PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 June 2013 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Just tried out my Mercury Packpack Stove.

With the flame set to just before it begins to flare, it brought 0.5 Litres of cold tap water to a rolling boil, in 4 minutes 15 seconds. :cool:

It even outperformed my Outdoor Essentials square stove, by 45 seconds.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Judging by the state of the sky, I thing we may soon be in for a downpour round here.
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    We have used the camping stove indoors when we didn't have a cooker. I wouldn't advocate using it all the time.

When I used it the back door was wide open and so were the windows. The stove itself was by the back door so if anything happened it could be removed easily.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :D
    It's a good job I have low blood pressure..I really shouldn't listen to LBC, everytime I do I end up ranting at the radio :o

Well the pineapple didn't make it into the stores again,it's just too damn munchy!

Ginny finally lol dehydrating potatoes!

I did new potatoes partboiled them for approx 5 mins then sliced and dried.

Mashed I baked jackets for approx 10 mins after zapping in the microwave for 8 mins,mashed (without butter and milk) and spread onto leather trays then blitzed.

Rosti/shreds I parboiled for 10 mins then grated on a hand grater and spread onto trays.These are great for hashbrowns or if you dry them in patty shapes they stack well for storage in boxes too.

They do discolour a bit still but whiten up again when cooked.

Doing red pepper and butternut leather today hope it lasts longer than the pineapple :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH Red Pepper and Butternut Leather, droolie woolie droolie!!!!!!!! I wants sum!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just managed a really good quality pic, of one of my Spirit Stoves.

They're usually hard to photograph well, due to them being shiny, but I think this pic finally does it justice.

3149kjm.jpg
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    VJ'smum saw this and thought of you
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/camping-hacks-that-are-borderline-genius

so many great ideas on there!

I just found our first potato :j:j Red duke of york in the potato towers from Lakeland planted in the greenhouse 4th march then put out side around a month later.

They are flowering now so we plan to leave them in another 2 weeks as it was around the size of a quails egg so far.

I'm hoping thats a good sign as it was at the top of the barrel and they get larger and more of them usually the further down you go!

Leather is out and being munched *passes MrsL a taster* very nice it is too and Mum sweet talked the barrow bloke in the high street today as he had cherries half price @ £2 a lb..he's going to save me a whole box like he did last year when they come in cheap in a couple of weeks :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ta very much , Yum,yum,yum....... that one's a success then!!!
  • Pink_Thrift
    Pink_Thrift Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Morning all :D
    It's a good job I have low blood pressure..I really shouldn't listen to LBC, everytime I do I end up ranting at the radio :o

Well the pineapple didn't make it into the stores again,it's just too damn munchy!

Ginny finally lol dehydrating potatoes!

I did new potatoes partboiled them for approx 5 mins then sliced and dried.

Mashed I baked jackets for approx 10 mins after zapping in the microwave for 8 mins,mashed (without butter and milk) and spread onto leather trays then blitzed.

Rosti/shreds I parboiled for 10 mins then grated on a hand grater and spread onto trays.These are great for hashbrowns or if you dry them in patty shapes they stack well for storage in boxes too.

They do discolour a bit still but whiten up again when cooked.

Doing red pepper and butternut leather today hope it lasts longer than the pineapple :D

Thank you for the instructions. I dehydrated Charlottes last year (par boiled and sliced) and they worked wonderfully in slow cooker meals. I hadn't even thought of doing them as mash or shreds :T I've planted a lot of potatoes so I'd like to extend the season by dehydrating some.

We have some Red Duke of York potatoes in the garden and they are just starting to show flower buds. We put them in much later than you so it will be a while before we can dig them up. We've never tried this variety before.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Didn't even have to buy it.

Found it in a cardboard box, in the pantry.

I don't recall buying it, so it may have been bought by my father, many years ago.

24qlroh.jpg

BTW. If anyone can identify it (and before anyone says it, yes I know it's a water bottle and mug :p ), I'd be grateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure