PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Options

Comments

• prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I've sorted it to what preparedathome originally suggested.

Pink

Oh gosh Pink I wasn't complaining about the name honestly am sorry if came across as I did, am very, happy with the name, sorry really am I seemed to be criticize. What I meant when I said almost was I could not take full credit for the name as fuddle had contributed part of it.

Hugs, Love and healing to all xxxx
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Laptops are so unforgiving, lost a post that was almost complete, will post it later...thanks for the thumbs up about the fish...

I can't believe it. I did something I haven't in years possibly decades...:p

Some boiled eggs with toast...:rotfl:

But I forget how long you have to cook them for to be soft so they were slightly over done but I'll have them again and next time reduce the time I cook them. Perhaps as they were smaller than the one's I used to buy that affects how long they take. I must remember to buy at least one egg cup and perhaps a timer.

There can't be much else that I need now.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreenFairy wrote: »
    L1dl have cold frames a few times a year and aren't horribly expensive IIRC. I made the mistake of buying a plastic popup greenhouse thingie - the plastic photodegrades really quickly. Half of mine is stuck together with l1dl all weather tape :) Going to invest in a cold frame when it finally dies.

Am being superfrugal at the moment, using up all my bits of balls of sock wool and turning them into a huge blanket. Last winter was really mild but I live in fear of another severe one like we had the year before. Plus more blankets = less heating. Really wish we had an open fire in this house.

Don't forget to bubblewrap the windows - even hubby agrees last winter house was the warmest yet with the bubble wrap on the windows and we have double glazing( mentioned on the preparing for winter thread) this winter I will be lining all my curtains with fleeces ( bought 12 from Mr T in their sale last week ( Click and collect first time I have used the service) so they cost me around £30 ( £2.47 each 130cm x 150cm) but must say decent fleeces not to thin at all, , all finished off at edges and managed to get four each of three different colours so curtains will have same colour for lining, I would have happily had all different colours on the same curtain at that price.

So each curtain is lined so fleece making an extra layer, anything to keep house warm but bills down - we did put on jacket fleeces and have other fleece blankets plus one real snuggle slankett ( cs bargain brand new for £5) which is a very, very thick fleece and very soft and one cheapo version but you can only wrap up so much and still be able to move but never needed to put heating up past 18c all winter, ok I know it was fairly mild. Only room I am not bothering with is study as it has lined velvet curtains in there and I never put heat on as boiler lives in there and its where I now store all my food so don't want it to warm.

Just had my second bird caught in fruit cage - had a female black bird in there other week, this time it was a coal tit, opened up the side and left it, took it an hour before it found the opening. Not sure how they are getting in will have to go round the base and see if netting come out from underneath or torn.......snag is even though its hot and dry out there the soil is just like a bog - when you step on it you sink up to your ankles so don't really want to get down on hands and knees to check until it dries out a bit. Wellies have to be worn at all times out there as there is no grass except at edges for dogs to eat so soil just turns to mud, fruit cage has slide down a bit, whole back is on a steep slope, so parts of some of fruit bushes are now sticking out of netting so need to basically take it down and put it up again....at least the bushes have not slid down, was worried they would but must have rooted enough thankfully.

Still not got out, to be honest the thought of the crowded shops is not appealing, am having a sensory overload day when all I can really bare is total quiet, not even listen to an audiobook but cannot let granddaughter down so delaying going till last minute so cannot be there to long as they close at 5.30pm

Hugs, Love and Healing to all xxxx
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2012 at 3:40PM
    Options
    egg and soldiers :D 5 mins in boiling water then a quick dunk in cold to stop them cooking any more in their hot little selves, so my grandma told me anyway. Some mam's recoil in horror that I give my children runny egg yolks.. but, but they're so nice and it never did me any harm.

DD aged 7 has had her first sewing machine lesson. She's done a little rice bag too ?ui=2&ik=18b58a32a0&view=att&th=13861c989a3bb356&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw I was a bit scared letting her do it as I was worried she was too young but she was really good. I said "wow, that looks great, well done" and she said it was because she had a good teacher. I was very proud. That was a teary mammy moment.

Only thing is DD aged 3 wants a turn. Don't know what to do other than do it with her on my knee and let her have her hands on mine.

Aw pah don't worry. I like the new shorter title. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fuddle could you do 3 sides and then help her do the last short one after filling with the rice? - damage limitation exercise, Lyn x.
  • Popperwell
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    egg and soldiers :D5 mins in boiling water then a quick dunk in cold to stop them cooking any more in their hot little selves, so my grandma told me anyway. Some mam's recoil in horror that I give my children runny egg yolks.. but, but they're so nice and it never did me any harm.

DD aged 7 has had her first sewing machine lesson. She's done a little rice bag too ?ui=2&ik=18b58a32a0&view=att&th=13861c989a3bb356&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw I was a bit scared letting her do it as I was worried she was too young but she was really good. I said "wow, that looks great, well done" and she said it was because she had a good teacher. I was very proud. That was a teary mammy moment.

Only thing is DD aged 3 wants a turn. Don't know what to do other than do it with her on my knee and let her have her hands on mine.

Thank you for that, I'm sure that they don't do any harm and sometimes we worry too much these days...also the tip to stop them cooking after they are removed from the water.

That is a lovely touching moment...I'm still an old softie...and bless your YD too...

Think I'll pop out and get the egg cup and timer...Just got time before Wilkinsons close...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Sunshine4
    Sunshine4 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    Byatt you where very brave going out in that, hope the owners apprecate all you have done for their moggies.Hope your feeling better now.

Fuddle I just might try and make a rice bag, had one but it fell apart it was so old. I would love one for winter so will go and look for some scraps to make it with.

The rain has at last stopped here about an hour ago but it is stil very dark so not sure how long its off for. Would love to put some towels out as its very windy and would help dry them.
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • Popperwell
    Options
    Maybe I'll do that bubble wrap on windows...I've heard of tin foil behind radiators...never had to think about any of this before but now...

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    She just wanted to press the peddle so she sat on the floor pressing and I sewed it for her. I did fear for my fingers but at least they're both happy sat watching TV with their little bundles of heat.
  • Popperwell
    Options
    Sunshine4 wrote: »
    Byatt you where very brave going out in that, hope the owners apprecate all you have done for their moggies.Hope your feeling better now.

Fuddle I just might try and make a rice bag, had one but it fell apart it was so old. I would love one for winter so will go and look for some scraps to make it with.

The rain has at last stopped here about an hour ago but it is stil very dark so not sure how long its off for. Would love to put some towels out as its very windy and would help dry them.

I don't have a sewing machine and am not a brilliant hand sower but I think even I could do that. You may have to tell me what rice to use and suggest what kind of material too...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure