PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Where's a man with a big knife when you need one? ;)

I'm 6'2" and own a Tanto. ;)
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Am half way through reading The Road and oh my!!! Bleak is not the word, I'm slightly traumatized. Not entirely sure what has happened but not sure I want to know. However it seems so bleak that I find it unbelievable, which is perhaps not a bad thing. You couldn't prep for that!!!

Re growing veggies etc, Things are extremely behind here. Most of my toms, cukes,, chillies and courgettes are little more than seedlings still. Beans are only just sprouting and peas are around 6 inches!!! The only thing coming on is chard and rhubarb. I do have loads of strawberry flowers, so hopefully will get plenty of fruit (eventually :D) also currants and tree fruit are looking well laden too.
    Trees on the park are still half bare. I do hope things catch up...
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DD has "Les Mis" playing in the living room and while I like the music - the whole thing is the most downbeat and harrowing experience :(

The only positive thing is I know I will never ever watch it again, reading the book was bad enough. Trying to block it out by having laptop on and browsing on here but the pathos is relentless and inescapable. I don't think the film will ever end :eek:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 June 2013 at 10:04PM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I've got the bottom shelf of the fridge filled with bread flour Mrs L. Re crayfish - there is no way in hell I'm going to eat anything with antennae :eek::eek::eek:
    :p So the satellite dishes and ariels are safe, then?
    pineapple wrote: »
    I'm not sure about facing the zombie hordes. Was pulling a blanket off the top of the wardrobe when a spider fell on my head. I did a little dance and screamed like a big girl - which come to think of it...
    Where's a man with a big knife when you need one? ;)
    Note to self: Must toughen up! :D
    :) Errmm, a few days ago, I reached for my gardening gauntlets in the lottie shed, which haven't been used for a while.

Humungous s p i d e r inside. Shrieked like a banshee, never mind a gurl.........:rotfl:There's always something going on.

Funnily enough, I don't mind the brown soil-dwelling spiders, and carefully let them escape from the area of soil I'm turning over. Saw one last night carrying an egg-sack the size of a pea. So funny, it was nearly the same size as her body, bless her.

Being doing boring financial stuff all evening, tedious but necessary. Took about 3 hours pulling stuff about, urghh.

I think what isn't in the media, or is there but barely covered, is instructive. Lots of flim-flam about silly people with silicone t*ts and too much time on their hands (and that's just the fellers) as if they need to throw more and more outrageous stuff at us to distract from what is really going on. And it's disgraceful that there's so little coverage of the European floods. People have died and homes and livlihoods are being ruined.

Glad you're safe, Austin Allegro, and may you continue to be dry-shod.

Mrs LW, an excellent philosophical point. Will the last person on the planet please place the bookmark neatly and shelve the book tidily. The cats will be cwoss if you don't.

I love cats but they're devious little barstewards a lot of the time, eyes always on the main chance. I suspect they're just allowing us to live as a species because it's a darned sight easier than evolving opposable thumbs and working for their keep. Come the alien invasion, they'll sell us out like a shot, cookware and all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Anyone else read The World Without Us? It's a fascinating book premised on the idea that people just disappeared. No war, no plague, no zombies, but Pfftt! just gone.

And about what would happen to our makings and doings through forces of nature over time. Fascinating. If you're pressed for time, I shall summarise; we will be survived into the distant future by our stainless steel cookware and feral cats.

The World Without Us was fantastic... Ah, cats:D Keep 'em 'appy and they may bring you the odd present of a rat or 2. Which could be handy.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    DD has "Les Mis" playing in the living room and while I like the music - the whole thing is the most downbeat and harrowing experience :(

The only positive thing is I know I will never ever watch it again, reading the book was bad enough. Trying to block it out by having laptop on and browsing on here but the pathos is relentless and inescapable. I don't think the film will ever end :eek:

I hear you, sista. it is the most droningly agonising thing. THe rousing songs are great but the need to sing everything gets to me

"will you pass the brussels sprouts"
    "yes we'll pass the brussels sprouts"
    "brussels sprouts"
    "brussels sprouts"
    "we'll pass the brussels sprouts"
    "and then we'll die for no apparent reason"

Weeeeellll maybe not quite but it seems like that to me

:rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But....... I like BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!!!!!! Oh gosh, does that mean I've become a pariah?????
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    *is not speaking to Mrs L anymore as she is obviously a pariah* :silenced::silenced:

..or possibly a piranha
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    *is not speaking to Mrs L anymore as she is obviously a pariah* :silenced::silenced:

..or possibly a piranha
    :DMar, gotta go to work now but sending you virtual hugs and virtual sherbet lemons to sustain you thru the day.

Be BAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2013 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Day off for me - its been really busy at work, so much poverty around now and so many proud folks - really humbling the work I do most days.
    Seems like summer is gone - can I have it back please???? I'm guessing it's cos I purchased some summer shoes - silly WCS - and of course with the damper cooler weather our midgies have returned with a vengeance. I tell you, if any critter wants to take over the world the midgies would win hands down!!!!
    Going to have a busy day cleaning today - we're looking like a bomb site just now - then a bit of baking since it's cooler - we find it brings back everyone's appetite.

I've been in thoughtful mood of late, taking stock of my life, that sort off thing. I know acceptance will come, and most days it's here, but sometimes I would really like my *old* life back!!!

edited to add: GQ gonnae send some of they sherbert lemons over here???

WCS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport