PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Foraging Challenge

Comments

• Malfiore
    Malfiore Posts: 102 Forumite
    Hi :) Was hoping I could join in as a newbie forager?!

I have just ordered the Food for Free book and have a copy of the foraging calender that was linked earlier (thank you :D) and I'm raring to go.

First thing will be elderflower champagne! We (the OH and I) make beer and wine already but never from food, foraged or otherwise, so I'm excited to give it a go.

Lavender cakes sound delicious as well...
    Weight 21/08/12 - 11st 4lb :eek: Target of 10st....
    11st 2lbs...
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    River cottage just had felicity foraging pig nuts:j

If you haven't seen it already, catch it on 4OD!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    as there might be a few people wanting to take part that are new to foraging - i thought it might be useful to learn a few plants to avoid (not a comprehensive list by any means) but it does help to know what plants are poisonous - or have poison elements to them - so i would recommend that anybody new to foraging can identify the plants to avoid.

baneberry
    black bryony
    buttercup
    columbine
    common buckthorn
    deadly nightshade
    fool's parsley
    foxglove
    hemlock
    henbane
    ivy
    laburnum
    meadow saffron
    mistletoe
    monkshood
    spindle tree
    white byrony
    white hellebore
    woody nightshade
    yew (leaves and berry)

hope this will help ;)

Wow thanks that is a really useful list. I can only recognise some of those, so I need to look a few up.

Welcome Malfiore, the more the merrier, this is going to be new to a lot of us. I have always foraged a bit but now I'm planning to take it to a whole new level and have a lot to learn.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Got four pints of elderflower champagne on the go :D It would be more but someone had beat me to the flowers on the lower branches and I couldn't reach much on that tree even sat on OH's shoulders. I'll pick some more elsewhere tomorrow.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Malfiore
    Malfiore Posts: 102 Forumite
    Thanks Aldahbra :)

I'm excited to get started!!
    Weight 21/08/12 - 11st 4lb :eek: Target of 10st....
    11st 2lbs...
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Foraged some more of the raspberries that have been planted by the birds in our garden last night, there is a huge crop this year.
    I did have to peel some snails off the canes first though!:eek:
  • jumblejack
    edited 5 July 2012 at 1:14PM
    adelight wrote: »
    Got four pints of elderflower champagne on the go :D It would be more but someone had beat me to the flowers on the lower branches and I couldn't reach much on that tree even sat on OH's shoulders. I'll pick some more elsewhere tomorrow.
    :rotfl:
    That's hilarious! I'd loved to have seen that:rotfl:

Hope your results are better than mine. :(
    I'm going to try again with the champagne whilst there's still some heads worth picking.

Malforie, well done on the winemaking, etc.

I'm a total newbie regarding this but am up for the challenge. :j
    Feel free to post pics or share ideas. We could all benefit from the experience of others.

If we all pool our knowledge here, we will all come on at a tremendous pace ;)
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 July 2012 at 9:25AM
    jumblejack wrote: »
    nettles and dandelions (nettles are at their best in spring but can still be useful now),

Hi JJ - any tips on harvesting the later nettles? We have a lot around here. I remember reading not to harvest any that have flowered...?

Also, I have a bay tree and use them fresh. The plant leafs all year round so no need to stock up.

Aldahbra, the red flowering currants are a different berry to redcurrant. I used the same recipe for the rose jelly yes, but it doesn't seem to have set very well. Thinking of transferring to bottles and label as Rose Cordial for the birthday gifts.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Moorhen wrote: »
    Foraged some more of the raspberries that have been planted by the birds in our garden last night, there is a huge crop this year.
    I did have to peel some snails off the canes first though!:eek:

Eat them :D My local council actually suggests fattening up garden snails in an old fish tank, or similar, with peeling and porridge and eating them!
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • jumblejack
    edited 5 July 2012 at 9:33AM
    Boodle wrote: »
    Hi JJ - any tips on harvesting the later nettles? We have a lot around here. I remember reading not to harvest any that have flowered...?

Also, I have a bay tree and use them fresh. The plant leafs all year round so no need to stock up.

Aldahbra, the red flowering currants are a different berry to redcurrant. I used the same recipe for the rose jelly yes, but it doesn't seem to have set very well. Thinking of transferring to bottles and label as Rose Cordial for the birthday gifts.

I put mine through the juicer then dilute it with fizzy lemonade.
    I will post pics after if you want as I have a couple on photobucket! Remind me if I forget!
    It's a great way to get the health benefits of the plant and they love the green frothy moustache they get too!!!!

Re: bay leaves,
    Ive read that the flavour improves when dried. Do you find it doesn't make any difference. If not, I will use them fresh too then. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family