Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Foraging Challenge - Page 38

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Foraging Challenge

edited 22 July 2012 at 6:56PM in Old Style MoneySaving
375 replies 45.5K views
1323334353638»

Replies

• danniedannie Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raspberries acquired yesterday.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I know there is another thread on wild garlic/ransoms but this is a more general foraging one and it's the start of the season with the garlic and nettles already thriving and I have been picking for the last couple of weeks. I will dehydrate some for future use too. Now would be a good time to plan for the rest of the season, noting blossom on trees and in hedgerows. If it's dry I walk most days and get a feel for the best location for the various wild foods. Also stock up on plenty of suitable containers etc. and plan how you can cook and preserve. I am trying to do without much sugar now, but it's hard as traditionally preserves are quite sweet. Has anyone else started gathering yet?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • kayanniekayannie Forumite
    82 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi - Just come across this interesting thread. I am always on the look out for free food while out walking, although it is a bit thin on the ground at this time of year. However, ground elder (NOT the elder tree!) is growing well now and is a very good substitute for spinach. It is delicious lightly steamed and then stirred into pasta or an omelette. Make sure any ground growing wild food that you pick is nowhere near where dogs are exercised! It is worthwhile looking out now for plants that will produce food later in the year. While dog walking today, I have spotted a gooseberry bush and a redcurrant bush. I just have to remember where I saw them!

I'm green, not mean!
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doing dandelions, and nettle tops. Time for a recce to favourite spots, to see if still accessible, almond tree gone I notice. Found a cannabis plant last year whilst with a group. Main check for is cherry trees on common land, and apples on a 70 acre nature reserve.
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am waiting for the wild raspberries to appear in my local park, we also have plenty of blackberries and last year I found an eating apple tree so helped myself to some. I shall have to keep looking around the park especially where the old prefabs used to be because they often had fruit trees in their gardens.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310