24 Hour cafe in Leeds?

Options
Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum but I wasn't sure where else it'd go.

Does anyone know if there's a 24 hour cafe in or around Leeds?

My mental health is bad at the moment - I'm under the care of the intensive/acute team and going to the hospital every day. The problem though is how to deal with the nights. I'm laying awake thinking, going over and over things. I think (and the hospital agree) that it'd be good for me to have somewhere I can go. To leave the house and get a cup of tea and read a book, or write, or anything really. But I can't think of anywhere! On a weekend some of the Macdonalds' are open late, but not during the week.

If I have to I guess I can drive out to a motorway services, but I'd prefer somewhere a bit closer and busier.

The worst time is between two and four or five am.
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Comments

• recoverydust
    recoverydust Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    I have disturbed nights too and rather than go out to places where I may be vulnerable I stay online. I am not sure how safe a 24 hour cafe might be for someone in mental health crisis.
    Does Leeds have a crisis house, or crisis line you could ring?
    There are plenty of places to chat, here, Facebook, specific mental health forums.
    Hope you find your safe space xx
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

I have a fear of using the phone, well it's pretty much a full blown phobia now. So the crisis line/samaritans isn't really much help. The only crisis house is on a weekend and shuts at 2am, but you have to phone first.

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine in a cafe - it's what I do during the day. If I could find a trucker cafe that'd be great, with less chance of drunken idiots (which is what puts me off the town centre Macdonalds on a weekend). I definitely think it'd be better than staying at home.

To be honest, coming on here in the middle of the night when I'm upset and worrying wouldn't really help, or at least it hasn't done so far. I just need to get out and away from all the bad thoughts and feelings. I don't want to go into details here of why I'm in crisis, but the reasons are linked to problems with being in the house - when I'm here I'm just constantly reminded of it.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2012 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Is there a university library that's open 24/7?

ETA

What about mooching around Tesco?
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ames

Do you cook at home, or aren't you well enough?

Just wondered if you could go to the 24 hour supermarkets and do some old style cooking from scratch eg find the best offer goods you can and plan that day's meals from it.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Ames
    Options
    No, they shut at midnight, earlier out of term time. Good idea though!
  • Ames
    Options
    I'm not well enough to cook, for lots of reasons. And like I said, being in the flat just reminds me of all the problems. Another good idea though!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does the hospital have a 24hr cafeteria?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a friend or relative who'd be happy to let you have a key to their house, so you could drive over and sit and read in their house while they stayed in bed?
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    Train station has 24 hour parking and staffing from the website but I can't tell about a cafe.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • recoverydust
    recoverydust Posts: 525 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2012 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Sorry that you feel so uncomfortable in your home. How far are you from a service station? Some of those have trucker cafe parts and they all have regular coffee bars.
    The all night supermarket thing sounds like a good idea if you can cope with that. If only they had their cafes open in the early hours they would do roaring trade I am sure.
    Can you drive to a safe/nice place with a flask, cd and book and maybe watch the sun come up, or is it other people you need around you at these times?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure