PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »

BTW. If anyone can identify it (and before anyone says it, yes I know it's a water bottle and mug :p ), I'd be grateful.

If memory serves its a pattern 58 waterbottle, mug and cover. So called because it was part of the '58 webbing, introduced (surprisingly) in 1958 and phased out sometime in the 80s. Good find, its an excellent bit of kit.
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't even have to buy it.

Found it in a cardboard box, in the pantry.

I don't recall buying it, so it may have been bought by my father, many years ago.

24qlroh.jpg

BTW. If anyone can identify it (and before anyone says it, yes I know it's a water bottle and mug :p ), I'd be grateful.

Army issue to attach to webbing. The bottles are plastic now. Very useful as you can just heat the water in the cup.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • The_Dragon
    The_Dragon Posts: 9,749 Forumite
    Options
    If I am right that is a post war mini mess tin kit for use on manoeuvres :D
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    VJ'smum saw this and thought of you
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/camping-hacks-that-are-borderline-genius

so many great ideas on there!

Some of these are great - the tic tac pots for spices would be great in my caravan. The coffee pods look like they might be worth a shot too.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 June 2013 at 9:12AM
    Options
    nuatha wrote: »
    If memory serves its a pattern 58 water bottle, mug and cover.

I can't find any information, to indicate the 58 pattern bottles were ever made from aluminium.

Also, the capacities are wrong (58 pattern is 1L bottle and .5L cup, whereas mine's 1.2L and .7L), and the cup fits on the bottom, whereas on the 58, it fits on the top

According to someone on another forum, it's USGI kit, but Googling "USGI water bottle" doesn't give me an image which exactly matches either.

If it helps, there are some stampings on it.

The bottom of the bottle has a small crown stamped into it, with 19FML62 stamped under it.

The cup has the same crown, with what appears to be 19M1.5L (it's a bit shallow and hard to read) stamped on one side of the handle bracket, and 79871 on the other side.

The pouch has no identifying marks.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/messkits/Field_Mess_Gear(upd_Jul09).pdf

Here's some stuff about US gear Bob that'll keep you busy for a while it's a bit long..

Nice looking kit would the numbers be 1962 issue and fml the manufacturer or something possibly?
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    I can't find any information, to indicate the 58 pattern bottles were ever made from aluminium.

Also, the capacities are wrong (58 pattern is 1L bottle and .5L cup, whereas mine's 1.2L and .7L), and the cup fits on the bottom, whereas on the 58, it fits on the top

According to someone on another forum, it's USGI kit, but Googling "USGI water bottle" doesn't give me an image which exactly matches either.

If it helps, there are some stampings on it.

The bottom of the bottle has a small crown stamped into it, with 19FML62 stamped under it.

The cup has the same crown, with what appears to be 19M1.5L (it's a bit shallow and hard to read) stamped on one side of the handle bracket, and 79871 on the other side.

The pouch has no identifying marks.

Couldn't sleep so been wandering the web.
    Turns out that pattern 44 water bottles were still in use with 58 webbing in various regiments up until the '80s. I'd presumed that the government in its wisdom had decided to downgrade from metal to plastic during the life of '58 webbing. (presumably as a costcutting exercise)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    D&#8517 wrote: »
    would the numbers be 1962 issue and fml the manufacturer or something possibly?

Could well be.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My water bottle and cup isn't 58 pattern, or USGI.

It's Danish.

Post Korea to be exact.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370782812744
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 June 2013 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Bob a bedsit with a pantry???:rotfl:
    Very cool find - my first though was not what the origins of it were, but what else is in the back of the pantry!!

Beautiful weather here - been pottering in the garden most of the weekend. We have a huge perennial weed issue here, and having tried loads of ways of getting rid i'm now going to try plan z - newspapers between plants and kept wet. I don't want permanent weed suppressant material between the plants as you never know where the raspberries etc will pop up, so I usually use the sheeting once the plants are through and then remove it in the autumn. My thinking is that I can leave it to rot over the winter, and then do the same again once the plants have sprouted next year. Shall weigh down with compost.

between gardening, a little baking, bbq'ing and some stitching its been the perfect weekend.

WCS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport