........................ you should read her comment about the Bobby who came up to speak to me at the local Highland Games HERE

Would never claim it as my recipe - would be out of the will.

The recipe is a follow along with the pictures one - so loads of people have had success with it - don't give up!!! One last try maybe?

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    Well the elderflowers are out at last and we have a big batch of cordial on the go, might try some champagne after that. The salad veg are coming on nicely and will help us out through the summer. If things got bad we could dig up the lawn and plant tatties but for now it's about building up and maintaining skills, and passing them on to the next generation.
    2tonsils wrote: »
    I hate to say this but I think the writing is on the wall for Greece. The closure of the tv station is just the latest dirty trick. Pensioners were not paid for this month and have been told to re register in the hope they may get a pension in the future. Meanwhile they have no money to live on this month and none for medicines they need. The people who are currently working in tourism and building will not receive unemployment this winter even if they pay contributions all summer. None of it makes sense and I think the government are clutching at straws. There is no sign of the money they keep borrowing and the health service and other things are in dire straits.
    It makes you think, how vulnerable modern economies really are. The mechanism of the Eurozone gave the Greeks cheap credit so they could buy imported cars and technology from the Germans, and from us I daresay, but with an intrinsic economy based on agriculture, olive oil and tourism it was never going to be sustainable. At least the eurozone means that Greeks can leave and I'm already coming across more Greeks working here that you saw a few years ago. That's going to put more pressure on the jobs market here so wages are going to remain static or fall further (the main reason we haven't seen massive unemployment in the recession is that employers have cut hours and wages rather than jobs). That in turn reduces tax returns (from income tax, VAT and fuel tax) as people reduce expenditure so the state will have to cut costs - it's all likely to get very messy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure