PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Foraging Challenge

Options

Comments

• Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Rose Jelly is very pale indeed lol. I think next batch will mean asking hubby to go climbing through the back of the wilderness to reach the beautiful deep red flowers I can see from my window rather than the lovely pink ones I was able to reach! TBH it doesn't seem very full of flavour either. I might have to try your recipe instead JJ.

DebtFree, I used little windfall apples (sour like the crab apples) in all sorts. They need a bit more sugar than normal apples for sweet dishes, and they are great in certain casseroles and stews or curries. I peeled them and froze in chunks, then threw them into cooking curries etc frozen. I remember Weezl's recipe here for Sour Apple Bhajee being popular on the thread, though we do our own thing with the seasonings etc we have in here. They can also go frozen straight into crumble dishes mixed with sweeter fruit like banana to be topped with crumble and baked. I remember doing a mango cutney replacing half the mango quantity with windfall apples, but I can't remember which recipe it was - I just found it online so have a google and see what you fancy :) It worked very nicely.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    Many Thanks for the crab apple replies - we get loads so I have a few options! I always thought they gave you a bad tummy! Perfect!

xxxxx
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many Thanks for the crab apple replies - we get loads so I have a few options! I always thought they gave you a bad tummy! Perfect!

xxxxx

Thats what my mother always told me too lol!

I saw earlier on mention of nettles still being harvestable. There are tons around our way. I had meant to grab some in spring but didn't get around to it grrr. Any tips for harvesting them this late? I would love to get some in the freezer as we love our greens (usually end up having in some form or another every evening !!! )
    Love and compassion to all x
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Well done:j

Looks like there are loads of recipes out there for honeysuckle. I fancy the sorbet option:
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/back-to-the-basics-hope-for-the-best-prepare-for-the-worst/honeysuckle-heres-some-recipes-to-try-next-time-they-bloom/10150290286345242

None of the recipes mention removing the stamen so less work which is better!:T

Great thanks, I won't bother next time (although glad I did as I found a caterpillar inside one - yum :/
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    Elderflower . . . smells delightful too.

_pale_ I think it smells awful - nauseating! There's always loads around though. Does it taste like it smells? If not I might have a go.
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    _pale_ I think it smells awful - nauseating! There's always loads around though. Does it taste like it smells? If not I might have a go.

I think it tastes nice but don't like the smell of the flowers. It is quite a sharp taste and people with a sweet tooth tend not to like it.
    Boodle wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge of red flowering currants???
    Are these the same as red currants? If so I have loads in my garden (not yet) and use them mixed with other fruit for summer pudding, mainly, and crumble. I like red currant jelly but have not made some myself. This Christmas I bought some red currant and cranberry jelly for use on Christmas day. I loved it and thought I would try to make something similar myself this year. Don't know what I would use that is grown locally instead of cranberries thought.

My rosepettal jelly tastes lovely but I think I must of over cooked it as it is very thick and sort of syrupy. I think it might go rock solid if I leave it too long. It tastes so nice that I will definitely try again. I've been around dead heading all the roses in an effort to encourage them to flower again.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »

i agree - can't stand the smell of it - would rather wait for the berries :cool:
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • Aldahbra
    Options
    If you click on the # on the top right of the post, it will open up that post individually. Then just copy the url and save it as 'then change the name accordingly'.

Thats how I do would do it. Have a play and see!

Thanks, that works. I've started a list at the start. I've run out of time now but hope to get all the recipes etc that are posted.
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    left to spend £400
  • Aldahbra
    Options
    Boodle wrote: »
    I just soaked 10 lavender heads in 750ml water for 3 days, then strained it into a pan with 750g preserving sugar and the juice of half a lemon and boiled for about 7 minutes I think. It was very nice. I would imagine a redder rose would give a prettier colour but mine are quite a pale pink.

Should have mentioned that quantity gave me 5 jars full .

Is this what you did to the rose petals? Other than colour turn out? Did you need to strain the petals out, in the recipe I used, which went a bit wrong, I just boiled them up.
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    left to spend £400
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    as there might be a few people wanting to take part that are new to foraging - i thought it might be useful to learn a few plants to avoid (not a comprehensive list by any means) but it does help to know what plants are poisonous - or have poison elements to them - so i would recommend that anybody new to foraging can identify the plants to avoid.

baneberry
    black bryony
    buttercup
    columbine
    common buckthorn
    deadly nightshade
    fool's parsley
    foxglove
    hemlock
    henbane
    ivy
    laburnum