PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 June 2013 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Whilst out shopping at the market, I picked up a few more items for my BOB.

Firstly, some 15ml travel tubes of toothpaste (normal size is 75ml :eek: ), at £1 for 6 tubes.

Next, some shaving sticks (which are much lighter and much more compact than a can of shaving foam/gel), at £1 for 6.

Just need to get a shaving brush to go with it.

I also got some Antiseptic/Disinfectant, which I've put in 2x 85ml "travel bottles".

One contains it neat, the other diluted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Now I just have to let the OH know I have got a solution to our pond-diving dog... :cool:

Wouldn't a house brick, tied to its collar, be a cheaper and more permanent solution? :p
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't advocate using stoves indoors.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On the subject of food to take to a festival, there's always "5 minute simmer" packet soups.

4 packets for £1 at Asda.

I have 8 packets (of 2 varieties) in my BOB.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Back packers would definitely need to take this into consideration, and it's making me re-think taking everything we usually do, being as said car is now 14 years old.
    As a backpacker I could comfortably survive highland winter with 60lbs of gear, yet I would fill the car with just in case kit, even worse business trips abroad would have a full suitcase and hand carry. I eventually woke up and could do a week overseas with hand carry only, far fewer delays and far less to carry.
    Its worth making a note of everything you didn't use after a trip, and unless its emergency gear, don't take it next trip. Surprising how much weight and bulk you can save.
    fuddle wrote: »
    Please don't advocate using stoves indoors.

I first came across those flat style stoves being used in restaurants for table side service flambe dishes.
    I agree you need very good ventilation, but the same applies to using a gas hob.
    Where I completely agree with you is not to use any stove inside a tent.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Afternoon all.

Seems to be warmer oop north than dahn sarf today, which isn't really an acceptable state of affairs, IMO.

Howsomever, I took a donation bag to the chazzer just now and came back with a couple of preptastic bits, large pillar candle and a small LED keyring torch, with which I am well-pleased. And change from two pund, as well.

If anyone wants to look into doign ultra-light backpacking, the grandaddy of them all is Ray Jardine, if you want to look at his site/ books. You can have an amusing interweb sesh by googling ultralight backpacking.

Actually, I wouldn't touch google with tongs but duck duck go-ing doesn't really work as a verb, does it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd second that, camping stoves are designed to be used when camping, and not in an enclosed space indoors. Even with ventilation there is a degree of risk so much better to stay safe and only use them in the great outdoors, well the garden then!!!

I wouldn't suggest tying a housebrick to a lurcher, the little perisher would just come and jump up at you and cause untold damage thinking it was the best game ever......believe me a lurcher jumping on you with or without a housebrick is painful cos they're only made of pointy bits anyway.....and if you tried to throw a lurcher in a pond it would only throw the brick at you and then come and jump on you anyway,AND MAKE YOU WET TOO,don't do it,for your own sake, please!!!!!!!!!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Gorgeous roasting hot sunshine here.... :cool::rotfl:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Gorgeous roasting hot sunshine here.... :cool::rotfl:
    :p Heh! It's 17.5 degrees according to this site;

http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxindex.php

That isn't roasting...............but it is hotter than Provincial City by several degrees atm - bah!

Pressure's dropping, that's not a good omen, is it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 June 2013 at 8:09PM
    Options
    I think you could fit everything you need, for a week's festival (except the tent) into a 30 litre daysack.

You just need to be ruthless, in selecting the things you NEED to take, rather than the things you WANT to take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport