PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options

Am very honoured the new thread has name I suggested - well almost thank you.

I couldn't remember the exact wording of what you suggested pah I'm sure I can change the title. Did I get it wrong?:doh:

MrsL would you shout and tell he who knows a very big thank you from me and no doubt a very big eye roll from DH when I tell him of the job he has got to look forward to. :D:rotfl: Actually I quite fancy the challenge myself :eek:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Oh you lot are just bloooming fantastic. I only have to think and you're there with solutions. Don't ya just love the thougher threads :D

Pink has all the old installments on post 2. Looking forward to see how tough we thought it would get to how tough it actually is. :eek:

Hello to any lurkers who want to join in too. You might notice that I didn't chat in all the old tougher threads as was too nervous. Now you can't shut me up :rotfl::D;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can do - have done!!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Am very honoured the new thread has name I suggested - well almost thank you.
    fuddle wrote: »
    I couldn't remember the exact wording of what you suggested pah I'm sure I can change the title. Did I get it wrong?:doh:

I think I've sorted it to what preparedathome originally suggested.

The sun is trying very hard to get out here....I just asked Mr Pink if it was sunbathing weather and he replied, 'the back garden's like a swimming pool' Well, you have to look on the bright side, that means I can have a swim as well! :D

Seriously though, it's nice enough today to go and spend some time in the greenhouse potting up the chillies and peppers. Have a good day everyone!:)

Pink
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well my bargain slug pellets are on their way and greenfingers have taken the money and emailed me to say they are en route so am very happy at my bargain, as with all this wet weather am going through slug pellets but at least keeping my vegetables safe. I noticed they have stopped selling the slug pellets for 1p and they are now £2.64 each, me thinks it was a mistake on the site but hey they could have refused to take my money and cancelled the order so they obviously are quite happy to sell me them for that price, well am a good customer have bought plenty from them at full price so although I feel a bit guilty at paying so little am pleased as well to get a real bargain for a change.....will stop hubby moaning how much my hobby is costing us and how it would just be cheaper to buy organic vegetables and change the garden into a massive car park - he would like to cover the lot in tarmac , I would feel I was living in an office rather than a home, bad enough next door have done that to their front garden and park their cars on it but theirs is small, they can just squeeze two of their cars on it - they have 5, whoever gets home first parks their cars there and the rest like most of us on this side of the road park them on the wide pavement on other side of road as road to narrow and busy to park actually on it - where as my side garden would hold a few dozen cars and would be horrible.

Not been outside yet but today its dry and sunny and will be taking granddaughter clothes shopping - she has £60 on her and its burning a hole in her pocket. Not that she needs more clothes or anything else but she has the money and so wants to spend it....

Painkillers are working at last, been slow to kick in today and so just had shower and cleaned teeth so as soon as dry off out we will go - me not to spend anything as apart from £8 in the copper jar I do not have a bean till Tuesday
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fuddle, I have a rice bag and it came with instructions to stand a cup of water in the microwave with it when heating. I think it can eventually catch fire after many reheatings if you don't have some moisture in the microwave at the same time
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    3 pages already!! I wondered where you'd all got to. :D

Well, the red alert was right, it's absolutley hell here :eek:...I have just had a nightmare journey trying to get to my cats. The rivers have burst their banks, well more than their banks, fields and roads are covered. I was terrified, I have just got back in. There are ambulances, police and fire engines flying all over the place...the water from the fields is a torrent and covering the roads, not even the recent flood defences have made any difference. A 3 mile trip turned into a 12 mile trip :eek: as I tried to find roads that were not closed. As it was the floods I went through had me scared to death. A light on my car kept flashing on, and i have no idea what it was for. And even in this weather there are still idiots on the road.:mad:

Got to client's cat, who was glad to be in, shot through the door as had been out all night, and put down enough food for 2 days, oh and water, but the power had gone, so no water, so I scooped up rain water in her bowls.

The next client's road was closed from both ends, I did try both and the detour was awful, so can't get to them at all. I did put extra food down last night and they have water. I am so cross with myself as I usually make sure a standby is on...well, standby, that a neighbour had a key, but somehow didn't expect this. But I don't think the emergency serives will be too impressed if I insist on trying to get through and then get stuck. :o

Honestly it's scary how unprepared we all are, despite news items. S*d the snow, what happens when it floods...I mean, everywhere floods...I think even I need sand bags, as the water is not clearing away in the drain. Man- hole covers were bubbling up on the road!:eek::eek:

I don't want to go out again....:(
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Byatt hunny, that sounds scary but in true MSE style you have standby plans and have left extra food and water down for the moggies. Hope you are ok. Its actually sunny in Manchester but for how long ??? Am resiting putting the washing out as I will jinx it :eek:
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done BYATT - you obviously have a real amount of 'Dunkirk Spirit' to be out in this awfullness, I hope the Puttycats owners appreciate how dedicated you are. Stay home now and stay safe - I think you deserve not just 2 but 3 cuppas for that!!!!!!! AND tadaah A BIKKIT!!!!!!! Slurps from Docky and Love from me Lyn xx.
  • Evie74_2
    Evie74_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Byatt - glad you are home safely after your nightmare journey. Hope the moggies appreciate you! I am sure their owners will - not many people would risk life and limb to do what you've done today. Can you stay put now for a bit or do you have to go out again later?

We were badly affected by the floods in 2007, I drove against a torrent of water to try and get my big DD from nursery (I was pregnant with little DD at the time) - it was terrifying :eek:. I got to her but couldn't get home again. Fortunately I managed to get to my mum's house and we stayed the night there. My stepdad had a 4x4 at the time and even he couldn't get through the water.

DH was trapped at work until midnight but eventually managed to get home. There were rescue helicopters everywhere and all the roads were closed - it was like something out of a film! Nobody had any power at all; we were luckier than some as we still had water but many were without clean water for days. We were also counting our blessings that we live on a hill as so many were flooded out.

My thoughts are with anyone going through all that this time around :(

Evie xx
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business