We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Preparedness for when

1…10751076107810801081…4145

Comments

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 June 2013 at 4:00PM
    Whilst out shopping at the market, I picked up a few more items for my BOB.

    Firstly, some 15ml travel tubes of toothpaste (normal size is 75ml :eek: ), at £1 for 6 tubes.

    Next, some shaving sticks (which are much lighter and much more compact than a can of shaving foam/gel), at £1 for 6.

    Just need to get a shaving brush to go with it.

    I also got some Antiseptic/Disinfectant, which I've put in 2x 85ml "travel bottles".

    One contains it neat, the other diluted.
  • Now I just have to let the OH know I have got a solution to our pond-diving dog... :cool:

    Wouldn't a house brick, tied to its collar, be a cheaper and more permanent solution? :p
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Please don't advocate using stoves indoors.
  • On the subject of food to take to a festival, there's always "5 minute simmer" packet soups.

    4 packets for £1 at Asda.

    I have 8 packets (of 2 varieties) in my BOB.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Back packers would definitely need to take this into consideration, and it's making me re-think taking everything we usually do, being as said car is now 14 years old.
    As a backpacker I could comfortably survive highland winter with 60lbs of gear, yet I would fill the car with just in case kit, even worse business trips abroad would have a full suitcase and hand carry. I eventually woke up and could do a week overseas with hand carry only, far fewer delays and far less to carry.
    Its worth making a note of everything you didn't use after a trip, and unless its emergency gear, don't take it next trip. Surprising how much weight and bulk you can save.
    fuddle wrote: »
    Please don't advocate using stoves indoors.

    I first came across those flat style stoves being used in restaurants for table side service flambe dishes.
    I agree you need very good ventilation, but the same applies to using a gas hob.
    Where I completely agree with you is not to use any stove inside a tent.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    :) Afternoon all.

    Seems to be warmer oop north than dahn sarf today, which isn't really an acceptable state of affairs, IMO.

    Howsomever, I took a donation bag to the chazzer just now and came back with a couple of preptastic bits, large pillar candle and a small LED keyring torch, with which I am well-pleased. And change from two pund, as well.

    If anyone wants to look into doign ultra-light backpacking, the grandaddy of them all is Ray Jardine, if you want to look at his site/ books. You can have an amusing interweb sesh by googling ultralight backpacking.

    Actually, I wouldn't touch google with tongs but duck duck go-ing doesn't really work as a verb, does it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • I'd second that, camping stoves are designed to be used when camping, and not in an enclosed space indoors. Even with ventilation there is a degree of risk so much better to stay safe and only use them in the great outdoors, well the garden then!!!

    I wouldn't suggest tying a housebrick to a lurcher, the little perisher would just come and jump up at you and cause untold damage thinking it was the best game ever......believe me a lurcher jumping on you with or without a housebrick is painful cos they're only made of pointy bits anyway.....and if you tried to throw a lurcher in a pond it would only throw the brick at you and then come and jump on you anyway,AND MAKE YOU WET TOO,don't do it,for your own sake, please!!!!!!!!!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Gorgeous roasting hot sunshine here.... :cool::rotfl:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    mardatha wrote: »
    Gorgeous roasting hot sunshine here.... :cool::rotfl:
    :p Heh! It's 17.5 degrees according to this site;

    http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxindex.php

    That isn't roasting...............but it is hotter than Provincial City by several degrees atm - bah!

    Pressure's dropping, that's not a good omen, is it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 June 2013 at 8:09PM
    I think you could fit everything you need, for a week's festival (except the tent) into a 30 litre daysack.

    You just need to be ruthless, in selecting the things you NEED to take, rather than the things you WANT to take.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.