PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 June 2013 at 5:51PM
    Options
    Lulu would be a huge advantage when the SHTF as a deterrent - some set of lungs :rotfl:

They both (singularly or together) would be a huge advantage, because they'd be able to keep me "occupied" ;) , during the long, dark nights.

True, I would be too knackered each morning, to do any kind of work, but what the hell, if I've got to go, I can't think of a more enjoyable way to spend my last few days.
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    They both (singularly or together) would be a huge advantage, because they'd be able to keep me "occupied" ;) , during the long, dark nights.

True, I would be too knackered each morning, to do any kind of work, but what the hell, if I've got to go, I can't think of a more enjoyable way to spend my last few days.

Bragging or complaining Bob????:)
    Be a shame for you if the SHTF in summer eh?
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    It'll charge a couple of batteries alright, provided you don't mind waiting a few month, for the charging to complete. :p

Heh I'll be finding out soon but you may well be right :rotfl::rotfl:

It is a Tanto.

Provided I don't brandish it, I'll be fine.

In a real SHTF situation, I expect the boys in blue will have far more important things to worry about, than what a middle aged man, carrying a rucksack, has strapped to his waist, under his jacket.

Even if they did take an interest, I think having a rucksack full of "camping equipment", and hiking into the countryside, would qualify as "lawful authority or good reason" for possessing it.

The problem I have with that, is that "good reason" is at the discretion of the official who checks (in the first intance, anyway). A tanto doesn't look like a bit of camping kit - it looks like a weapon (probably because it is). In a total breakdown of society that wouldn't matter, but moving into that scenario there would be an intermediate stage where TPTB try to maintain order. You would be better off with something that looks like a hunting or camping knife, even if it is functionally pretty much the same. Just my personal view, you understand :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 June 2013 at 8:31PM
    Options
    You would be better off with something that looks like a hunting or camping knife, even if it is functionally pretty much the same.

Something like this perhaps?
    Knife_Cold_Steel_SRK_38CK.jpg
    I've never understood the preoccupation of TPBT, with what something LOOKS like :huh:

Let's be honest, the best knife for cutting someone, is one designed for cutting meat, which, when you come right down to it, is what a human being is made of.

It's interesting that, the knife advertised as "The sharpest knife you will ever own" isn't a "Combat Knife", but a Filleting Knife, sold to anglers.
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    Something like this perhaps?

Knife_Cold_Steel_SRK_38CK.jpg

Yes, although I would probably spend a bit more on the San Mai III version if you're intending it to be your main survival/bushcrafting knife.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    busy day... finished an 8...3.... shopping on the way home....went to see dad ... got home and cleaned front room while tea was cooking..... on a late tomorrow so can at least have a lie in , next annual leave must declutter the flat so can put extra food in less obvious places... and working for council must admit annual leave is generous
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Sheesh, Bob, that's some pantry. When I wanted a pattern 58 water bottle and a crusader cup, I had to hie me up to the army surplus store.

Fascincating place. You get some interesting characters coming in for bullets..............I'm noting faces and first names, in case SHTF and I need to take evasive action.:rotfl:

Been hanging out on the lottie all weekend, sometimes with coomp-nee, sometimes solo. Killed lotsa snails and thought murderous thoughts about a beast with dog-like paw prints (couldn't get a clear track) who'd dug a good six inches into the ground where some of my runner beans were planted.

As in the past tense, alas. I'm soaking some more for a re-planting sesh. It's enough to make you spit, eh?

On the subject of knives, the biggest baddest ones in my place are in the kitchen and were pressies from friends and family. Dunno what it says of my character that in RL people think.....Hmm, what shall we get her for Xmas? I know! A stonking big Sabat*er knife!

Both of them are bigger and nastier than my bushcraft knife, although it's far more practical for woodsy-type tasks than either a chef's knife or a filleting knife.

If you wanted to do someone harm, you wouldn't need a knife; any number of legitimate household items could be used in extremis. Think of the mayhem possible from knitting needles or chopsticks, f'rinstance.

I once owned a bokun, a wooden sword made for practising japanese swordsmanship. We used to get warned to be very careful about carrying them to and fro class as the Polis had been known to take an interest.

:o I am not a natural with a samurai sword. The beggars don't have guards which means you need to be really really good before you graduate from wooden blades to steel. In one class I "lost" both my thumbs due to a fey manoever...........:rotfl:

Never mind. I still retain the knowing of some very painful locks and throws. Hopefully one won't need to deploy them in earnest.

Hokay, time for a cuppa and I suppose I should wash the dishes, the maid has unaccountablly left my employ, something to do with lack of wages, I believe.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    On the subject of knives, the biggest baddest ones in my place are in the kitchen and were pressies from friends and family.

Exactly my point.

"Combat Knives" pail into insignificance, beside some "Kitchen Knives".
    Think of the mayhem possible from knitting needles or chopsticks, f'rinstance.

To say nothing of the mayhem you could cause with a chainsaw, which you can buy, no questions asked, at B&Q.
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 June 2013 at 9:34PM
    Options
    With respect though, if you walked around with a kitchen knife in your hand or a chainsaw unless kitted up for wood cutting tptb would be asking you what your plans were.

For me, I find it really interesting reading about preps from those who feel that a time is likely when fleeing with the minimum of possessions will be necessary. Not saying you're wrong or right but not something I like to contemplate. Prepping here is for more likely events - bad weather, natural disaster, financial collapse (both personal and potentially UK wide), personal illness. It's really difficult to get ahead though!

My personal nemesis at the minute is the Scottish climate - spring seems to be getting later and later, and first frosts earlier and earlier - the window of opportunity for growing food is smaller and smaller. This, coupled with the lack of light when the weather is dreary into late spring is really challenging. My crops just seem to get a good foothold and autumn arrives!

Well,back to work tomorrow, so not much progress till later in the week.

WCS
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 June 2013 at 9:47PM
    Options
    :) We live in an irrational world.

Ever seen pix of what gets confiscated at airport security? Do they really think confiscating ladies' manicure sets is helping anyone but the businesses who will be supplying and selling the replacements? Yet they let you on with shoelaces. Or even bootlaces. I've flown several times wearing hiking boots and thy have huge laces.

Bootlaces......long and strong.........garottes, anyone?

I bought a new small SAK the other week and the cashier had to tannoy to someone to confirm that I wasn't underage. Lawdy lawdy, I'd just lurve to be able to pass as an < 25 when I'm nearer 50. I guess us greying matronly women could be going around armed to the teeth and no one would ever think to check us.:p

I once (accidentally) took a metal nail file thru Heathrow's scanners with no questions asked but Auckland International's ones are so touchy that they picked up the foil on my tablet strip. You have a stopover at Changi in Shanghai and you can wander the whole of airside with no questions asked, but do the same at LAX and you have to be retina-scanned and fingerprinted, cooped up in a tiny lounge and treated like potential crims.

Tell ya, if I ever scrape together the price of another NZ adventure, I shan't be going via the USSA..........

WCS, I think the concept of bugging out is of more relevence to some of us than others, depending on geography and other factors. My understanding is that you live in a remote place with limited access via road, with adult sons in residence. Your set of circumstances are very different to mine, in the middle of a southern English city, in a tiny flat in a neighbourhood which is notorious across the region with the Polis. If I look out my window I can see temp accomodation being used by persons recently released from prison. There are several hostels and agencies used by druggies and drunkards within a 3 minute walk.

30 meters away from my flat, there is the spot where a man was set upon by three others and left with a fractured skull and several broken limbs. No one has ever been charged, never mind convicted. I walk to work every day over a spot where a man was murdered. We were all woken about dawn the other summer by the screams of a rape victim out on the balconies.

It's not at all uncommon to be woken at Shoebox Towers by screams in the night, doors being battered in and all sorts of jolly japes which mean that I'm on familiar terms with Police Control. Tell them your postcode and they don't faddle around; they send several units each time because they know if a Shoeboxer bothers to phone, it must be really bad.

What I'm trying to convey is that business-as-usual in my neighbourhood is pretty precarious, so it's not a far stretch of the imagination to think that it would get very bad, very quickly, if SHTF and the police were overwhelmed.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills